Wilderness Festival - Residents Phone Number for Noise

russell robson
👍

Fri 4 Aug 2017, 09:50

They can use the footpath via north Lodge and were yesterday. It's not closed and is signposted

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 16:15

festival goers walking to Finstock gate from Charlbury where they are staying.. Not allowed in via North Lodge. Very dangerous and a long way. I have left a message on Charlottes number.

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍

Wed 2 Aug 2017, 09:23

That's what I hoped - but although modern tel. technology does all sorts, it is in fact a London number - Anyway, let's hope the system works.

Robin Taylor
👍

Tue 1 Aug 2017, 17:55

Helen, wouldn't that be the 24 hr site office number Charlotte quoted at the start of this thread?

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍

Tue 1 Aug 2017, 13:48

Charlotte, if you are reading this thread, I wonder would you confirm what I thought was agreed when we met to discuss this problem in London last year: i.e.there would be a special number we could call if the noise got unbearable which would go straight through to stewards on site on Cornbury who could then come out and monitor on site complaints. Having a centralised number based in Liverpool doesn't answer the problem, because, as has been mentioned before, no-one wants to call out and wait for someone from the Cotswold District Council to come. All we want is bed - or someone immediately on the scene to come and see what the noise level is - as has been mentioned this can fluctuate all over the town. Thank you for programming no beat music after 11.0 p.m. on Sunday. Helen Bessemer-Clark

Susie Burnett
👍

Tue 1 Aug 2017, 11:25 (last edited on Tue 1 Aug 2017, 12:52)

Although apparently this 70-year-old can hula hoop through an entire song, Russell :)

russell robson
👍

Mon 31 Jul 2017, 21:40

Is there a number to phone to support the festival.

Given the headliner on Sunday is a 70 year old lady I'm assuming we'll all me in bed early. With apologises to all you pensionable ravers out there!

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 31 Jul 2017, 20:36 (last edited on Tue 1 Aug 2017, 05:53)

It only bothers Me when it carrys on into the early hour of Monday who's attacking Richard ?,good for those it doesn't bother and to be honest i don't really care if they do build 34 houses there people have to live some where if some one wants to invest money to build house good luck to them I suppose your against that.

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 31 Jul 2017, 19:11 (last edited on Mon 31 Jul 2017, 19:12)

I'm saddened by how vitriolic some of the NIMBY comments are. As others have pointed out its only once a year. I live close to it and it has never bothered me. On the other hand I suppose the NIMBYs might prefer 34 dwellings to be built on Grammar School Hill. Just think of them as sort of noise cushions.
Also, please stop attacking Richard who has spent and does spend so much time providing this wonderful website.
Will everyone calm down please? In a week or so it'll just be a memory.

Tony H Merry
👍

Mon 31 Jul 2017, 16:50

Correct but I assume this is where the out of hours service is located and then i was told they put you through to the local on call service

Angus B
👍

Mon 31 Jul 2017, 15:48

0151 code is for Liverpool...!

Tony H Merry
👍

Mon 31 Jul 2017, 15:41

Hi again
Its seems there is now a new number (its is a centralised service with Cotswold District Council) but they will still investigate

The number is 0151 3432945

Tony H Merry
👍

Sat 29 Jul 2017, 21:53

This issue has been the subject of much debate in previous years and I have previously looked into this in detail

The licence for the event is quite clear about noise levels and how they are monitored. This has not changed from previous years. If you feel there is excessive noise then there is a 24hr tel number 01993 705056 at Environmental Health at West Oxfordshire to report this and ask them to check

One problem is that your feelings on noise are subjective. However the licence for Wilderness uses an accepted measure Decibels
This is a scientific measurement and there are phone apps which can do this and I have used
The licence gives a figure of 65 decibels after 11.00
Noise is monitored at sites closest to the festival.
Also things like wind direction can afftect how noise travels
Finally when this was a problem previously we were tole it was from Bars which are not directly controlled by the Wilderness organisers so all the more important to report it

Previously when we checked no complaints had been made so it is far better to report the noise nuisance rather than suggesting connivance with the organisers. If you feel you are being bothered by noise from Wilderness then you should get the evidence which can then be put to the organisers

Paul Taylor
👍

Sat 29 Jul 2017, 16:11

Please explain what part was libellous Richard.?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 29 Jul 2017, 11:17

Keep cool Paul! Either the Festival will look after its long term future by self-policing noise levels and cut off times, or it will fail to do so, generate many complaints and then fail to get its licence renewed. That would be a shame for the likes of Thomas, but the future of the event lies in the hands of the organisers and the attendees.

Pearl rightly points out that some of the late night noise is attendees playing their own music. The event organisers need to take some charge of that aspect too if they want to retain goodwill (and their licence).

That said, it's only one weekend a year - live and let live!

Oh, and then there's Riverside, which at times to me sounds less like music, more like howling banshees! I'm just hoping that the wind is blowing in the right direction!

At least there is stuff going on around Charlbury for young and old alike.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 22:04

Because in my view it was potentially libellous and, as I said, as the person who runs this site, I have no desire to get sued. You clearly don't think it's libellous and that's fine, but put simply, on a site I run, I have to be the one that assesses what might get me sued. You can always set up your own site instead and take the risk upon yourself, or maybe try Facebook? Mark Zuckerberg has more money than I do...

