Irresponsible parking

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 31 Jul 2017, 19:24

Yes Tony I agree with you. Fortunately I've never been "caught" like that, but if one is using a SatNav in an unfamiliar place (as I am doing daily now in Cornwall) it's amazing how often they try to get you to go the wrong way on one way streets! My lovely Wife has saved me from this several times. I think we get lulled into a false sense of security - and let's face it one is more concerned about not squashing a pedestrian and avoiding other vehicles, then looking at road signs.

Tony Graeme
👍

Sun 30 Jul 2017, 11:33 (last edited on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 11:51)

Driving the wrong way on one-way streets might not be entirely the drivers own fault: I can say this after having once Googled a route starting from Sheep St. The instructions were to go 'north west along Sheep St.' then 'turn right into Brown's Lane'. Needless to say I ignored them (and those for the rest of the journey, since I obviously couldn't rely on its accuracy!). [Just thought I would tell you that to keep you entertained]

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Sun 30 Jul 2017, 09:41

Although I agree with much that has been said here, as a non driver, I thankfully, have not had these problems. Equally though, I am aware that many still use their cars for short journeys to the Co-op etc, thus adding to this problem. Living as I do right up at the top of Ticknell Piece, I can assure others it is amazing quite how many bags iof shopping the human body can carry at any one time. Maybe others could try & thus cut down the congestion somewhat!

Jean Adams
👍

Sat 29 Jul 2017, 12:40

Accessing Browns Lane the wrong way from the corner. if the NO ENTRY SIGN was lowered and, in addition, a sign saying No Entry to the Bull Car park, with arrows directing along Market Street, placed on the corner of The Bull it would then become apparent to drivers the way to go.
At present visitors to Charlbury have no idea how to access the Car Park.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 29 Jul 2017, 10:51

But none of that is any use without some enforcement of the law / parking regulations, which is the responsibility of WODC.

Maybe it could be devolved down one level? Then we really would see some sparks fly as most of the offenders are local people!

chris emsden
👍

Sat 29 Jul 2017, 10:09

I've said it on here before, but the day will come where Charlbury will have to be made residents/permit holders only parking, & the rest will be double-yellow lines. Charlbury is simply too small for the volume of cars we have now, & with all these new houses being built it's only going to get worse, you cannot alter the dimensions of the streets so more drastic measures will have to be taken.

Charlie M
👍

Fri 28 Jul 2017, 18:23 (last edited on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 18:25)

I have seen one myself ... and I believe that there have been many ... cars ignoring the "one way" on Browns Lane and driving up it the wrong way from Market St./Sheep St./Church St. in order to access the pub car park. This is both arrogant and a menace, and I urge anyone witnessing such an event to photograph the errant vehicle and send it to whoever is responsible (WODC?). Also, when the pub's car park is full, the disabled space outside the Rose & Crown has been used several times as an overflow car park by patrons of the same pub. Philip's idea of a WODC "hit squad" is an excellent one, but sadly I have little confidence in that body to do anything of use ...

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 17:32

Susie. I'm sorry that you have had damage to your car. There have been many incidents of damage over the last few years, in most of the streets in Charlbury - from what I can make out. It seems to me that rather like the current observations in the news being made about tiny Venice receiving 40,000 visitors daily, off those huge cruise liners (unimagineable) we are lining Charlbury up to have hundreds of vehicles daily passing in, out and often just through little Charlbury. The County Council is hell bent on development in and around Charlbury, but like so many other places, the central infrastructure is left to cope as best it can. It strikes me that we are reaching the maximum of what can be regarded as acceptable. What is to be done? One more car park, wherever it may be, will not solve this larger problem. I am very glad, however, that the Playing Close will not be that car park.

Susie Burnett
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 12:55 (last edited on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 12:56)

Except my point was that the parking didn't slow traffic down - the car in question continued at speed, mounting the pavement where possible. I have also had my wing mirror clipped recently by an impatient driver who couldn't wait!

glena chadwick
👍

Thu 27 Jul 2017, 12:52

How odd how things come round ! Soon after we arrived here, in 1979, someone (who shall be nameless) on the Parish Council suggested turning the Playing Close into a car park. Quite rightly there were howls of protest and no more was heard of that appalling suggestion. One positive point about the parking on Enstone Road, at least it slows the traffic down.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 16:24

That funny little book called The Highway Code that you studied assiduously before your driving test, (but maybe haven't looked at since?) tells us NOT to park opposite or within 10 metres of a road junction. - That's 32 feet for Brexiteers!

Also you must not park on a road at night facing against the traffic flow - your car's red reflectors are there for a purpose.

Maybe WODC could send a hit squad to Charlbury and book / remove the illegal parkers, especially those at the bottom of Nine Acre who impede the buses and emergency vehicles?

E.W.Beard were doing very well with their Spendlove site management until very recently, since when it does seem to have rather gone to rats, with a consequential adverse impact upon the Enstone Road. Short term pain for long term gain?

