Potholes and Are We Living in a Third World Country?

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 29 Apr 2017, 08:36

Lol!
Well following my blowout (of the tyre that is) I submitted a claim to OCC. About 4 weeks later I got a letter saying that they having a rolling programme of fixing all potholes - survey and fixing every 3 months. Now, call me cynical if you like, but...
Anyway they said their records showed that the hole (which they did fix after my report to Fix My Street) had been filled in just a month previously. If that's true they should ask for their money back. It was a whopper - 2 feet long by 1 foot wide.
So they were sorry but they couldn't refund the cost of the replacement tyre.
Waste of time really.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 20:25

Great idea Russell. Let's apply for a heritage grant to put in cobbles. Speed calming and challenging stage of the race.

russell robson
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 18:59

Have you seen Paris- Roubaix?

Paul Taylor
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 18:07

They are certainly not repairing the roads all they are doing is putting of fixing the roads what they do ls fill the pot holes with a defurded set which is a tempory tarmac come the summer when it hot that will disappear vehicles going over it it will spread. The councils fine contractors for working later on roads also if sign have fallen over they fine contractors and if a signs been left out they fine the contractors. When this come out the councils employed more staff to go around checking contractors but do they follow suit no we have to be all barriered up they just puts a few cones around there work we get fined . My point is with all the fines plus over money the council get why are they allowed to let our roads get like it. Local councillors read this Oxfordshire road are possibly the worst road in the U.K. What's it going to cost to completely rebuild the roads if they continue to ignor proper repairs instead of patching.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 13:42

I helped with marshalling at the Tour de France in London in 2007 and the organisers were asked if it would mean roads being resurfaced. The answer was no, these riders are professional racers used to all sorts of rough surfaces and defects, and even though the roads seem unsuitable to us they're actually adequate for that purpose. Doesn't mean we shouldn't ask for better of course.

Matt Bullock
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 11:43

A crew were "fixing" potholes on Ditchley Road on Sunday. The truck carried County Limerick number plates from the ROI. Either OCC have just bought a truck or they've widened their net for subcontractors.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 11:18 (last edited on Wed 26 Apr 2017, 11:19)

Great news about the Tour of Britain passing through Charlbury on the 9th September. I assume someone will have an urgent word with OCC about the awful state of the roads that the route will follow through the Town. If not I suggest that the cyclists change to mountain bike tyres beforehand, or there will be a great pile-up outside the Rose and Crown.

Liz Reason
👍

Mon 20 Feb 2017, 16:32

I'm sorry that people responded to Rodney by finger-pointing based on largely unsubstantiated facts. What decisions would any of us make in committee faced with the budget cuts that government has imposed on local authorities? Our first past the post system means that, although only a minority voted for it, our election delivered a government that promised cuts all round. Much as I would like to see the roads better maintained, I am appalled at the closure of children's centres, and all the other cuts imposed on the vulnerable that Rodney lists.

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 20 Feb 2017, 09:23

www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/15103466.PICTURES__Bumpy_ride_on_county_roads__won_t_end_soon_/

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 18 Feb 2017, 16:23

Thank you K Harper.

K Harper
👍

Sat 18 Feb 2017, 11:12

fixmystreet.com is a good one, Hannen
They have always responded quickly to every report I have submitted.
You can track progress on their web site and see all other reports as well.
There are lots along Leafield Road that could potentially seriously injure or kill cyclists and motorcyclists.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 18 Feb 2017, 10:03

We were driving through Leafield last night at about 8 pm when we hit a very deep pothole which blew out the front n/s tyre. We manages to make it to The Pearl and called the RAC. I need to report this. Jim, or anyone, have you got the link please? This is an extremely dangerous one - I dread to think what would happen if a motorcyclist or cyclist went into it. Pretty well invisible with no street lighting and full of water.

Tony H Merry
👍

Sat 18 Feb 2017, 00:42 (last edited on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 00:52)

Ford developing pothole alert system www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39004805
Obviously with Charlbury in mind should sell well here

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2017, 18:29

The OCC website states that they will consider claims and there is information on how to claim and a standard form - however it also says that you might have to wait - due an unprecedented level of claims!..... Money would be better spent fixing the roads in the first place.
https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/compensation-claims-result-highway-defects

Paul Taylor
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2017, 18:00

They don't play out for damage now that's changed

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2017, 13:59

Maybe if OCC took its statutory obligations as regards road maintenance more seriously, it would have MORE money to spend as it wouldn't be paying compensation for damage caused by potholes?

russell robson
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2017, 12:47

Road Tax was abolished in 1937,so it's 80 years of neglect that can be laid at Churchill's door

Nick Johnson
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2017, 23:02

May I second Russell's point? I've recently come back from Zimbabwe which is experiencing its wettest summer for many years. The roads in Harare have largely collapsed but people get around - just - by driving carefully. I drove in Harare and I now drive around Charlbury. The worst Charlbury road is infinitely better than anything in Harare. Before people make comparisons with developing countries they should try experiencing the difficulties people suffer there.

chris emsden
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2017, 19:42

A report in one of the Road Transport magazines I read said that if the Councils started today repairing all of the pot-holes/re-surfacing etc that they are already aware need doing, & no more were added to the list, it would take them 16 years to complete them all, that is how far behind we are in this country!

