Are you a coffee sophisticate?

Miles Walkden
👍

Sun 20 Nov 2016, 12:11

For me, a good espresso machine, with good coffee, used correctly, is going to make the best coffee hands down. No need to bother with other methods unless there is a good reason (like better coffee or better profits). UE Coffee Roasters are good and local. Personally i really like www.footprintcoffee.co.uk.

If there is profit in offering instant for those who like it why wouldn't you? Cafedirect Macchu Picchu sounds good to me.

My favorite places are ones that offer free, or 25p, Babychinoes (basically frothy milk for kids with choc sprinkled on top). I always spend much more on my coffee if the kids are getting one of these foc or for pennies. Kids love them and they cost nothing to make.

Liz Reason
👍

Sat 19 Nov 2016, 18:05

I simply hadn't realised how much interest this thread would generate! The Deli already has an espresso machine, never fear. We were just working our way through different ideas - nothing agreed yet. Personally, having now been lent an aeropress, I think it too unstable for use in a cafe and there would probably be accidents.

vicky burton
👍

Fri 18 Nov 2016, 19:53

May I recommend UE Coffee Roasters as they are a friendly local company in Witney that roast beans on the Windrush Industrial Park: www.uecoffeeroasters.com They certainly know a lot about coffee and I'm sure would be pleased to offer guidance.

Phil Morgan
👍

Fri 18 Nov 2016, 17:26

For most visitors a 2 cup cafetiere @ £2.50 will be fine. There should also be an instant option @ £1.20 - just a kettle needed!
For those who want aficionado options - £3.50 or more... There does need to be some democracy in the Republic of Charlbury.

James Styring
👍

Fri 18 Nov 2016, 13:43

Whether it's made with a mechanised coffee machine or with aeropresses, please can the deli organise a coffee tasting so customers can try out local roasters' coffees? The winning roasts to go on sale in the new deli.
(Don't tell Richard Fairhurst.)

Grahame Ockleston
👍

Fri 18 Nov 2016, 09:32

Real Expresso
Whats wrong with a stove top pot, I see that a ''well known store'' has them @ £15 for a 6 cup version.

Mark Benians
👍

Fri 18 Nov 2016, 08:02

A decent espresso machine plus the necessary coffee grinder is going to cost in the order of at least £2000 unless a second hand one is found. If that were possible it would be great but the Aeropress is like a big syringe which allows the coffee brew to be given some hand pressure as it is dispensed into a cup and so moving a small way towards espresso which is a pressurised process.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 18 Nov 2016, 00:40

For those who (like me) are decidedly unsophisticated, the Deli also has Cafedirect Macchu Picchu instant coffee, which is quite the best instant I have ever had and gets five-star reviews everywhere. And I promise not to tell anyone about your coffee dilettantism if you promise not to sneak on me. Oh, wait.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Thu 17 Nov 2016, 23:25

I wonder how many others have read this thread and thought to themselves, "What the heck is an aeropress?"
I know and use a cafetiere, and agree that they are simple and easy to use, but an aeropress; not a clue!

Helen Chapman
👍

Thu 17 Nov 2016, 19:44 (last edited on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 19:45)

I have see an aeropress misused and pressurised hot coffee go all over the kitchen... Why not get a decent espresso machine?

Mark Benians
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 10:45

IMHO they are both good and it would be great to have the choice. Aeropress only makes one drink at a time whereas cafetieres come in different sizes. As important as the brewing method is fresh grinding of recently roasted coffee beans to the appropriate consistency which is different for these two methods, much finer for aeropress.

Leah Fowler
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 08:23

Aero press best coffee ever!!

Miles Walkden
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 22:17

I agree it is slightly easier to make with a cafetiere, but disagree with the cleaning - Areopress is much easier and quicker to clean. The coffee is so much better i would definitely consider it. Happy to lend mine for a test run also.

russell robson
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 21:57

I agree with John, a French Press is easier, cheaper and comes in various sizes. Cheaper ones however let the coffee grounds escape into the liquid. Aeropress need more patience. However, it would be best source a good range of coffees and then having a simple pressurized system and French Presses for the different estates, roasts and flavours

Miles Walkden
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 20:50

Aeropress is a great idea. Great coffee and easy to use. Jon is right, it takes a little more effort but well worth it i think. Much better coffee.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 19:56

I can lend you one (not give!!). Cafetières are cheaper and serve more, and are easier to operate and clean. People are used to using them themselves, so there is the advantage that you can fill it, put it on the table, and leave the customer to pour. You have to be used to an Aeropress.

Liz Reason
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 18:12

The Chalbury Deli team is exploring coffee options for the expanded shop, when it happens. We're wondering whether anyone could give an an Aeropress to test.....

Liz

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.