The shop on Church Street

russell robson
👍

Tue 19 Jun 2007, 14:13

It is going to be a heating and stove shop, selling wood burners and associated equipment.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 19 Jun 2007, 12:25

The same goes for much of the rest of Britain, sadly. In Burton-on-Trent (where I work), the last town centre butchers has just closed. Greengrocers and fishmongers were long gone. For food shopping, the only options left are supermarkets and corner shops, all outside the centre. And Burton is many times the size of Charlbury.

Just as it's impossible to compete directly with Sainsbury's in Burton, it's looking like it's impossible to compete directly with the Co-op in Charlbury.

Does that mean we're doomed to a future of wedding dresses and Agas? Well, maybe not. Plenty of villages nearby support high-margin food shops. But I can't see shops selling low-margin items surviving on Charlbury footfall and Charlbury rents.

Megan Bell
👍

Tue 19 Jun 2007, 09:54

Well, it seems that Charlbury is no longer a place to buy your basics (except at the Co-op) so maybe the future, sadly, is niche-market shops such as the wedding dress shop, stoves etc.

Katie R
👍

Mon 18 Jun 2007, 09:35

not very useful then.

john h
👍

Sun 17 Jun 2007, 21:44

Aga Shop!! The mind boggles

Julie Negus
👍

Sat 16 Jun 2007, 08:51

Have also heard via an EX butcher of Charlbury... it' s gonna be an aga shop.

Vicky Buser
👍

Fri 15 Jun 2007, 14:35

I just heard today it's going to be a stove shop.

Don Kelly
👍

Mon 11 Jun 2007, 14:52

A buthcher's would be handy ;)

graham W
👍

Sat 9 Jun 2007, 11:06

Lets hope it does not become a GONE shop!

john h
👍

Fri 8 Jun 2007, 18:56

So it is not going to be a lap dancing establishment!! shame

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Fri 8 Jun 2007, 14:16

Does anyone know what it is going to be as they have been workin on it for ages and I feel rather curious about it? When I asked one of the builders they said an Anne Summers shop. I even heard it might be a gun shop which seems a little inappropriate next to a nursery...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.