Dangerous Charlbury - Enstone Road right turning.

sharon
👍

Wed 19 Dec 2018, 18:01

It also doesn't help with people parking on the hill and also on the ticknell piece road dropping there children off to the school making it very dangerous

Peter Bridgman
👍

Wed 19 Dec 2018, 15:27

Coming back to the question of vehicles speeding on The Slade and Sturt Road, as I see it there is only one answer-- we need a proper speed camera. This morning I was driving down the hill when a van coming in the opposite direction forced me to stop as he passed a parked car at a speed that must have been 40+ mph. I angrily indicated for him to slow down but what's the use? No chance of getting his number.

Jim Holah
👍

Thu 6 Dec 2018, 15:15

Those of you who are regular readers of this site will know about the joint work going on with the Town Council, Thames Valley Police and a group of local volunteers through Charlbury Community Speedwatch. Regular reports are posted on the activities of the group and we recently made a presentation to the TC as a review of the last years work on the project. If you're interested in combatting speeding in the town, please let me know & you can join in is monitoring traffic speeds and reporting speeding drivers to TVP for follow up action. We are also working on proposals for traffic management (as suggested by Liz & Alice) that will create an environment that reduces speed, as well as improving the environment in general for all road users, especially pedestrians and cyclists. Contact me through this site if you want to volunteer.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 6 Dec 2018, 14:50

I agree Geoff. Ultimately the responsibility is with the driver. We've managed to change social mores around drink driving - remember "one for the road?". We now have to do the same with speeding.
Thank you Richard. Agree with all you say.
Liz, a great idea. (Trees). I've driven through many French villages and towns where they have done exactly that.

Alice Brander
👍

Thu 6 Dec 2018, 14:49 (last edited on Thu 6 Dec 2018, 14:50)

There is a lovely picture of the Slade on this website with just the house Sandford Mount amongst fields and a small track winding down the hill. "Designed for motorised transport". I'm not sure about that, I think it might have been a few years before.
All I'm asking is that drivers of cars, vans, trucks, buses, etc. obey the rules. If they did, there wouldn't be a problem. Walking down the Slade might almost be a pleasant experience if drivers stuck to below 30 mph. At the moment it's terrifying on those narrow pavements so close to speeding vehicles. Since there is nobody to enforce the rules and only two thirds of drivers obey them what these roads need is a road restriction to slow the traffic - like many other villages and towns in West Oxfordshire - all paid for by the County Council.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 18:34

Just wondering who is going to enforce this 20mph as 30 mph cant be enforced now, perhaps a resident police officer should be obtained.
the roads not dangerous its the drivers who need educating!

Chris Tatton
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 16:51

Richard thanks for confirming that the Town Council is still pursing the long promised community wide scheme for a 20mph speed limit across town and for enhancing the traffic calming signs on the approaches to Charlbury like many other towns and villages have already achieved locally, much appreciated.

Such schemes benefit the whole community and do not push one streets problems onto another part of town. Thank you.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 15:12

Chris -

With my town councillor hat on: unfortunately the Town Council is not the highway authority for Charlbury and cannot "actually implement" the 20mph limit off its own bat. It's illegal, real genuine hauled-up-against-the-courts illegal, for a town council to do stuff outside its statutory powers, which includes "actually implementing" highway schemes. It's also hauled-up-against-the-courts illegal for anyone who isn't a highway authority to erect highway signs on highway land.

The highway authority for Charlbury is Oxfordshire County Council and the ball is in their officers' court. Charlbury Town Council has drawn up the scheme, earmarked funding for it from the precept, paid for speed surveys requested by OCC, and had several meetings with OCC staff. We are ready to go. But the actual consultation on the traffic order, the issuing of the order, and the installation of the signs can only legally be done by OCC. We (town clerk Roger Clarke and I) have been chasing OCC repeatedly since September on this. Finally I received a promise last week from OCC officers to "sit down over the next few days and get back to you next week". If there's been no response by Friday I will chase again.

