Blandford flies about?

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 11:05

Skin so soft is very effective at preventing these bites. We live close to the river so we use it a lot.

Angus B
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 11:03

Yes, K Harper, I used to use toothpaste for mosquito bites when I was a child and it worked well. haven't 8sed it for many years now , though

mandy
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 10:31

if anyone does want to try avon skin so soft im a avon rep

Wendy Bailey
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 07:33

I also use Avon "Skin So Soft" spray as advised, have done since my first and hopefully last bite, on my collar bone which ended up like half a boiled egg! This was a couple of years ago, no bites since, it smells lovely and does your skin good too. And no I am not an Avon rep......... (I bought mine from Amazon)

K Harper
👍

Tue 25 Apr 2017, 21:40

I have had another spate of bites recently (probably not Blandford flies) and a friend suggested a smear of toothpaste! Whilst being very sceptical I have to admit it actually worked almost instantly in reducing the irritation and lessened the ongoing symptoms. I would be interested to know if it worked for anyone else!

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Tue 25 Apr 2017, 18:14

My husband got bitten at the weekend, up in town. Ouch.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Tue 25 Apr 2017, 17:50

I was bitten (years ago) in Blandford, believe it or not. The bites came up like halves of hard boiled eggs, dreadfully painful. I couldn't walk for a couple of days but seem to remember having just anti-histamine tablets. The young parents in Blandford knew to not take their small babies and kids out to the riverside during the 'biting' period. We'd never heard of them before but were told that they had come out of disturbed river banks being dug out on clearance programmes and had been causing havoc ever since! Were you victims down by the river when you were bitten?

Jenny Chambers
👍

Tue 25 Apr 2017, 17:27

For several years, I've used an oral bee pollen product which calms the allergic reaction to the bites. It has also stopped the hay fever I used to get from tree pollen. An added bonus is that it doesn't have the side-effects of the synthetic anti-histamines! Let me know if you'd like more info.

Kate Smith
👍

Tue 25 Apr 2017, 13:07

Did the chemist recommend either treatment or preventative?
Someone recommended the Avon Skin So Soft a year or so back and touch wood it seems to have been working - the bites are really horrible and can be quite dangerous if you get cellulitis. At least the flies will be gone by late June..

Jennie Grierson
👍

Mon 24 Apr 2017, 22:01 (last edited on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 22:07)

I was bitten at the weekend and the chemist said he had seen 6 people with this today.

Roger Venthen
👍

Mon 24 Apr 2017, 20:06

Yes - bitten a week ago! Itched like mad & painful - took several days to calm down.

Sue Normand
👍

Mon 24 Apr 2017, 18:46

Anyone been bitten by these pesky things this year? I think I might have.... large red mark on my leg.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.