Other villages - what do you think?

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 20 Jun 2007, 14:47

In promoting Street Fair, I have tried in the past to add it as an event to all local websites - Chipping Norton, Finstock, Enstone. However these sites are nowhere near as busy as this one - in fact on the Enstone one I dont think anyone had entered any events at all! So, because it is so busy and priority should be given to local events, I would agree with Meg and delete the one for Kingham.

Megan Bell
👍

Wed 20 Jun 2007, 12:57

Well I'm still a relative newcomer so should I comment?!
I think your approach sounds fine - nearish events to be included, businesses not.
It's a very useful reference point, by the way so thanks!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 20 Jun 2007, 12:30

Of late, there have been an increasing number of submissions to the site promoting events and businesses in local villages - Chipping Norton, Woodstock, Kingham, even Oxford on occasion.

Business listings I generally turn down. Most of these places have their own websites with their own directories, and if we were to start accepting all-comers then the Charlbury entries would be swamped - besides, the point is expressly to promote Charlbury businesses.

However, I'm unsure what to do about events. Those in nearby villages are clearly of interest to Charlbury people, so might be worth listing. But then, they should already be listed on their own villages' sites too; and it would be a sorry sight if the three 'upcoming' events on the homepage were all from out of Charlbury.

As it stands, I tend to make an exception for our immediate neighbours (Chadlington, Finstock, Spelsbury) but refuse anything further afield. I've just received one for Kingham and my mouse finger is hovering between the 'Approve' and 'Delete' buttons.

Any thoughts? (Maybe the Charlbury Website should hatch a West Oxfordshire spin-off?!)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.