With my site admin hat on: please do not assume that someone is speaking from some official position or other unless they expressly say so. I don't see any more evidence that Liz was speaking as a town councillor than that she was speaking as national chair of the Green Party or as a trustee of Southill Solar or indeed many of the other good things she does. It would be a real shame if people felt inhibited from posting because of a fear that others might ascribe their views to organisations with which they're connected.

And with my personal hat on (black fleece-lined - it's beastly out there today on a bike): to be honest I can see why more people don't stand for election, can't you? Would that everyone was as polite as Brian!

Alan Wilson
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 15:04 (last edited on Wed 5 Dec 2018, 15:26)

Comment deleted on reflection.

Brian Murray
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 14:45

It was a wish to be polite that caused me to refer to Liz's proposal as 'interesting' in my posting last night. What I was wanting to do was raise the question of the likely ridiculously high cost of her suggestion and I certainly did not - and do not - endorse her views.

Chris Tatton
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 13:22

Why is Liz Reason as a town councillor suggesting crazy ideas for the Slade which was a road designed for motorised transport and would result in pushing traffic onto roads in the centre of Charlbury, which were not designed for modern transport? One should expect our town councillors to introduce schemes that will improve the quality of life for all residents and not at the expense of others. What about the Town Council actually implementing the long promised 20 mph speed zone throughout Charlbury and traffic calming signage on all approaches outside town, so visitors are aware that this town does not welcome drivers who speed anywhere through our community.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 13:15

I have just driven up The Slade to the crossroads and can see only 1 immediate improvement. From that direction the GIVE WAY sign, if you are concentrating on the road ahead, is slightly high. A CROSSROADS sign before that and in addition would be more noticeable.
Other than that just keep to the speed limit and stop at the junction. Others have already suggested signs from Enstone.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 11:26

Peter, Charlbury is very ableist. Because the majority of the council are able they don't consider those who aren't for whatever reason (age, disability)

Peter Bridgman
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 10:50

All these recent ideas for making it more difficult to use The Slade and Sturt Road are all very well, but I live on Lee's Heights and am 85. Much as I would like to, I can no longer walk up or down Dancer's Hill. Without using my car the centre of town might as well be in Chipping Norton. I am sure I am not the only one in that situation. Please think of us before you pedestrianise all the roads!

Alan Wilson
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 08:50

I'm all in favour of thinking people. And one thought that crosses my mind is that every car on The Slade is being made use of by at least one person. So getting rid of the cars would hardly be costless for people.

Matt Bullock
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2018, 08:45

But the Slade is a road meant for cars and buses. It's the only main route through the town. By all means introduce measures to keep people to the 30 limit but do we really want to try to reclaim it for "people"? Make it too slow or put too many obstacles in drivers' way and the obvious alternative for the motorist is just drive down Park Street, Church Street and Market Street instead.

Brian Murray
👍

Tue 4 Dec 2018, 22:51 (last edited on Tue 4 Dec 2018, 23:27)

An interesting proposal Liz but I suspect that such a project would be far more costly than you seem to suggest. Can you give us an idea of the number of trees you envisage and the costs involved, not just for planting but all other necessary works?

Liz Reason
👍

Tue 4 Dec 2018, 17:19 (last edited on Tue 4 Dec 2018, 17:20)

Plant trees along The Slade to narrow it so it ceases to be a road for cars and it becomes a street for people. Think people, think low-tech, think cheap.

Simon Hogg
👍

Sun 2 Dec 2018, 17:41

As for speeding examples, I followed, not closely, a police car down the hill towards Fiveways over a week ago at around 06:30, the driver very easily activated the SID on The Slade and didn't slow down or brake and continued to accelerate away from me. This, along with referring to the road as a "ring road" (previous comments noted about this not being a good thing to do), does not help reduce speeding. I'm thinking of building speed humps at 3am, with quick drying concrete and railway sleepers. Seriously, it cannot be expensive to install the one way types of traffic slowing barriers+signage at the 50mph to 30mph boundaries on each road into the town, that would be a good start, but it's back to cost vs effectiveness yet again, which is not right.

