Helicopters through the night!

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 24 Jun 2017, 07:23 (last edited on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 07:45)

I agree, I like to see them too. It was still light so I actually opened the window and watched it manoeuvre and dip down over Cornbury/river way, very exciting.

chris emsden
👍

Fri 23 Jun 2017, 22:40

There was 1 flew over my house very low late last night as I was going to bed. It's cool, they have got to practice, & they are there to protect us, our Armed Forces are the best in the world & I am thankful & proud to have them, practice all you like boys!

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 22 Jun 2017, 22:20 (last edited on Thu 22 Jun 2017, 22:46)

Wow, that was a very low Helicopter just now.

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 21 Jun 2017, 22:31

They are military helicopters practising night time running and because we don't have much ambient light (streetlights etc), they can practise with their night vision kit. They often fly along the valley too, which is terribly noisy. Fortunately though, it does seem to come in shorts fits and starts, as they increase the amount of training a unit does just before they get deployed somewhere.

Alice Brander
👍

Wed 21 Jun 2017, 19:39

Thank you all. I hadn't seen the earlier discussion. I was woken 3 times last night by a low flying helicopter which is what prompted my comment. This is because the windows are open with the heat - the sooner the heatwave is over the better! I'm still not quite clear why they have to fly low over towns and villages in the middle of the night.

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 21 Jun 2017, 12:02 (last edited on Wed 21 Jun 2017, 13:53)

I think you will find my post was not critical I was merely saying that I hear them most nights! I am already aware we have Forces based close by.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:16 (last edited on Wed 21 Jun 2017, 15:06)

Alice, Please refer to the previous entry from Helen. in this very uncertain world in which we live, we need all the security we can get. These boys would like to be in bed as well but are practising night flying.

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:10

I couldn't sleep so humid but I heard it in fact I hear them most nights usually around midnight. I believe there is a purpose for this it sounds too loud for 'toys'.

Helen Holwill
👍

Wed 21 Jun 2017, 10:14

I too was woken - it was pretty loud! However, there's a very good reason for this. You might find this older thread on the same theme sheds some light on it.
forum.charlbury.info/thread/2532#14811

Alice Brander
👍

Wed 21 Jun 2017, 09:53

Would the individual responsible for flying helicopters low over Charlbury through the night please stop. Take your noisy toys and direct them over fields if you must fly in the early hours of the morning.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.