Real names only please

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 30 Mar 2007, 15:02

Hello all,

We do ask people posting to the website to use their real names (first name and surname) - not aliases, pseudonyms or handles.

This is in the forum guidelines to which you click "Agree" before you make your first posting.

If you're currently posting under a pseudonym, please contact me using the link at the foot of each page and I'll change it to your real name.

The site is unusual but by no means unique in asking for this. For those who are new to the site, we had a particularly unpleasant escapade a couple of years ago when people were posting abuse and even threatening legal action under pseudonyms.

Since this site doesn't seek to be a "virtual community" like many others, but rather an electronic noticeboard for Charlbury people - many of whom know each other in real life - there should be no need for pseudonyms. Newcomers to online forums can often feel intimidated by cliques and customs which are nothing like what they've experienced elsewhere. It's more important that the site is welcoming to all Charlbury people (even if they've not used a forum before) than that it's similar to other forums you may use.

But there are, of course, plenty of anonymous forums out there - like the ever-lively Chippy forum - if you're uncomfortable using your real name!

Thanks for your understanding. If you're unsure about any of this, do contact me using the link at the bottom of the page, or you can find me in the Rose & Crown most Friday nights. :)

Richard

This thread has been locked. You cannot add any further replies.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.