David Thomas
👍

Fri 30 Nov 2018, 18:14

The crossroads will get even busier when the HGVs, that are unable to use Burford high street, start 'short-cutting' through Charlbury (instead of staying on the A4260 & A44).

Duncan Forbes
👍

Thu 29 Nov 2018, 16:01

Two years ago there was a lot of Forum debate about trying to improve the safety of the Enstone Road crossroads. With the junction seeming to become ever busier the hazards for pedestrians are also increasing. Is there any chance of anything being done before someone is seriously injured - or worse - when crossing the road?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 15 Dec 2016, 08:24

Cost!

Charles Sinton
👍

Mon 12 Dec 2016, 21:29

Why aren't traffic lights considered?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Mon 12 Dec 2016, 16:01

Hi Tony,
No need to differ as I was not doubting the effectiveness of such items, merely pointing out that in my experience of driving a low slung vehicle in Charlbury e.g. Dyers Hill where there is traffic calming, some drivers of larger vehicles with more ground clearance pay less heed to such devices than I am obliged to do.

In these financially straitened times, a 3-way Give Way would only require one extra sign and a pot of paint, so it would be worth a try before spending £30k wouldn't it?

Amanda Epps
👍

Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:34

John was that the plan to build a slip road from the Enstone Road to the Slade? This was mentioned when I first moved here in 1970. Some of the houses in the Green have their front doors at the back so that they would face onto this road that never happened!

john h
👍

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 16:23

Many years ago when Sturt Rd and the Slade were widened
,it was seen then that the cross roads were unsafe. The thinking then was to demolish the toll house(as they did on 5 ways) and house by the old YHA to make it safe, there must be 20 times the traffic using it now. but new houses were built(op; Hazeldene) and that scuppered the whole scheme.so nothing is new in this dear old Town.

John Kearsey
👍

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 16:17

BT will be claiming off the insurers of the car that smashed the cabinet. Therefore there is no incentive for them to pay for road improvements as they will clearly do the same should it happen again.

Tony H Merry
👍

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 13:03

Hi Philip
I beg to differ. A study in Bristol showed Effectiveness
Generally, vertical treatments - such as speed tables - are expected to reduce accidents by around 44%.

Motor vehicles are likely to travel at around 13 mph over a speed table. If there's more than one speed table, motor vehicles are likely to travel at 20 mph between them. These are the lowest speeds of all traffic calming treatments compared on Traffic Choices, which means the greatest safety benefit can be expected.

That is indeed my experience from almost daily visits to Madley Park estate where my daughter lives and I have never seen anyone try to take these raised sections fast

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 12:13

I would like to second Helen's remark about Sturt Road/The Slade/Nine Acres not being described as a ring road. This is not the first time that I have seen this phrase on the forum, & putting the words in quotation marks doesn't solve the problem of people who don't live along this route using this as a kind of shorthand in their thinking about the town.

The 30 mph speed limit is broken with great frequency, often by massive amounts & even by HGVs. But this is where (a lot of) people live, where much social housing is situated & where young children walk & go to school.

Yvonne Beaumont
👍

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 11:46

Having witnessed the bad accident in November, I was the Taston resident who started this subject off via our pc councillor. I have two problems, regularly having to turn right from The Slade: (1) not being able at all to see traffic coming from the Enstone direction (2) there being no priority re cars waiting to cross at the Nine Acres junction - we tend to gaze at each other, wave arms, flash lights (means go or stop??). A mirror reflecting oncoming Enstone traffic would help a lot! Pedestrians should get drop-down kerbs as a priority. It's disgusting that we have to wait for a sacrificial lamb - maybe me - to be killed before we via the OCC pay to solve this problem. Prevention is ALWAYS cheaper than cure and I personally would be prepared to put my hand in my own pocket to contribute for important things like this.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 11:41

Hi Tony,
My point against raised tables(apart from expense)is that they are studiously heeded by some types of vehicle / driver, but not others.

