Turning Point for Charlbury?

Patricia Freeman
👍

Sat 19 Aug 2017, 10:22

Deep does indeed make sourdough bread in a woodfired oven, loads of different breads, rye, mixed seed , walnut, Cotswold crunch, whole meal. It can be bought at the deli, you can also order it directly from him 07733 360623 he bakes 3 times a week, Tuesday , Thursday and Friday orders need to be done 24 hrs before, as that is how long it takes to make. Totally naturally.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Fri 18 Aug 2017, 19:16

I can certainly attest to the tastiness of Simon's tests - I'm winning my way to bacon samples by supplying flavours like blackberries and fennel shortly once the seeds mature!

And hear hear Miles, I too feel particularly proud of our town at the moment and its amazingly active community. Greatly looking forward to the Tour of Britain coming through, the community centre opening, The Curiosities and all its delicious treats, and all the rest.

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Fri 18 Aug 2017, 10:14

Yes, Deep makes some lovely sourdough from a wood fired oven, I think you can get it in the Deli?

There is a lot going on in Charlbury and I hope getting more people into the town centre will revive it.

Send me your email address Miles and I'll add you to my list of folks who want to try the stuff... and I'll get in touch when its ready.

Next seasonal batches ready sometime first week or so in September. Two new cures coming - Apple and Cinnamon and one with Elderberries and something spicy - possibly black pepper. Its all experimental at the moment so I can't guarantee that they will be fabulous but you will get a chance to influence the flavours that make it through to final production.

Expect weirdness by Christmas with things like Kimchi Sprouts and Spiced Hazelnuts. All local produce and flavours where possible.

Miles Walkden
👍

Fri 18 Aug 2017, 10:05

Thanks Simon, i did consider mentioning you in my original post but weren't sure of you plans. Also the Bakery on Hixet wood, but again, not sure what the status is there. Can anyone update us? (and, without sounding too euphemistic, where can i get old of your pork?)

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Fri 18 Aug 2017, 09:38

Watch this space Miles... in the not too distant future (next couple of months) I'm hoping to take over the old Deli building at 39 Sheep Street and will be providing some 'hot desks' for the many digital workers in Charlbury. I'm also planning to convert the basement into an area where I'll be making bacon, salami and sausages using local seasonal ingredients and sourcing from local farmers. I've a number of trial bacon batches in progress which as I've yet to get certified for I can't yet sell, but can do 'samples'... More info at thecuriosities.co.uk

Miles Walkden
👍

Fri 18 Aug 2017, 08:54 (last edited on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 09:01)

This week I was privileged to get a tour of the new community centre and I can say it is a wonderful building. That we now have such a facility in Charlbury is great news. After a massive amount of hard work the new Deli has opened and wow! that really has exceeded all expectations. As a family we took friends for dinner at The Bull this month and had a fantastic meal in a really good restaurant. Ask anyone and the R&C has always been a truly top notch British pub and The Farmers a wonderfully quirky place. And although I have not been, The Bell is finally getting great reviews.

Is it just me or does this feel like a bit of a turning point for Charlbury?

I know the Community centre isn't quite as beautiful as it might be, the Bull's service can be a bit slow, The Bell's drinks costs can smart a bit, and the Deli's 'bacon' leaves a little to be desired, and I know it is easier to point out faults than measure out praise, but all of these things only happen with a tremendous amount of work from locals. So instead of complaining, I want to say a huge Thank You to all those who, over the last couple of years have worked so hard to make this potential change happen; to all who donated time or money to the projects and to anyone who will now go out of their way to support these facilities.

The only real question is, "What's next?" See you in the Deli, with an amazing coffee, to discuss.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.