Entry to Wilderness Festival

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 6 Aug 2017, 10:23 (last edited on Sun 6 Aug 2017, 10:24)

I am sorry to report that the North Gate Box Office closed early on Saturday. I am not sure what time it closed, but it was certainly shut up by 4.45, leaving at least 2 local residents who had walked up to the house in difficulties, and being redirected to the Red Box Office, via Finstock. Since I already had a wristband, I could enter. The others weren't so lucky.

This shows a real lack of care and concern for local residents. I did report the issue at the Info Desk (could not get online to see the complaints phone no), it would be interesting to know if it was subsequently reopened, and also how long it is open for today.

Susan Terry
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 22:54

We're just back from the festival site: no problem at all entering through North Gate and very quickly got our wrist bands from the portakabin. The site looked fabulous! Have a great festival everyone!

Shelagh Scott
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 22:19

Sorry Andrew - your posting wasn't there when I started to write mine.

Shelagh Scott
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 21:58

We were told mid-afternoon at North Lodge that we would have to walk to Southill, but a very helpful Australian member of the security team, James, phoned Charlotte, and then explained that we just needed to walk down the drive towards the festival, and then opposite the entrance to the boutique camping go to a portacabin on the right to collect our wristbands, so no detour at all, and in fact the same arrangement as last year. It is unfortunate that the man on the gate was so enjoying telling everyone they had to go on a long detour.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 21:51

It *was* working at 7pm - see my other posting too! You have to walk past the lodge and all the way up to the house then turn left - follow the road and there's a Portakabin (other manufacturers of temporary buildings are also available) where you can exchange tickets for wristbands, and then you can walk over to the white-tented entrance. It's just that 'North Lodge' is a bit misleading!

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 20:41

North Lodge registration for locals was not working at around 7pm - see my other posting.

Sandra
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 19:31

Thanks very much

John Munro
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 18:34

There really ought to be a sign directing ALL pedestrians towards North Lodge, even if non-locals then have to use the footpath across to the Southill entrance, because loads of festival-goers are walkmg all the way along main road to Finstock, with suitcases, backpacks, camping gear etc. Had to take avoiding action a couple of times on my way back from Witney just now, as you suddenly come across them on blind bends and walking rwo-abreast!

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 17:58 (last edited on Thu 3 Aug 2017, 20:30)

It's the entrance round Grammar School hill, then right down under avenue of trees , over bridge, there you are Sandra, North Lodge. We always used that entrance in the past, so convenient.

Sandra
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 17:54 (last edited on Thu 3 Aug 2017, 17:55)

Hi, sorry I haven't lived in Charlbury very long, could someone confirm where North Lodge is

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 17:11

Thanks. Well done Peter - a result !!

Claire Wilding
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 16:57

Hooray, many thanks Peter. Didn't fancy pushing my buggy to Finstock .

Peter Kenrick
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 16:51 (last edited on Thu 3 Aug 2017, 17:01)

I have just spoken to Dave McCalmont of the Wilderness Team who tells me that the staff at North Lodge are being re-briefed to allow local resident access to the festival via that entrance. If anyone still has problems then please call the Wilderness Hotline 0203 026 6184 and also please let me know at peter.kenrick48@gmail.com or on 01608 811021

Michael Flanagan
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 16:46

What the ****?

This happens most years early on the Thursday. Late in the afternoon, there's usually an apology from some Wilderness honcho - but in the meantime, lots of us have wasted hours because of Wilderness's inability to talk to each other .

If on this occasion the gateperson is telling the truth, why has no representative of Mama (Wilderness's holding company) communicated this to the licensing authorities? It's an absurd slap in the faces of the people whose support Wilderness need to stay in business, and all Charlburians should remember it when Mama applies for a licence next time.

If it's true, Mama clearly have decided they don't need the support of their hosts. We won't forget.

If though, as usual, Wilderness has forgotten to brief its staff properly - why can't they get this simple arrangement right after all these years?

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 16:36

Charlotte perhaps you could let us all know. If you want to cut down on traffic then it would be best to let all Charlbury residents have entry via North Lodge.

Jeremy Smyth
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 16:22

Festival goers are being refused entry via North Lodge, which means walking along the footpath to intercept the Southill entrance and entering via the general campsite. This is very inconvenient for locals who are not camping and a change from last year, and it will be a difficult walk after dark. All the publicity stated that North Lodge would be one of the entrances. What are they thinking? The officials on the gate say it's down to the new management team at Wilderness.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.