Smoked out at St Fair

graham W
👍

Fri 23 Sep 2016, 08:52

Like all events, you will learn from any mistakes and how to improve them for the following year. As a Beer Festival committee member I can speak from experience and still on the learning curve. New ideas from this year will be put in place next and so on. But having said this, Keep up all the good work that this town very proudly continues to do, especially the volunteers and vendors because without them you have nothing.

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 21 Sep 2016, 13:39

Gosh Richard, I thought for a moment there that you were importing from Denmark the notion of 'hygge'- all being warm and cosy and nice to one another!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 23:15

I think everyone understands the points being made here and I'm sure no offence will be taken. I don't see a great need to formally lock the thread but I doubt there's much more that can be added. I was going to add a pun about "hogging" the forum but I wouldn't be such a swine.

Amanda
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 22:24

I wish that I had kept my opinions to myself now I had no idea that it would cause such an outrage and for so many people to be offended by it. I really do appreciate all of the work and effort that so many people put onto our Community events as I do know how much hard work it takes.I will keep my mouth shut from now on!

Miles Walkden
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 22:00

Thank you Ed, for all your hard work and commitment to this community. You are greatly appreciated. Can we stop this thread now?

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 21:18

I apologise if In my attempt to defend Amanda's comment that I have offended people.
I would point out however that in the last 61 years many people have worked very hard for the Street Fair, , initially to get it going and maintaining it over the years.

Suzie Williams
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 21:04

Ed (and Maeve) should definitely be praised for all their hard work and dedication to the Street Fair and all of the other wonderful events they give their time to in our community. And I'd like to extend a personal thanks to them both for being so kind to my son when he lost his wallet on Saturday. It meant a lot to him (and me). Only wish we could have stayed out to sample the evening food, it sounded great!

Maeve Bradbury
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 20:14

I'd like to add my gratitude and appreciation to all the Street Fair organisers and volunteers who work so hard to give Charlbury a really fantastic annual event. My husband is one of them and I know how much time and effort is put in for the benefit of this…

Long post - click to read full text

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 17:07

Leah I think you will find that Ed has plenty of experience and the whole idea of Street Fair is to raise money for the Corner House and Memorial Hall. We could not do this if we let a commercial stall run instead taking all profits for themselves. I think you will find it was the wind which contributed to this. Can we close this post now.

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 16:56

My point is Phil perhaps it would be better to be run by someone with more experience

Phil Morgan
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 16:37

Amanda, completely get your point. You obviously have done more than your fair share.
Leah, please do read the posts before you before you fire off your one-liners.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 12:17

the bbq was for the street fair, the other two stalls were comerical with a pertage going to street fair

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 11:17

A commercially run BBQ?

Amanda
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 10:03

I'm not sorry for complaining for all of the smoke as it didnt even smell pleasant like bbqs usually do! I just felt that it was important to highlight the only negative part of the Street Fair for myself and my family, some of whom were not local and had been visiting especially for this event. I appreciate and value all of the hardwork and efforts of everyone concerned and would like to add that over my 26 years in Charlbury I have done more than my fair share of volunteering and do still occasionally do my bit for a variety of things in Charlbury. I now like to spend my time at these events spending time with my grandchildren now that my own children are grown up. If my complaint is taken in a constructive manner then maybe the bbq would be better placed away from the stage and dancing area!

russell robson
👍

Mon 19 Sep 2016, 19:53

What a great night and a really good idea to have he BBQ. I thought it added to the evening and give Charlbury an authentic souk like feel. Perhaps next year we could have the relocated kebab man as well.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Mon 19 Sep 2016, 17:43 (last edited on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 17:45)

As Rachael says, this BBQ was a new venture for the evening introduced as a result of requests in previous years for more food to be available during the evening session. Maybe we didn't get every detail quite right and I'm sure that note will be taken of comments when planning for future years. However, I would like to stress that this BBQ was not run on a commercial basis - any profits after costs going to Street Fair. As with so many aspects of the event, a lot of time and effort were put into this for no personal gain and I would like to thank Ed and all involved.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Mon 19 Sep 2016, 13:38

It was the first time in years we done a BBQ in evening, the wind was in the wrong direction.
If people what the street fair to carry ion please volunteer to join the committee other wise this year would be the last

Elaine Newbold
👍

Mon 19 Sep 2016, 13:35

FYI the BBQ was not a commercial stall - Let hope some volunteers do come forward asap so Street Fair can continue .

Leah Fowler
👍

Mon 19 Sep 2016, 13:31

That's not really fair Phil, Amanda does start by thanking all the volunteers and organisers.The smoke from the Bbq was appalling, as a commercial stall this was unacceptable.

Phil Morgan
👍

Mon 19 Sep 2016, 13:04

I find it sad that such complaint should reflect on what was such a superb night on the street. Street Fair is surviving 'on a wing and a prayer'.
If people feel it can be improved they should volunteer and become part of something that defines what this town is.

Amanda
👍

Sun 18 Sep 2016, 08:48

I would like to say a huge thank you to all of the wonderful volunteers and organisers of the St Fair my family and O had a lovely day. However our evening and dancing in the Street in the Evening was spoilt by the horric smoking BBQ. It was too close to the stage and dancing area and it didnt matter where we stood we were choked by bbq smoke and this was for the dration on the night. We all went home early stinking of burger fat!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.