A pot of paint for some markings and a Give Way sign (approaching from Enstone) wouldn't cost much.

Helen,
I wrote "ring road" not Ring Road. Of course Charlbury doesn't have one, but the phrase was used to accurately describe the main through traffic flows. All the roads are subject to speed limits of 30mph or less anyway.

Tony H Merry
👍

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 10:37

As I think Richard has previously proposed the best solution may be this
Raised table junctions
Raised table junctions typically operate as a priority junction and create
safer environments for all users by reducing the speed of vehicles
negotiating the junction. Implementation of raised table junctions falls
within the Highways Act, Section 90, which incorporated the Road
Humps Regulations 1996.
They are used in Madley Park in Witney and seem to be quite effective there

They are quite expensive to install at £30,000 + though
I do wonder how much it cost BT to repair the cabinet that was recently destroyed in the accident and could be again
Perhaps we should suggest that they funded this improvement to reduce that risk - also a good PR gesture for them

Rich F
👍

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 09:31

(not Fairhurst)

Well said, Helen!

David Thomas
👍

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 00:12

The response to Q76 of the neighbourhood survey show that (by far) the highest priority action needing to be sorted is traffic speed & parking.

Helen Chapman
👍

Sat 10 Dec 2016, 14:26

Sturt Road, Nine Acres etc aren't a ring road. They are residential streets with a school. Thinking of them in that way, even if tongue in cheek, just reinforces the mentality that it's ok to drive fast along them.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 10 Dec 2016, 13:47

Vicky, so ... . ".... and with the level of concern the area will be closely monitored for further incidents" ... we can all wait until something really disastrous happens before any response? This is so typical. It's the failure to listen to people's genuine concerns that bothers me.

Hamish Nichol
👍

Fri 9 Dec 2016, 12:18

Time to get out the tin of white paint one night?

Maybe not such a good idea as I then remember the Seinfeld episode ("The Pothole") where a four lane highway is changed to a two lane highway, and the attempts to change it back don't go to plan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMq3w7RVnvc

vicky burton
👍

Fri 9 Dec 2016, 10:58

Below is the response I got from Rodney Rose when I asked for the priorities to be changed at the crossroads:
As I am sure you will be aware the County Council has very limited budgets for new schemes such as traffic signals, therefore what funding we have has to be directed to those sites that have an identified personal injury accident problem. Fortunately, despite perceptions, there has only be one further injury accident in this location in the previous five years, so it is unlikely that any proposals as requested would receive a high enough priority when compared to other similar schemes.
I have asked officers to ensure that the road signs and road markings are all clearly visible to assist with the definition of the junction and with the level of concern the area will be closely monitored for further incidents
Rodney

Cllr Rodney Rose
Deputy Leader of the County Council
Oxfordshire County Council
Chairman of East West Rail Joint Delivery Board

01865 810419

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 9 Dec 2016, 09:50

I don't think that anything will stop drivers from speeding in to and out of Charlbury on the Enstone Road. I have walked down there often and it is terrifying, in either direction.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 8 Dec 2016, 23:18

Personally. I would favour a switch in priorities so that the Enstone Road traffic has to give way. Failing that, a three way Give Way giving priority to traffic LEAVING Charlbury on the Enstone Road might be worthy of consideration.

The proposed 20mph limit area within the "Ring Road" will be largely self enforcing, but do not expect any great police presence - they have much bigger fish to fry elsewhere with very limited resources.

As for speed humps and tables, please God NO! they get totally ignored by drivers of Chelsea Tractors who almost rear end smaller lower-slung cars that have to take much more heed of such obstructions.

By the way, why do pedestrian crossings have to be so elaborate and expensive in the UK? In many other European countries, all that is needed inside 30 Kph zones is a pot of white paint.

