Electric blue top bins

Angus B
👍

Fri 18 Aug 2017, 08:32

Along with many others, I guess, after my blue bin was delivered, I received a letter from WODC, one paragraph of which reads, "As you have been assessed for not being suitable for a recycling bin we will endeavour to remove your property off the delivery list. Should this occur please contact us and we will arrange to have this removed."

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 21:48

To be honest, I think the wheelie bins are a far better idea than those damn recycling boxes - tried with the netting over them (never could get the damn nets to stay in place) & tried with lids but even the sturdiest lid seem to spring open scattering its contents as soon as they were toppled over & don't get me started on having to lug a waterlogged & leaky box down a long driveway. The wheelie bins should put a stop to all that 'flyaway' litter after a bin collection. So it's not filled to the brim every collection day, just hold onto it until it is. Yes I am fed up with my collection of bins but I would much rather have a few bins, than our streets covered in other people's recycling.

Heather Williams
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 17:32

" A choice should be available for normal household rubbish to have decomposable bags instead of wheelie bins. Surely the technology is available to provide these incredibly cheaply?" I don't think bags are the answer as you just get cats/dogs/foxes ripping them and mess everywhere, but for many people having three large bins is a) not necessary, or b) they have no room whatsoever to house them.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 16:46

Still waiting for ours have asked for one but not materialised as yet

Peter Bridgman
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 14:43

I would be pleased to know how Charlie M managed to return his blue topped bin back to WODC. As I said previously, I am the proud owner of two of the things. I telephoned the council and they said they would collect the spare one 3 weeks ago. It still sits outside my house. It is too big to go into my car!

Charlie M
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 11:00

Quite so.
And if you get a robin sat above a goldfinch that is in turn sat above a greenfinch, the whole can easily be mistaken for a traffic light.
And talking of birds, William Blake is always misquoted; he liked to take the 12-bore out at the weekend, and what he actually wrote about was the green and Pheasant land ...

Miles Walkden
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 10:51

I'd like to complain about Robbins. Chirpy little buggers, coming into my garden with their ostentatious bright red breasts, ruining my supposedly "green and pleasant". And dont get me started on goldfinches...

Charlie M
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 08:59 (last edited on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 08:59)

Not just in Charlbury, but throughout the country, it seems ... the vistas of our lovely country towns and villages are being ruined by these massed phalanxes of wheelie bins and associated artillery.
No, I will not blame WODC alone ... it is a disease that has swept the country in the last 20 years or so. I know that my post might (reasonably) be seen as attempting to lock the door after the horse has bolted, but it seems to me that the Wheelie Bin Revolution is largely the result (as with so many local government matters) of decisions being made by those unqualified to do so, and with no comprehension of the hideousness of the results of those decisions.
Two suggestions (and I realise that everyones' needs are different, and that this is from a sole homeowner who does not create a lot of rubbish):-
1) A choice should be available for normal household rubbish to have decomposable bags instead of wheelie bins. Surely the technology is available to provide these incredibly cheaply?
2) A sole homeowner does *NOT* (generally speaking) need a massive electric blue top bin (or any other colour top, for that matter!) for their recycling needs. For myself, it is an event if I actually fill one of those boxes. And I am conscientious about my recycling.
Once again, WODC has imposed this upon us. No choice, not even a survey. I sent my blue top bin back; I already have quite enough WODC "refuse collection detritus" outside my house!

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 17:34

Thanks Christine. What a palaver.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 15:14

The start date for the blue bins is October. In September we get our new calendars & instructions. Not looking forward to having 5 bins to put out in recyling weeks: kitchen caddy; 2 x garden bins; 1 x huge recycling bin (will often not bother to put this out as so few things can go into it!); box for glass; box for electricals + other odd containers for batteries, shoes etc. Huh!

mandy
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 14:37

It don't start till September

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 14:27

I know I should know the answer to this but confess I'm getting a little confused with all the sorting of rubbish and recycling.
I've put the blue lid thing out for two weeks now and it's never been emptied. Does anyone know when it might be?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.