That's OK as I am dis-interested now!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 16 Mar 2007, 13:12

Sorry--- 'wiki', not 'wikki'

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 16 Mar 2007, 13:08

Gad-Zooks! I just read that the word 'wikki' has been added to the OED. That means a Hawaiian word has officially entered the language.

(Hawaiian for 'quick'; as in Wikki-pedia)

They'll be forcing us to wear grass hula skirts in the middle of winter next!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 13 Mar 2007, 10:15

John: no, that would be 'dis-information'.

Chris Tatton
👍

Mon 12 Mar 2007, 21:05

An advice center! Umm, might this mean there is an election coming up in Charlbury. When the Tories deliver their first leaflet in two years, then we can be certain there is an election coming up. Umm.

John Munro
👍

Mon 12 Mar 2007, 19:56

Igor,
I do hope you aren't 'dissing' any of my relatives who come from Alabama? :-)

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 12 Mar 2007, 16:05

For better of worse, language and spellings always bend to the command of usage; as anyone who has ever compared the OED over the years can testify.

Although I do find some of the sentiments I've read on this site wouldn't go amiss coming from an American state, particularly the southern ones.

;-)

Gareth Miller
👍

Sat 10 Mar 2007, 19:29

What I'd like to know is how you hold a centre!

graham W
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2007, 16:52

It all gone to pot!!

Dave Gamble
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2007, 14:53

Spelling? I think you will find it is spliff!!!!
Or was it a typing error?!

Michael Flanagan
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2007, 11:51

All round the village we have posters from Sue Haffenden, our County Councillor, for her next "meet the people" session.

Which Ms Haffenden calls her Advice Center.

So:

- Is it Conservative policy to become part of America? I'm not complaining (it'd be nice to go shopping in New York without getting fingerprinted every time): I'd just like to know.
- Or did Mr Cameron miss his spelling lessons while he was spiffing up round the back of the bike sheds, and the rest of the West Oxon Tories now all copy the boss?
- Or, most intriguingly, is there a West Oxon Tory split between the Cameroons ("let's rebalance our slavish relationship with America") and the pro-American traditionalists? Is Sue's innovative approach to spelling the clue to a rift that'll transform British politics?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.