Stolen Number Plates

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2017, 19:55

Incidentally, if you are selling a car online e.g. Autotrader, do not show the whole reg.no. plate. Cover the last three letters,e.g. OU09*** that way your car is less easily cloned.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2017, 13:20

It's unlikely that those with stolen number plates will get a parking fine at Charlbury Station -- at least if the theft has been reported to the police & a Crime Reference no issued. Apcoa has to apply to DVLA for details of the keeper, but it's only the driver who gets the fine & the parking notice is sent to the keeper.

DVLA knows that the keeper and the driver can't be identified in the case of stolen plates, so should not pass this information to Apcoa. So far, so good as far as I am concerned (since June). But I will hang on to my Crime Reference No in order to appeal for so long as I own my current car!

Incidentally, the keeper/driver rule is the reason why all the websites about parking fines on private land say that the keeper who receives the notice should not admit to being the driver when she or he puts in an appeal.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:06

Thank you Philip!

Philip Ambrose
👍

Fri 20 Jan 2017, 22:25

Stand by for a penalty charge from ANPR cameras somewhere e.g. Charlbury Station, London Congestion Charge or Dartford Crossing!

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 14 Jan 2017, 17:34

A big "thank you" to our local Police for sending me, unexpectedly, two sets of anti-theft screws for my four number plates. A small but very significant gesture.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 5 Jan 2017, 18:16 (last edited on Fri 6 Jan 2017, 18:00)

Thank you Mark and Christine. Yes, I notified the Police immediately and then made a call to Charlbury Garage. Hope to have replacement plates tomorrow.
I've been putting it off but think I may now put up CCTV.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 5 Jan 2017, 13:37 (last edited on Thu 5 Jan 2017, 13:38)

Hannen,
This happened to me, also in Charlbury, back in June. You need to report it straight away and get a crime reference number. Your cars will then be tracked via ANPR so that they can't be used for illegal activities -- apparently most frequently the stealing of fuel from garages. They also had a go at a neighbour's car, but failed to get the plates off cleanly.

Charlbury Garage did an excellent job of replacing the number plates. You need to get this done immediately as it is an offence to drive a car without number plates on the public highway. You can get more secure fixings for plates at Halfords in Banbury, but technically you would be liable for a fine if you drove it there.

Mark Sulik
👍

Thu 5 Jan 2017, 13:16

Hannen
I would report this to the police instantly as this is often the reason for some illegal and criminal activities

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 5 Jan 2017, 12:54

Just popped out to our cars parked on Hixet Wood to find that both have had all their number plates removed.
Last month it was a wing mirror. This is getting silly, and expensive.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.