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 21:37

Why was it out of order I was at the meeting and there was clearly no interest in keeping the noise down on The Sunday night, every year the last night it's loud nothing's done about it and there is people that for there own agenda are siding on Chatlotttes side I do understand as others have pointed out it raises money for local businesses and the preschool after 4 nights when it starts affecting people's wellbeing it's wrong as others have said Cornbury festival closes at a sensible time perhaps Cornbury is a more thoughtful neighbor to the locals down there 12.30 is fair every year you blame the campers if that's the case move the campsite

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 21:16

Paul, yours was not the bribery comment (that was Nadine's) but it was out of order nonetheless.

christopher edeson
👍

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 20:51 (last edited on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 20:57)

www.boots.com/health-pharmacy/travel-health/ear-plugs#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:list&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 19:05

What I put as a comment was fact i never said any thing about Bribery get your fact correct Richard there was people in the meeting in her pocket there was no mention about back hander money changing hands. But a few people that were backing her 100% I find it quit upsetting you would say that clearly you don't care about people's sleep being disturbed for 4 nights running people who have no wish to attend

christopher edeson
👍

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 16:09

Totally second Thomas Griffiths post. Its 1 weekend a year and great for the area and i shall be enjoying again this year.

Thomas Griffiths
👍

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 10:26

I know I am thoroughly looking forward to Wilderness. I never fail to enjoy it and its a great advert for Charlbury and the surrounding area. Needless to say it is a massive boost to the local economy (the pubs/ B&Bs / the new and extremely well done Charlbury Deli to name a few of the local businesses that stand to benefit). I am not saying this because I am in "Charlotte's pocket" which I personally think is a ridiculous comment. I am saying this because for the young people of Charlbury, like myself, it is the local highlight of the year and its a great chance to have a weekend reunion with many of my friends who also grew up in Charlbury but have since moved away. Long may it last...

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 10:16

[Allegations of bribery are potentially libellous and not something I can allow on a site for which I'm legally responsible. Please keep it legal and factual. --Richard]

Paul Taylor
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 20:51

To be honest as long as the noise levels are sensible and are gone Sunday night for those that go back to work on Monday morning I went to the meeting at the bell and [deleted --Richard]. Personally I think it always gets louder on the last night.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 20:04

Is that referring to me? I am no longer on the town council, and Wychwayz are not dancing this year because they have reached capacity and can't fit us on the site. That stage is technically amazing, which is what I was trying to get across, but obviously I used the wrong words.

NADINE MILLS
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 19:48

Cornbury festival - noise ceased by 12.30 each night - that was a great cut off!

NADINE MILLS
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 19:20

[Deleted --Richard]

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 19:14

It could be the campsites Pearl, as the 4am stage is in a quarry and has amazing soundproofing (unless you're in Finstock), you can stand on ground level next to it and hear absolutely no sound. Unless they've changed it from last year.

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 18:08

4am. Oh really, well maybe it's not the Campers afterall!

Charlotte Drummond-Chew
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 18:01

Hi All,

Times for entertainment as per licence are: Thurs until 11pm Fri & Sat until 4am, Sun licensed until 2am.
Sound levels are agreed so that Thursday festival operates with no Main Stage & should be completely quiet after 11pm.

Fri & Sat Main Stage runs until 11pm, after which time we can operate on a lower level until 2am and then at a minimal level up to 4am.

Sunday ?" Main Stage again operates until 11pm then we can operate on minimal level until 2am. We've agreed that we won't programme any repetitive bass beat music after 11pm on Sunday.

The office number is for the Site Office. We normally staff the office from 8am ?" 8pm in the build and breakdown of the festival. The phone is moved to event control during the event and staffed 24 hrs during the open period of the festival. We're happy to log any noise complaints and pass on a record to the Town Council and WODC post-event, but would encourage you to let us know of problems when they arise. We may not always be able to offer an instant solution, but we will respond ?" and we have a team of people dedicated to noise monitoring on- and off-site.

The nearest campsites to Charlbury are the family campsites.

All the best,

Charlotte DC

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:49 (last edited on Tue 1 Aug 2017, 05:43)

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 10:37

I think most people wish to know the hours after which there should be no noise and on what days.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 09:37

Thanks for posting the number Charlotte - I presume residents can use this number to report any issues relating to the festival - not only noise (e.g. construction traffic, footpath issues etc.)

I understand that this phone line will be operational 24hrs per day during the festival but only from 8am to 8pm during the build-up - is this correct Charlotte? Will it also be operational during the break-down phase?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 16:27

What is the agreed cut off time each night?

Charlotte Drummond-Chew
👍

Tue 25 Jul 2017, 21:24

Hi Everyone,

Charlotte here from Wilderness Festival.

Following this year's public review meetings with Charlbury I would like to publish the phone number on here to call regarding noise coming from the festival. As previously discussed we are working hard to ensure minimal noise impact on Charlbury but if you are affected please call 0203 026 6184 which will be operational from tomorrow onwards.

Best wishes,

Charlotte DC
Event Manager

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.