Street names

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:39

Rhona, I can see the point you make, yes. It's curious that this particular type of naming has drifted into distortion given the thousands of people who are so protective of English grammar and the fact that the meaning completely changes without the apostrophe 's'.

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 20:23

Thank you Susie and Rhona, I am still hoping to trace it at the moment.

Alan Cobb
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 20:06

Stephen - I have no idea who the Brown was who was honoured by having a Lane named after himself or herself. As Rhona speculates, it might have been Francis Browne, but then again, it could have been William Brown, Vicar of Charlbury from 1672 to 1681, or one of the ancestors of a recent Chancellor and Prime Minister or even an ancestor of a certain Mr Brown who gave succor to a Peruvian bear found on Paddington platform!

Rhona Walker
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 19:08

Apostrophes are an extra character on the keyboard to think about so leaving it off has become the norm. Easier for the sign writer and the sorting office.... Interestingly the name of our house is Lowe's Cottage but we NEVER get correspondence with an apostrophe in the address. Pearl you can renew library books online or by phone - or ask someone to take your books into the library to renew them on the self service machine once it's up and running.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 18:41

It's three weeks, but you can always renew them.

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 17:49 (last edited on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 18:15)

Thank you for that information Jon, no luck so far. How long do they allow you to have books from library as not fast reader?

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 17:22

I'm really interested in knowing about Pooles Lane. I wonder if anyone can answer this question - why do we never see an apostrophe 's' in street names?

Rhona Walker
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 14:10

I think Mary Poole (one time landlady of the Golden Ball in the old Market House)owned land on Pooles Lane in the late 18th Century, hence the name. I'll need to check the wills we (Charlbury Heritage Group) have transcribed. Lois Hey refers to the toll house as being at Browns Lane Gate. I wonder if Browne's Lane is named after Francis Browne the moneylender who was involved in the sale of the Manor and Rectory of Charlbury in 1590 and Thames Street may well be a variation of Thomas Street. We'll do some more digging and see if we can come up with a full list of names plus changes etc.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 13:11

It might be interesting to put John Kibble's books online when they go out of copyright (1 January 2022, I think?).

I've often wondered why Thames Street is called that: it's obviously nowhere near the Thames. It's not uncommon for places to take on a name with a similar sound to their original meaning - hence "Sheep Street" becoming "Ship Street" in Oxford and elsewhere - but I'm at a loss to think what might have become "Thames". Any expert knowledge here?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 12:11

I've got copies of both as I published them. They are also in the library.

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:16 (last edited on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:18)

We have John Kibble's book in family somewhere I'm trying to locate it as I wanted have another read.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:05

A History of Charlbury by Lois Hey and Charming Charlbury by John Kibble will help.

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:56

The Charlbury Society put back the old names, Fishers Lane had become Chapel lane, Pooles Lane had become Back Lane

Andrew Chapman
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:16

The 1880 map also names 'Brown's Lane Gate' at the 'Enstone Road' crossroads. While we're on the subject, anyone know when Back Lane became Pooles Lane? And who was Poole, or Pooles, or indeed Poo Les? The 1880 and 1920 25-inch maps don't name this street at all.

Gordon Clemson
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 09:58

Funny really... Browns Lane was alway known as Bull Lane when we were growing up in the 50's
Likewise, Dyers Hill was known Station Hill.
How things change !

James Styring
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 09:34

No pun intended, Nick!?

Nick Millea
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 09:17

For the record, I have been looking at the Ordnance Survey 25-inch maps, and those for the 1880s, 1890s, 1920s and 1970s all show Brown's Lane extending from The Bull up to what is now the current Enstone Road crossroads. No sign of the name "Enstone Road" at all.

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 07:51 (last edited on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 08:10)

I have had terrible nightmare last night, driving up and down trying to find my house in Browns Lane, Enstone Rd or Workhouse Lane, was pleased to wake-up

stephen cavell
👍

Wed 13 Sep 2017, 07:16

The next question is 'who was Brown'?

Alan Cobb
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 20:14

According to the Ordnance Survey, Enstone Road is a modern, post 1970s name. Before that it was Brown's Lane all the way up to the Enstone Crossroads. The toll gate at the cross roads was known as Brown's Lane gate.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 18:23

Hopefully one of the museum people will see this thread eventually!

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 16:59

We were trying to recall a street name for Richard not a fancy restaurant Simon.
You gave me a fright then thinking I had made a mistake which often do it's the failing eye sight. :)

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 13:47

Browns Lane starts at Workhouse Lane, but the District Council won't allow Workhouse lane, However it is on some old maps and Richard F has kindly put it on the map outside the COOP.
No idea about Thomas Street as you say probably an error unless Janet or Celia know differently

Simon Walker
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 13:38

Crikey! That had me worried for a moment, Pearl. I misread what you had written as 'Christopher Grey' - renowned and widely ridiculed columnist of the Oxford Times - who rarely misses an opportunity to have his photo taken in unusual places and with the good-and-great (not necessarily at the same time, mind - extra points for that). To have pictures of him in Thames Street on CiaTnaV would be rather disturbing .... so far as I can recall, there's no fancy restaurant there.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 13:10

Ah, yes, Thames Street would make sense.

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 12:14

I'm wondering if it was somewhere near Thames Street or like you said a typo but I feel like seen that name and I wonder if Christopher Geary might know as he has some very old pictures in 'Charlbury is a Town and not a Village'. I definitely heard the name Albrights before.
Leah may come up with something as she's very good at this sort of thing.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 09:48

Where was Thomas Street, though? discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/870dcb7d-750d-4150-bb56-0140bec15cdf suggests the Albrights had property there. Just a typo?

Martin prew
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 09:31

Browns lane starts at the junction with the playing close and goes down to bull corner, enstone road starts at the junction and goes up the road.

stephen cavell
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2017, 07:53

Doesn't Browns Lane end or start at the Co-op? My address, on to which the aforesaid bus shelter backs, is definitely Enstone Rd.

Leah Fowler
👍

Mon 11 Sep 2017, 23:02

Well that isn't Browns Lane is it

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 11 Sep 2017, 22:51

Leah, it's the one at Enstone Cross roads

Leah Fowler
👍

Mon 11 Sep 2017, 22:46

There isn't a bus shelter in Browns Lane

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.