Alistair Kerr
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2017, 18:08

Remind me why we pay road tax, because I thought that it was a tax to pay for roads, or am I being too simplistic?

Paul Taylor
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2017, 16:53

Thanks Richard the list of UK Spend aboard is now in the Grease pit under correct heading for all to read.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2017, 16:43

Sure, it's something you can have a view on, but in order to stop punch-ups developing and so that the moderators don't tear their hair out, we expressly do not have national political discussions on this board. There is the Grease Pit for that or a thousand other websites. Thank you.

Paul Taylor
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2017, 16:36

Richard it's a valid point we need to start spending on the roads before they get worse a few million here and there from the money we send abroad would sort all UK roads
And the roads in Charlbury

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2017, 16:22

(Posting making a national rather than a local political point moved to the Grease Pit --Richard)

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2017, 12:36

No, Rodney, we are not being self centred. Just pointing out the difficulties of getting round the country to do our jobs, so that we can earn the money to pay our taxes which go towards paying for Care Homes, etc. . Particulate Matter is one of the many causes of air pollution to which we are ALL vulnerable One of the many constituents of PM are, according to Pollution Watch, "friction from brakes and tyres". ......which happens when cars hit potholes.......

chris emsden
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2017, 08:58

Have to go with David & Tony here, it's not just the Councils but all over now, NHS etc, too many people in jobs nowadays that they are not qualified/experienced or knowledgeable enough to do, & being paid far more than they are worth for doing them, I think the closed shop "Old Boys" network still exists as strong as ever, & when we the Tax-payer are footing the bill.........! Anyway, back to topic, as a Lorry driver I can assure you the highways/byeways of this country are cracking up everywhere, main roads like the A34 etc, it's discusting! I did read somewhere a while ago that if I remember right only 16% of the money the Government takes for our road tax is actually spent on the roads, the rest goes on anything else they choose to spend/waste it on! And with so many cars now being Low/zero road tax, it means the Gov' are getting less off us, but no doubt they already have a plan on how 'we' are going to replace said funds!

David Thomas
👍

Sat 11 Feb 2017, 23:05

Rodney, a bit less waste by OCC would help. The duplication of the £100k consultancy spend on studying a combined Oxfordshire administration (with the district councils) is a good example of needless waste.

russell robson
👍

Sat 11 Feb 2017, 19:55

I've just had a friend come back from Kurdish Iraq, working for Save the Children, that's a war zone. Not a rather uneven, lightly trafficed side road in Charlbury!

Tony Morgan
👍

Sat 11 Feb 2017, 10:54 (last edited on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 13:56)

Maybe reduce some of the excessive public sector salaries for the top people & non essential top management jobs & invest in basic infrastructure

Rodney S Rose
👍

Sat 11 Feb 2017, 09:58 (last edited on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 09:59)

Sorry folks, but are we being a bit self-centre and just considering which bits of OCC spend affects us, and ignoring the needs of our more vulnerable? Following a central government manifesto, the annual revenue budget of the County Council has dropped from circa £750 Million to £500 Million PER ANNUM on 6 years ago - and that is every year. This is money being stopped by Westminster, Council tax capped, and no borrowing allowed. my question back would be: do we stop Care Home provision; Care in the home provision; Children's welfare; Children's Sexual Exploitation; and all other help to the vulnerable. Or do we trim all costs where possible, which will always include Highway maintenance being reduced.

NADINE MILLS
👍

Fri 10 Feb 2017, 21:04

I couldn't agree more - the roads in and around Charlbury are in the most terrible state. Even worse is the run up to the Peartree roundabout from the A44 - this being a major commuter trunk. I have come to the conclusion that government and local and city councils do not give a fig anymore. All sauce and no trouser!! It's not just cuts, its a distinct lack of balls, key decision making and a sense of any responsibility or liability. My self made, successful, motivated and responsible small biz grandfather would have thrown his pipe at the wall!

Chris Tatton
👍

Fri 10 Feb 2017, 19:12 (last edited on Fri 10 Feb 2017, 19:15)

The road surfaces across the whole of Oxfordshire are in a terrible state. Our council tax seems to go up year by year, yet the services provided by the County Council just get worse....cuts to elderly care, libraries, bus services, recycling facilities.

Jim Holah
👍

Fri 10 Feb 2017, 18:01

Yes agreed, I've reported a few & they do get fixed.....isn't what we pay our council tax for after all

Natasha Ely
👍

Fri 10 Feb 2017, 17:42

Nancy,
I have to agree that the potholes on Charlbury roads are progressively worsening and are a danger to all users. Do try and report problems on https://www.fixmystreet.com/around?pc=charlbury and maybe we might see some improvement.

Nancy Whitfield
👍

Fri 10 Feb 2017, 13:00

You might think that you were in a war zone if you see the dreadful state of Church Lane. I might remind people of the great importance, through many centuries, people have trodden this idyllic country lane to St Mary's, our parish church since the 12th century. You only have to look at Google Maps' photos for this area to know how important this historic town is.
So let's form a team and get our shovels and fill all these holes, and make Charlbury a safer place, for young and old alike.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.