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:49

Thank you.

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:28

I think you can look at the record of the Gifford Trust in protecting The Playing Close. The fact that the Playing Close hasn't been used at all during the build period demonstrates that your concerns are unfounded. The major work concludes this week so things will calm down. The Playing Close is and will remain an open space for the people of Charlbury.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:12

Parking on the Playing Close.... how much more chaos and damage can we expect in the centre of Charlbury? Is absolutely nothing sacred any more? The Playing Close was not left to the people of Charlbury in order to make a car park out of it, I am sure. We all know how these things work, don't we? Once this starts to happen as a 'one-off' - in a year or two's time it will be expected as a special dispensation, and in five years' time there will be a proposal - for the good of the people - to tarmac the lot. I am so sick of the noise, mess, chaos, damage, sloppy and selfish parking, building and overcrowding that is happening here. Can I remind people that this is allegedly a conservation area. What a farce that turned out to be. There is one thing for sure, the centre of Charlbury is no conservation area. Please leave the Playing Close alone.

Pat Court
👍

Tue 25 Jul 2017, 21:45

Well done Alison, great suggestion.

Jim Holah
👍

Tue 25 Jul 2017, 21:08

An update on behalf of Thomas Gifford Trustees. In response to the suggestion of Alison made earlier, the Playing Close has been made available for contractors to park there for the next few days, which should alleviate the pressure on the WODC car park. This should start from Wednesday morning. As the work to finish the road & pedestrian areas around the building concludes the impact on the parking should reduce. Please bear with us.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 25 Jul 2017, 19:20

Lots of cycle storage is just what the older people of Charlbury need. I can see they're falling over themselves fighting about who's going to put their bikes on the limited storage that's available at present.

George Ogier
👍

Tue 25 Jul 2017, 18:15

As Susie says, the Enstone Rd has become ridiculous. We live on Wychwood Paddocks and it makes pulling out of the street a nightmare. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to park opposite a junction anyway.

Kate Smith
👍

Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:09

Replying as a Gifford trustee I can only apologise - Beard the main contractor have been pretty good so far at phasing deliveries etc, but they are due to finish on site this week and are falling over themselves to complete everything on target, which looks like it has resulted in lots of extra vehicles. On the plus side the worst will be over by next week and there should be a relief of pressure on spaces after that. Then from the 9th September when the Centre opens officially there will be a further 20 spaces and lots of cycle storage...

Richard Cocks
👍

Tue 25 Jul 2017, 09:53

In the doctors' car park there were two Tarmac lorries parked on the Sports Centre side with no drivers aboard and blocking in all patients' cars . Why did no-one think to phase the deliveries thus avoiding problems for patients and shoppers?

Alison Cherry
👍

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 18:18

The car parking was indeed diabolical this morning. I could not park at the Doctor's or indeed in the Spendlove car park or Enstone Road. Given that The Thomas Gifford Trust are overseeing the building of the sports hall, why have they not made provision for all these extra vehicles? There were at least 10 in the car park today. A sensible option in my opinion would be to let them park on The Playing Close.

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 18:10

Parking in Charlbury is now a nightmare. Last week went to the C0-op to get something insignificant. No spaces anywhere. Drove round and round like an idiot (no clever comments please!) for about 10 minutes, along with a few others. Decided to give up and go home. Reversed, and hit (at slow speed) a parked car. Found the owner in Lycetts, after spending 20 minutes wandering into various establishments. Confessed my sin. Cost - £140 to him, and £200 for me.
Really, does no planner think of these things when they grant permission for yet more houses?
Think I'll walk or take bike in future. Mind you walking has its dangers. Was nearly hit by a 4 x 4 crossing the road to the Co-op yesterday. Driver wound down the window and shouted "why don't you look where you're going?". Suspect he was going at least 30 mph, but hard to say. He wasn't there when I checked.
So now pedestrians in Charlbury are marginalised by machines.
Just very sad.

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:27

There was no space in the Spendlove Car Park,or the Doctors Surgery Car Park this morning, due to Commercial vehicles for the Community Centre. Where else can people park, but Enstone Road?

Susan Way
👍

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 15:57

Shouldn't that read "irresponsible driving"?

If the road is congested the driver should wait, not drive on the pavement to save a moment or two.

Susie Burnett
👍

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 15:19

The parking on the Enstone Road, beyond the Co Op but before the crossroads with Nine Acres Lane and the Slade, has become so bad it's almost single lane all the way down with nowhere to pull in other than a small free stretch just past the doctors and the entrance to Wychwood Paddocks. I've just watched the bus trying to squeeze past the parked cars while a 4x4 has continued towards it at speed and then mounted the pavement at the narrowest point by a good foot not far from a lady walking with a toddler and pram. Not great given the entrance to Nine Acres is just there too, with lots of kids using this footpath in the summer holidays.

graham W
👍

Sun 23 Jul 2017, 13:36

Think twice about parking!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.