Footpath maintenance

Peter Kenrick
👍

Sat 6 Aug 2016, 20:49

Hi John
Please see my earlier post and separate thread "Let's be Proud of our Town" If you are free, please do come along to our meeting on Tuesday evening at 8pm in the Morris Room.

John Kearsey
👍

Sat 6 Aug 2016, 18:12

In fairness, the road sweeper seems to visit Woodfield Drive and Marlborough Place relatively frequently - or a couple of times a year anyway. More irritating is the lack of grass cutting, especially on the Slade. It makes Charlbury look very scruffy and uncared for.

Julie Negus
👍

Fri 5 Aug 2016, 19:10

Alec I've messaged you ..........again

Jackie Hague
👍

Thu 4 Aug 2016, 12:39

The Cotswolds Wardens, all volunteers, are clearing footpaths and undertaking other tasks throughout the district. However, the warm and wet weather conditions this summer have produced much greater vegetation growth along all of the footpaths than in previous years.

If you'd like to join their team, I'm sure the Wardens would love to hear from you, the web address is: www.cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/grants-and-projects/volunteering/

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 4 Aug 2016, 12:16 (last edited on Thu 4 Aug 2016, 12:17)

The things that people complain about most to do with the roads (weeds, loose kerb stones, potholes, lack of road markings) are the responsibility of the County Council, and have suffered from budget cuts. Road sweeping and emptying of bins is the District Council's responsibility. I will ask how frequently Browns Lane and other roads are being swept. When I last asked about this I was told that the council concentrated on sweeping the roads in tourist destinations such as Woodstock and Burford so place like Charlbury get very little attention - however I did manage to get them out to sweep up leaves etc and I will do what I can to get the town centre swept again.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 4 Aug 2016, 12:09 (last edited on Thu 4 Aug 2016, 12:10)

I shovelled up a wheelbarrow load of weeds dirt and gravel down the side wall road gutter of the Corner House in Browns Lane, a couple of weeks ago, whilst waiting to lock-up. The road sweepers clearly have not been down the road for years, and given the double yellow lines, there are never any cars to get in the way. Any Town initiative will have to deal with where to put these sweepings once collected- they are too contaminated to sort or put on the garden. Many of the kerb stones are out of place so these will need fixing at the same time.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Thu 4 Aug 2016, 11:19

Hi Julie
There have been budget cuts in these areas, principally by OCC. Charlbury Town Council has set up a working group to look into the issue and is engaging with OCC to explore options for the future.

Any solution is likely to involve more local participation and in view of this I am personally lauching an initiative with the support of the town council. Look for my article in the September edition of the Charlbury Chronicle and I will also start a separate thread on this forum titled "Let's be Proud of our Town"

Christopher Betts
👍

Wed 3 Aug 2016, 16:52

Cotswold Wardens used to do some looking after footpaths. I remember once seeing West Oxon. personnel clearing the path beside where we lived then, you could try them - but it's probably not a high priority for them.

Alec Sime
👍

Mon 1 Aug 2016, 15:40

Hi Julie....Hope you can recall our previous contact back in 2013 when you replied to my enquirey re info from the old days. My wife and Ihave arranged a short two night stay in Charlbury on August (15th and 16th). If your dad was in the local I would love to buy him a beer and pick his brain from days of my youth. Hope you can reply Regards Alec

Julie Negus
👍

Mon 1 Aug 2016, 15:16

We visited Charlbury yesterday to visit family and my first thought on driving through the town was "What a MESS" grass verges totally over grown and weeds over taking the path ways.
Have WODC really had to cut budget or what

jeffrey Thomas
👍

Sun 31 Jul 2016, 15:54

Hello. Is there any group concerned with footpath maintenance? Parts of the path from Charlbury towards Ditchley is overgrown and nettly at the moment, not easily passable. I'd be happy to clear some of it, but is there anything already in place?
Jeffrey Thomas
(Stonesfield resident, 1st posting).

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.