Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Fri 31 Mar 2017, 10:40

A helpful website for ladybird identification:

www.harlequin-survey.org/recognition_and_distinction.htm

Susie Burnett
👍

Fri 31 Mar 2017, 08:19

Harlequins typically nest in their hundreds in houses, while native ladybirds are more likely to be found in the garden. www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/ladybirds-are-invading-our-houses-this-autumn-often-in-their-thousands-whats-going-on-397186.html

Claire Wilding
👍

Thu 30 Mar 2017, 21:46

We have this problem, mainly in windows that don't get opened very often. I have been operating a live-and-let-live policy, but now wondering if they are Harlequins and if so should I stop being such a pacifist and wipe them all out?

I have found that once they are all cleaned out of the window frames, so long as you open them every now and again and wipe round the ladybirds don't come back. Ladybirds are dormant for I think 3 months of the year, so I expect they found your downlighters a nice place to hide out over winter.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 29 Mar 2017, 19:15

I use insect / wasp killer spray. May need a few repeat treatments.

Susie Burnett
👍

Wed 29 Mar 2017, 18:30 (last edited on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 22:09)

We get hundreds of Harlequin ladybirds (the horrible invasive species that are responsible for the decline of our UK ladybird species) nesting overwinter in the crevices and frames of our south-facing windows. When the weather warms up they emerge and fly all over the house. I haven't yet found a deterrent, but if I brush them all out and then spray/wipe the areas they've been with a bleach solution, it seems to keep them from returning for a good few months. There are lots of websites on Harlequins, including the national Harlequin Ladybird Survey.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 29 Mar 2017, 12:56

We have been dealing with up to 40 a day in the house and just discovered many of the down lighters on the first floor are full. Can anyone please advise a deterrent or cure?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.