S3 bus

Ian Lewis
👍

Wed 6 Sep 2017, 21:15

Changes in west oxfordshire but not the S3....

www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/15519031.Improvements_to_bus_services_after_public_have_their_say/

Mark Sulik
👍

Sun 3 Sep 2017, 00:56

An over paid Senior IT director with a good idea- should have asked the drivers !

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 2 Sep 2017, 11:52

I trust the driver, rather than the "Plan a Journey" link. The latter did not even find the no 7 or N7 buses when I tried using it for journeys from Oxford to Charlbury last week, only the S3 options (& not via Chippy).

The S3 driver was extremely critical of the role of computers in devising the new S3 timetables. He said that the drivers had not been consulted, and that there had been loads of complaints from customers. I haven't yet complained to Stagecoach about the way it is NOT personalised properly for Charlbury, despite the claims. But I would like Stagecoach to change the timetable first! The timetable is also very poor for those heading out to Oxford for an evening.

Peter Evans
👍

Sat 2 Sep 2017, 04:19 (last edited on Sat 2 Sep 2017, 04:19)

If you use their "Plan a Journey" it tells you to get off in Enstone and wait for the bus to come back (and charges two fares!)

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 1 Sep 2017, 16:35 (last edited on Fri 1 Sep 2017, 17:39)

For those wanting a S3 bus returning from Oxford Mon - Fri between 17.25 and 19.45, I have now been told by one of the S3 drivers that getting the 17.45 to Chippy & remaining on the bus as it turns back via the Enstone Rd and The Bell (gets in at 19.00) counts as only 1 fare, and should not involve getting off the bus. The timing doesn't work on Saturdays. Of course, it would help if Stagecoach showed this as an option on their -- very confusing -- new timetables.

This is in addition to the no 7 bus that leaves Oxford at 18.27 (gets to Charlbury Wychwood Close 19.30).

Like Deborah, I haven't had a reply from Stagecoach about the timetable changes, even though they are supposed to reply within 2 days. I also note that Stagecoach does not seem to have registered the existence of the Tour of Britain Cycle Race. This is not included in the updates about bus services on their website. Presumably, some people will be hoping to use the bus to get here on Sept 9th. PS I understand that Stagecoach has now registered the Cycle Race, and will update their website from Monday. So at least they do reply to some emails!

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Fri 25 Aug 2017, 22:08

Did receive a reply quite quickly from Robert Courts, stating he was going to contact Stagecoach & see what he could do.
It just feels like if you live in a small village & don't drive you are being penalised,
Mark, sadly I am the only person in my vast office who lives in this neck of the woods.

Peter Evans
👍

Fri 25 Aug 2017, 18:16

From my perspective, Stagecoach have done a pretty good job in maintaining a direct service (fairly regularly) between Charlbury and Oxford. I can understand that some of the recent timing changes have had a bad impact on some people (Deborah in particular) and there are some new gaps. I can't see how using smaller buses and having to change in Woodstock would be any improvement. My main criticism is that the S3, 7 and N7 timetables should be consolidated.

Jo King
👍

Fri 25 Aug 2017, 16:18

Not sure Stagecoach really cares much for Charlbury, if it did, surely it wouldn't run massive empty double Deckers through our narrow streets. It could be more considerate and run smaller buses to connect with the regular Oxford to Chipping Norton/Stratford service in Woodstock.

Mark Sulik
👍

Wed 23 Aug 2017, 14:47

Possible lift share option ?

catherine searby
👍

Wed 23 Aug 2017, 13:05

I too work in Summertown.I have emailed Stagecoach twice but haven't received a reply.My main complaint is that there is no bus between 07:22 and 09:32 ( except on a Saturday )I will contact Robert Courts too.

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Wed 23 Aug 2017, 07:13

Suzie - because I work in Summertown. It would mean paying extra for train & then a bus! I already shell out £110 per month for my bus as it is! To pay for both would not make it economically viable to do my job!

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 23 Aug 2017, 00:04

Deborah why don't you get the train?

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Tue 22 Aug 2017, 07:23

After now having a week of not getting home much before 8pm - see previous post - I have had enough!
With no response to my lengthy email, I feel it is high time we take our fight, & complaints to the media. With
Autumn & Winter, & dark nights gaining pace as well. This needs to be resolved sooner, rather than later!
I have already sent an email to Robert Courts (not holding my breath) & aim to do letters/ emails to all local press. Unfortunately, these days, it appears that this is the only way to get large companies to take our concerns seriously!
Please, please can I urge all other users of this service, who have been affected by these changes to do the same. Maybe,
just maybe by doing so our voices might be heard.
It is desperate for me since if the old timetable is not reinstated, I will have no choice but to look for work nearer to home only 3 months after starting this one, which I am loving!

Matt Bullock
👍

Thu 17 Aug 2017, 09:46

I have commented to Stagecoach who advise me "All feedback on this matter has been greatly appreciated and we are currently collating all comments for the management team." Which may be just jargon, but perhaps if enough people express their views they may consider changes.

catherine searby
👍

Thu 17 Aug 2017, 09:46

I have emailed Stagecoach but have yet to receive a reply.The more people that complain the better.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 17 Aug 2017, 08:53 (last edited on Thu 17 Aug 2017, 08:54)

Deborah, I hope you are emailing Stagecoach to complain. Not only is the new timetable for Charlbury very poor, but they need signs up at the bus stops in Oxford!