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 4 Dec 2016, 18:43

If a bit of paint does the trick, I think this should be explored.

Duncan Forbes
👍

Sun 4 Dec 2016, 17:03

Glena-I saw exactly the same thing a couple of days ago - that time it was a BMW estate.

glena chadwick
👍

Sun 4 Dec 2016, 15:12

Oh help ! Worst piece of driving I've seen for ages. About 2.50 p.m. today a small grey car (driven by a young man) came fast to the crossroads from the Enstone direction. Still fast, he swung round to the right (towards Nine Acres) on COMPLETELY the wrong side of the road---in fact just in front of the gate of Hazeldene. It was a few moments and several yards before he was over on his correct side. He would have had a headlong collision with any car
coming up to the crosssroads from that direction and if I had been two minutes earlier he would have run me over.
Quite agree we do need to do something there but the best thing would be for everyone to drive safely.

David Thomas
👍

Thu 24 Nov 2016, 20:39

Richard, unfortunately speed humps create plenty of noise which isn't welcome by nearby residents on an already noisy road. How expensive would chicanes really be - if the work was combined with additional tree planting etc. along The Slade & Sturt Road couldn't the Town Council help fund it?

Claire Wilding
👍

Wed 23 Nov 2016, 12:39

There is already a 20 mph limit around the school at opening and closing times (the flashing lights) - not always respected, but I find the piles of double and even triple parked cars on the hill at 3pm act as a form of traffic calming, albeit not a very safe one.

On Harriet's point about pedestrians crossing the junction, those of us with buggies need to cross the Slade because there is no dropped kerb if you cross other ways.

James Styring
👍

Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:37

Just thought I'd post this here as an innovative (and affordable-looking?) idea to slow cars, from Cambridge.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/38076201
The BBC's caption says, "A road traffic calming design likened to a "ghost roundabout" has been mocked on social media" but I can't see why, it looks attractive and seems to slow cars as well. The circle arcs could act as pedestrian crossings?

vicky burton
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 19:12

So do we need a zebra crossing on The Slade? It would serve to encourage vehicles to keep their speed down too. A give- way priory to Hundley Way sounds sensible too no?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 16:06

On the 20mph limit - we will have to see what OCC propose for the traffic order (it's their decision as highway authority) but I think it is likely that the Slade, Nine Acres Lane and Fiveways will remain at 30mph, I'm afraid. The amount of traffic on these roads is greater than the Government guidance for 20mph limits, unless speed humps and chicanes were installed. It could be a good medium-term aim but, again, I doubt OCC has the money for that at present.

Vicky - sorry, I should have been clearer: I mean that changing the priorities without a zebra crossing would be (in my view) worse than the current situation.

sarah routley
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 15:41

i think there would be alot of support for a 20mpr limit from the enstone road cross roads down the slade to the school, making it safer for children to cross to school.

Lucy Robertson
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 14:08

That's good news, thank you Richard. It would be great if the 20mph limit could start before the Hundley Way turning.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 13:34

Controversial I know as it involves common sense, but how about instead of crossing at the Slade where there's a restricted view, you instead cross twice, once across the Enstone road, and once across nine acres? It may take longer, but if it's safer why not do it. In 40 years I've never understood people who cross that junction on the road with least visibility.

vicky burton
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 13:33

If the roads are already going to be reduced to 20mph we'll have already got the general speed down. Not sure how you mean a zebra crossing makes it worse Richard. My rationale is that there is usually a constant day-time flow of traffic along The Slade, irrespective of the speed of traffic; it may be difficult for less able people to get across. Are you proposing directional traffic lights at the crossroads with a pelican crossing?

Jackie Hague
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 13:26

I hope that OCC and the Town Council are going to include the Fiveways junction? A 20mph limit would be very welcome here too.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 13:04

Pleased to say that it will be - all the roads inside the Slade/Nine Acres Lane will get a 20mph limit. Oxfordshire County Council has agreed in principle to the traffic order (subject to consultation etc.) and the Town Council's outline budget for next year includes the cost of the signs.

