Robert Courts

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Thu 6 Oct 2016, 12:13 (last edited on Thu 6 Oct 2016, 12:16)

Is that why he doesn't mention his position on Brexit in the leaflet I got through the door (or on his website) - because he knows it does not represent the majority view of West Oxfordshire (and I assume the constituency of Witney)? It is, after all, currently the most important political issue which will affect us all...

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 5 Oct 2016, 19:14

Meanwhile, I see that Robert Courts has confirmed (on BBC South Today) that he voted for Leave.

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Wed 5 Oct 2016, 17:10

Yes agreed, Richard. Pretty unpredictable. Which means that tactical voting may not be a great idea - we should vote for who we want - "To thine own self be true"

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 30 Sep 2016, 17:01

It comes and goes. Wikipedia has Labour 2nd in 2015, LibDem 2010, LibDem 2005, Labour 2001, Labour 1997, pretty much tied 1992, Liberal 1987, Liberal 1983. Obviously circumstances change each time round - different party leaders, different candidates, different issues - and each party will want to cherry-pick those most favourable to them. But it's flip-flopped often enough that I wouldn't assume any particular result will be repeated this time round.

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Fri 30 Sep 2016, 15:01 (last edited on Fri 30 Sep 2016, 15:02)

This thread seems to be turning into a Support Lib Dem at the by-election thread. However it might be useful to look at the 2015 results on www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14001046#constituency_result_headline
where it can be seen that second place behind David Cameron was actually Duncan Enwright for Labour - who is standing again this time. The Lib Dems were in fourth place behind UKIP . Labour polled around two and a half times as many votes as the Lib Dems.
The graphic at the bottom showing the change from 2010 is salutary where every party improved their vote except the Lib Dems who lost 12.7%.
We are in danger of believing that the Charlbury elections results are replicated across the Constituency.

Paul Butler
👍

Thu 29 Sep 2016, 20:55

Having looked at his website he appears to want to do all the things that Cameron didn't. Although digging the traffic lights out of Wolvercote roundabout is obviously outside of his constituency. Could someone ask him what on earth a 'speaker for Thames Valley Air Ambulance' is and how this places him above Liz Leffman?

Amanda Epps
👍

Thu 29 Sep 2016, 15:10

Good question Nigel. Liz has challenged him to come clean in today's Oxford Times. Look forward to getting him to answer at the Hustings if not before.

nigel rosser
👍

Thu 29 Sep 2016, 12:06

Thanks Betsy. Very in-depth. Where does he stand on Brexit?

Betsy Glasgow
👍

Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:45

Here is Robert's website for anyone who wants to find out more about him and his plan - www.robertcourts.co.uk/

Chris Tatton
👍

Thu 29 Sep 2016, 09:58

Looks like the local candidate and our own very effective District Councillor Liz Leffman is the best bet then, if we don't want a bland Tory MP this time round. As Mike points out previous Conservatives have got in with 45% of the vote first time they stood and after considerable work in the seat first. The bookies have Liz Leffman as second favourite. C'mon Liz.

Chris Sharpe
👍

Thu 29 Sep 2016, 00:19

Larry Sanders was on 'Any Questions?' the other week. You can get the recording if you want to hear more about his views: www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p046qd1l (Although I think this could be before he became a candidate for Witney)

Liz Gupta
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 22:37

I know, super exciting, go Green...

Helen Chapman
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 20:38

Liz - had to google Larry Sanders after your comment. In case anyone else didn't realise: he's the green party candidate and brother of Bernie Sanders. Bit of a surprise!

Rosalind Scott
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 18:47

Hustings. Churches Together in Charlbury and UNA West Oxfordshire Branch are working together to organize a pre-election meeting on Thursday evening, 13 October, in the Memorial Hall. All the candidates are being invited.As soon as arrangements are finalised there will be a notice on the events page.

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 14:46

There may be 12/13 other candidates, but I think in reality only one party could really mount any meaningful opposition in this area. The Lib Dem vote is going to be really important and it's good that there is such a strong candidate. I do hope there is a husting in Charlbury though.

Liz Gupta
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 14:44

We know Larry Sanders brother pretty well!

Grahame Ockleston
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 14:40

Give him a chance !

Or is momentum building ?

There are another 12 candidates, apparently, of whom we know little.

Ali Ross
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 14:40

If it's that close, sounds like a perfect opportunity to take some money off the bookies. They have him at 50/1 on to win. LibDems second, at 12/1.

Felicity Brooks
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 13:11

Another man in a blue suit with a rictus smile. Just what we need.

nigel rosser
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 12:16 (last edited on Wed 28 Sep 2016, 17:55)

It certainly won't be a safe seat if he thinks he can avoid questions and remove information about himself - and his brief career as a councillor - from the internet as soon as he is selected. Good point about Brexit.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 11:32

The by-election vote is on Thursday 20th October. We surely need a Charlbury husting before then.

Michael Flanagan
👍

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:15 (last edited on Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:17)

Is this really "such a safe seat"?

Cameron's 60% of the 2015 vote certainly gives that impression.
But he, like his two predecessors here, got just 45% of the vote when they first stood. All three invested several years' preparation to get even that. Cameron and Hurd increased their personal votes only through hard work as constituency MPs and prominent members of the country's government.

None had the challenges Courts now faces:
- Brexit. On June 23, this constituency voted to stay in the EU. West Oxfordshire Tories are now at odds with West Oxfordshire voters.
- Osborne's austerity programme is now hitting West Oxfordshire. It's no longer just libraries: now our post offices, bus services, medical centres, children's centres and day care for the elderly are getting the axe.
- Conservatives are publicly arguing with each other whether their MP's, their County Councillors or their District Councillors are responsible for this. They never used to expose their disagreements this way.

Ours is no longer a cushy Conservative seat. The real question is whether Courts is up to dealing with the real threats to the Tories' long-standing stranglehold on West Oxfordshire politics.

No-one so far has shown that he is.

Susan Way
👍

Tue 27 Sep 2016, 16:18

There are 14 candidates apparently so that should split the vote enough to assure Robert Courts a safe passage - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37472040

nigel rosser
👍

Tue 27 Sep 2016, 15:00

Not a lot to go on there is there?

Diana Limburg
👍

Tue 27 Sep 2016, 14:27

There's something a bit odd going on. When I first Googled him last week, a very informative and extensive personal website came up (personal, but within the Conservatives party framework). That seems to have been reduced to some nice smiley pictures: www.robertcourts.co.uk/. Rather a shame, as it did say a lot about him as a small business owner etc.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Tue 27 Sep 2016, 13:59

All I know is what I read here
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/22/new-conservative-candidate-for-david-camerons-witney-seat-reveal/
Apart from that I couldn't even remember his name until I looked again at the Telegraph page.

nigel rosser
👍

Tue 27 Sep 2016, 11:27

Does anyone know anything of the man who is likely - for better or worse - to be our MP for the foreseeable future? He seems very lucky to get such a safe seat after only a few months as a WODC councillor.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.