You could also investigate getting the S3 17.55 from Summertown to Chippy. This then gives a link to come back through Charlbury, gets in at 19.00. But I'm not sure if this is the same bus that simply waits for a few minutes in Chippy, and whether you would need to pay twice. If you find out, please let others know because I'm sure that many people will be stuck.

I think a dispute between the no 7 bus drivers and Stagecoach about the proposed timetable changes meant that the final timetable was something of a compromise. I am hoping that Stagecoach might be willing to change things if enough people object.

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 22:05

Having been off work for a week, I came back blissfully unaware of these changes. My S3 turned up as usual at 07:20 this morning, so had no inkling of what was to come...
After finishing work at 17:30, I headed to the bus stop in Woodstock Road ready to pick the 17:35 bus up (reaches my stop at 17:55). I waited, and waited...it was only thanks to a lovely local chap his name eludes me at this time of night) who is a Stagrcoach driver & who was driving a bus going in the opposite direction. He, bless him, made his passengers wait whilst he ran across the road to inform me that my wait was going to be an exceptionally long one, since, for reasons only known to the idiots at Stagecoach there now is no bus between 17:30 & 19:30 going to Charlbury (apart from the S7, which meant me retracing my steps complete with heavy shopping bags back to Banbury Road to pick that up at 18:41). I cannot thank this chap enough. It is no wonder he won 'Bus Driver of the Year' a couple of years ago!
This is beyond crazy - I fail to believe that I am the only person in Oxford who finishes work at 5:30 & needs to get back to Charlbury?
I have only just started my job and was so pleased to find that he buses worked well with my working hours. Now I have 45minutes to try to fill, not to mention not getting home until gone half past seven!!
This going to be brilliant in the wintertime!!!

Peter Evans
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 10:00

So the Friday night bus should be OK as it leaves at 00:05 on Saturday.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 17:54

Well spotted, Graham. It looks as if concessionary passes won't work on the N7 on weekdays, but will work on Saturdays. On weekdays passes work between 9 - 24.00. Oxford SmartZone passes and children's fares are also affected.

Angus B
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 17:53

Senior Citizens' passes can't be used after 11.00 pm but I don't know about others.

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 17:19

The last bus to Charlbury (N7 at 0005 from Oxford Station) is listed 'Night bus fares apply'. What are Night Fares and is the use of bus passes affected?

Matt Bullock
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 14:35

I'd hardly call these "major improvements" - not if you live in Charlbury. The 2345 bus used to go to Enstone after it had called in Charlbury. Now the 2345 S3 calls instead at Kiddington turn between Woodstock and Charlbury. I'd have thought there was more demand to go to Charlbury than Kiddington and I have asked Stagecoach why this change has been made.

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 14:21

Living by the bus stop at Fiveways, I get at least one enquiry a week from bewildered visitors about buses (usually to Oxford). They even sometimes ring the bell! I think I may have inadvertently become the local Tourist Information Office, as I also get weekly enquiries from cyclists, e.g. how do we get To Spelsbury/Taston/Chipping Norton from here?
Lately I've found it really hard to give them information. The bus timetables seem to change so frequently.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 14:13 (last edited on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 14:16)

People also need the no 7 bus timetable. It is here: tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/Oxford_Timetables/temp/S3_13_Aug_2017.pdf

This solves the late night bus from Oxford problem -- the N7 leaves Oxford Station at 00.05 & runs via Summertown & Oxford Parkway to The Bell. But the stops are different in Oxford (goes via the Banbury Rd rather than the Woodstock Rd) -- also not George St, but Magdalen St, so people need to be careful!

But there is now an even longer gap in the evenings from Oxford: nothing from Gloucester Green between and 21.45 and 00.05. It also does not solve the Woodstock by 9 a.m. problem, unless you are willing to arrive half an hour or so early.

It's even worse for those who want to be in Summertown or central Oxford for a 10.a.m. appointment or class. It would be necessary to use the 7.28 S3 bus from The Bell. I intend to let Stagecoach know that this is a rotten idea!

Peter Evans
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 13:38

It was announced on 29th June (with a bit more spin than substance)

We're changing our services for Woodstock, Chipping Norton and surrounding area

29 Jun 2017

The last bus to Woodstock....... gets even later

Following extensive customer consultation, Stagecoach is pleased to announce major improvements to bus services from Chipping Norton, Charlbury, Woodstock and Yarnton, including

• Earlier buses
• Later buses
• More buses on Sunday evenings
• New service linking Yarnton with Oxford Parkway

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-29/06/2017-11:46:40:119

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 12:40

And what about the late bus from Oxford. Where is that!

catherine searby
👍

Tue 15 Aug 2017, 12:18

Was anyone else surprised to see the changes to the S3 timetable.There is no longer an 08:25 into Oxford.I have to be in Woodstock by 09:00. I do feel that Stagecoach did not give much notice of the changes.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.