Lucy Robertson
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:59 (last edited on Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:21)

I agree that something needs to be done about the crossroads. I would like to emphasize the point that traffic comes into Charlbury from the Banbury Hill Road far too fast! This can make it very dangerous turning onto the road from Hundley Way particularly in the winter with poor visibility. There needs to be better signage on the road coming into Charlbury asking vehicles to slow down. Hundley Way is a blind turning as well. Maybe the speed limit throughout Charlbury needs to be reduced to 20mph?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:50

If you have a zebra crossing on the Slade, a give way line on Banbury Hill, and a give way line on Enstone Road, that's pretty much a three-way stop! But without the zebra crossing the situation would be worse, I think, not better.

vicky burton
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:37

Richard, with respect; crossing the road safely on The Slade is indeed an issue but one that would surely be best remedied with a zebra crossing. (A bit more paint ;-))

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:56

As someone who used to live beside the Nine Acres Lane corner, I don't believe that simply switching the priorities would work. People would (and still do) hare round that 90-degree bend at infeasible speeds. At present they have to stop for the crossroads. Changing the priorities would remove that, and you would get cars going at 30mph or more onto the Slade - making it harder, not easier, to cross from the toll house pavement to the Wychwood House pavement.

Those with long memories might remember the car from Stonesfield that went straight across the Enstone Road crossroads - it shot across our driveway and went through next door's hedge. More recently we had the cement mixer that took the corner too fast and demolished the wall. People do and will continue to drive fast near the crossroads unless there is something to slow them down.

A raised table would be excellent but I fear outside OCC's constrained budget at present. A three-way stop seems to me to be the most affordable and effective solution available.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 11 Nov 2016, 10:46

Thanks Tony. I've written.

Tony H Merry
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 23:57

Matters like this are for the County Council so the person to contact is Rodney Rose go to mycouncil.oxfordshire.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=205 to comment

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 20:06

I live near the junction and walk and drive it regularly from all directions. G Clarke's suggestion is probably the only sensible one here, as others have agreed. The cost is minimal too, which makes it even more sensible. Don't we have a councillor who will take this up and see it through?

vicky burton
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 19:52

David, with respect; the problem isn't one of cars whizzing at the junction in any direction other than vehicles that are just entering Charlbury from Enstone Rd. Quite often I see cars doing more than 30 as they come in to Charlbury. Even if you put a speed camera just before the junction or raised tables, speed bumps or any other means to encourage a lower speed; you would not being directly addressing the root cause which is that drivers/cyclists from The Slade direction, cannot see traffic coming from Banbury Hill and you are therefore somewhat reliant on the other driver's perception of the hazard. To be fair, unless you are a local; you'd have no idea cars or bikes are likely to pull out in front of you (albeit slowly) changing the priorities (with plenty of signage and perhaps even a solar-charged give way sign from Banbury Hill approach is not just the cheapest solution. Four way/three way stops aren't justified or even that great as who has the right of way is often a point of contention and itself leads to collisions and arguments.

David Thomas
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 17:45

Simon, simply changing the junction's priorities with nothing else would just lead to vehicles on 9 Acres whizzing straight through to The Slade, arriving at a point where it narrows considerably on a bend. This is not a sensible approach to the solution in my books.
I used to live in Minchinhampton close to the 3-way stop arrangement mentioned earlier in this thread. It did work (mainly) although quite a few vehicles approaching on the leg without the Give Way didn't slow down to an appropriate degree. A raised table surface would have helped here.

Amanda Epps
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 14:40

Following my posting, I emailed Rodney Rose and the Town Clerk. Roger Clarke has emailed Rodney and the OCC officer responsible. I shall draw the attention of the latter to this site but won't hold my breath.

