Blacksmith

Pearl Manners
👍

Mon 21 Aug 2017, 07:44 (last edited on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 07:46)

Thanks Paul that's very interesting. I love this web site people are so keen to help one. It probably seems a lot of fuss over a spade but it was Martin's beloved Grandad's he was so upset when it broke.

Paul Taylor
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 22:28

As Tony says they used to burn the old one out but I think they used to use a spoke shave and draw knife to get the new handle to fit then heat up the socket on the spade and burn it on the fit new rivet

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 20:23 (last edited on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 08:26)

Thank you so much Tony that's very kind of you, I have emailed you through this web site as to how you would you like us to get the spade to you?..... Pearl

Tony H Merry
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 19:55

Pearl I could do this at least getting the broken handle out. It's simply just a matter of heating it in the forge and the wood burns away. The metal will not be damaged. Didit recently with a mattock. As others have said you can easily get a new handle which can be fitted then. I have free use of a forge for the Cotswolds Conservation Board and it would be really simple if you are interested

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 19:16

Thank you everyone, I have discovered there is a Blacksmith living close by.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 16:36

Thanks for that Heather I'll await reply from K.Harper then decide. I actually did say that to Martin .

Heather Williams
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 16:26

You can get replacement wooden handles and then just take it to the guy in Ascott and he will be able to rivet it in but sounds more of a carpentry job to me.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 14:55

Thank you Angus. K Harper...sorry no christian name...It's a very old of sentimental value Spade. The wooden handle has broken down in the spade but is riveted in and Martin doesn't want to completely destroy it and would really appreciate it if it could be restored. It has been really well used by him over the last few months. Please let me know if you can help. We live in Charlbury.

Angus B
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 14:29

Isn't there one in Ascott? There certainly used to be fairly recently.

ukplaces.com/blacksmiths/ascott-under-wychwood/wychwood-wrought-iron

K Harper
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 14:17

May know someone but it depends what you need doing.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 13:26

Does anyone know is there a local Blacksmith please? .....Pearl

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.