Simon Fenn
👍

Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:21

On the face of it G Clarke's changed-priorities suggestion looks very sensible. Making Nine Acres Lane/The Slade into the major road would:

a) give priority to "ring road" traffic circling the town centre
b) slow traffic coming into the town
c) make safer the turn for cars from the Slade into Enstone Road
d) make safer the crossing for pedestrians from The Slade to the playing fields

Clearly it wouldn't solve all problems but it would surely be much cheaper (and therefore more likely to happen) than the other interesting suggestions put forward here?

Kathy Broughton
👍

Wed 9 Nov 2016, 20:45

Anything that slows cars down while going through this intersection--or turning--would be most welcome. I like the raised table with four-way stop idea.

vicky burton
👍

Wed 9 Nov 2016, 19:21

Surely G Clarke's suggestion would be sufficient? The issue is one of not being able to see round the blind bend; when turning right on to Enstone Rd from The Slade.

James Styring
👍

Wed 9 Nov 2016, 16:53

The ideas are not mutually exclusive:
The raised table suggestion is something that would start 20+ metres from the junction in every direction, the intention being to slow vehicles and provide safe crossing zones (I guess zebra crossings) for pedestrians.
The method whereby cars stop and give way would be right on the junction, obviously. It could be any number of the options people have suggested.
Presumably we can describe the problem to County engineers and suggest both a raised table or similar to slow cars plus ask for options for giving way that will reduce the chances of crashes … and taking out the northern quarter's broadband for 4 days!

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Wed 9 Nov 2016, 15:19

The raised table "square-about" junction in Great Bookham, Surrey cited by Chris, also appears to be a four-way stop.

Helen Chapman
👍

Wed 9 Nov 2016, 14:04

I don't think a four way stop is a good idea in a country where cars are not familiar with them. James' raised table idea sounds more feasible.

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Wed 9 Nov 2016, 10:47

It can work like a mini-roundabout: you give way to traffic on your right.

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 9 Nov 2016, 09:01

I like the proposal for a four-way stop. We need to re-establish road priorities here - pedestrians and cyclists first, then cars.

Mark Sulik
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2016, 19:20

To prevent confusion that often exists at this junction , the provision of a traffic management chicanes would resolve the issues of speed and prioritise the flow of traffic. With the introduction of a rais d section , this can incorporate a crossing location for pedestrians

James Styring
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2016, 14:53

Chris, yes that's the same concept but much smaller than I think we'd need here. Better colour though for the conservationists, often these raised tables are built in red brick colour rather than blacks and greys.

Chris Sharpe
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2016, 14:49 (last edited on Tue 8 Nov 2016, 14:50)

This is an interesting approach for a junction in Great Bookham in Surrey:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_%22Square-about%22,_Great_Bookham_-_geograph.org.uk_-_56583.jpg

It's a similar size although it doesn't have the same problems of speed that the Enstone Road junction does. But I completely agree with James and others that it needs to be much easier for pedestrians and cyclists to get across it safely.

Duncan Forbes
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2016, 12:01

Just to endorse James' plea for greater safety for pedestrians at the Enstone crossroads. I am fairly fleet of foot, and frequently need to be. There is no safe way in particular of crossing the Slade arm of the crossroads, something I do most days. With small children, or for those with reduced mobility, sight, or hearing, it is truly hazardous.

Amanda Epps
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2016, 11:48

Our County Councillor, Rodney Rose needs to be made aware of these concerns and I shall email our Town Clerk and Cllr Rose referring them to this thread. It can then be discussed when he attends Town Council.

James Styring
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2016, 11:29

Whatever happens at this junction (and something must happen), it should take into account pedestrians crossing the junction. It's a dangerous and off-putting junction especially when you're with children. The solutions suggested here seem to be about making the junction safer for drivers, which is fair enough of course. I…

Long post - click to read full text

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2016, 00:19

Simon, that's a really interesting suggestion.

Four-way stops are explicitly prohibited in the Traffic Signs Manual ("The Directions prohibit the use of STOP signs and markings or Give Way lines on all legs of a junction, as this would cause uncertainty as to which vehicles had priority (directions 30 and 34(1)(a))."). You can argue as to whether TSM is merely a best-practice document and whether the 'Directions' it mentions (TSRGD 2002) actually say that, and of course you can argue (and I would) that the prohibition is unfounded, but I cannot see OCC Highways going against such a strong recommendation.

However... three-way stops aren't prohibited at all. In other words, you would have stop signs on the Banbury Hill, Nine Acres Lane and Slade approaches, but not when coming from Enstone Road. This same arrangement is in use on the other side of the Cotswolds, in Minchinhampton in Gloucestershire - goo.gl/maps/fQKjHYaVDY92 is the Google Street View link.

Maybe we should ask for that?

stephen cavell
👍

Mon 7 Nov 2016, 22:37

Isn't that the same concept as a mini-roundabout?

Simon Walker
👍

Mon 7 Nov 2016, 20:53

As I pointed out some time ago, when this topic was being aired at length on the forum, there is a much simpler way to make this junction safer than having to put in a mini-roundabout (with whatever land issues that might or might not entail). A four-way stop. It just needs two replacement signs for the current give-ways, two new ones for either side on the Enstone Road, and about an hour of a road-painting crew's time to decorate the road surface in an appropriate fashion.

OK, I know that here in the UK, the concept of a four-way stop is somewhat alien. That is no excuse for not having one, though - maybe we can get Charlbury on the map as being a national leader in road safety?

And just to explain: all four roads at the crossroads have a stop sign. If more than one vehicle arrives from different directions at one time, whoever gets there first goes first, then everyone else in sequence. It's straight-forward, it's simple and it works. As long, of course, as the people who currently ignore the stop sign at the bottom of Browns Lane don't do the same with these ones.

G Clarke
👍

Mon 7 Nov 2016, 20:50

Might it help if the priority was changed so that vehicles coming into Charlbury along the Enstone road and up from town along Brown's Lane had to stop instead?

stephen cavell
👍

Mon 7 Nov 2016, 18:30

We live in Wychwood House on the Enstone Crossroads and in our daily comings and goings often see near misses and have attended actual accidents. My wife took this up with (we think) the Highways dept at Wychwood Fair only to be told that for a mini round-about land would have to be purchased from adjacent properties and he did not think it would be feasible. Could the Council (Town and or County)use this event to concentrate minds? The cost to repair the Broadband Cabinet and our wall, and inconvenience to Broadband users might have gone some way to covering costs.

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Mon 7 Nov 2016, 18:15

I have long thought that a mini roundabout would at least help the situation, making drivers from all directions have to stop. This would force drivers approaching from the Enstone direction, going straight on into Charlbury, to slow down from the frequently excessive speeds I have personally observed.
I do not pretend that this is a perfect solution, but it is at least an improvement, only requiring signage and paint.

David Thomas
👍

Mon 7 Nov 2016, 18:15

To kill the speed of the Enstone Road 'straight on' traffic the council should create chicanes (similar to those on the B4022 going into Witney)on either side of the crossroads. I agree that the visibility coming out of The Slade turning right to Enstone is poor, but it's the speed of the approaching traffic which is the real issue which would be helped by the chicanes.

Craig Richardson
👍

Mon 7 Nov 2016, 17:36

Residents outside of Charlbury are increasingly concerned at the safety of the Charlbury crossroads, specifically the right turn into the Enstone Road. There was a very bad accident at these crossroads last evening around 7 pm - written-off car, fire engine and police. One of our Parishioners has contacted Liz Leffman a while ago about this very dangerous crossroads and she said the District has brought up the subject many times but nothing had been done. We in Taston hate the blind right turn on to the Enstone road coming home from e.g. Witney, and there being no priorities for crossing traffic. The problem is also one of drivers turning left down into the shopping centre of Charlbury, seemingly unaware of oncoming traffic.

Something needs to done about this crossroads and urgently, otherwise a really serious accident will happen, involving car drivers, pedestrians or both.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.