Discussion and debate on EU Membership 7pm, 28th June

vicky burton
👍

Thu 30 Jun 2016, 11:00

I spoke to a woman this morning who voted to leave the EU, who feels she was lied to and stated that if there was a second referendum; she would vote to remain. She is devastated by the effects already and I am sure she is not alone.

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Wed 29 Jun 2016, 21:57

I agree Chris. 67% of Charlbury residents voted to Remain. Over two-thirds. That's quite a majority. Independence for Charlbury from yoke of Westminster!

For comparison:
37% of UK voters in 2015 voted Conservative with only 24.3% of registered voters actually voting for them. That's less than 1 in 4 people in the UK actually voting for the party who got the power to call this referendum (among other things). And people complain about the EU being undemocratic!

52% of the UK voted to Leave, 48% voted to Remain. What's done is done and more people wanted to vote Leave than Remain in the whole of the UK. (However, I am not sure _all_ those 52% really understood what they were voting for and were arguably misinformed.) There is a case that such a momentous decision should require a greater majority than first past the post. If I was forced to come up with a figure I would probably pick 67%!

Chris Tatton
👍

Wed 29 Jun 2016, 20:47

Thanks for organising Craig.

As Charlbury voted to remain with a huge majority, perhaps we ought to request that Charlbury Town Council begin talks with the EU on our behalf to see if we can remain members, together with Scotland and Gibraltar, etc.

vicky burton
👍

Wed 29 Jun 2016, 16:39 (last edited on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 19:04)

How about another meeting then with more notice so all who wanted to be there could attend? I am sure Malcolm would be made welcome as would anyone else with a view.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 22:32 (last edited on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 07:18)

It's my personal page, Malcolm. Anyway, I've deleted it -- see below.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 22:24

I'm afraid the Facebook page referred to is blatantly partisan and biased to one point of view, but not surprised

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 22:02

I wasn't there, due to the short notice, but disimpowerment is a state of mind and as a female (and mildly disabled) in a room of all male speakers, I'd be quite happy the event actually happened at all.

Craig Richardson
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 21:52

Thanks Jon, I don't think anyone there would want anyone to feel disempowered during the discussions. But useful feedback, and thanks for the Facebook link.

I was pleased with the turnout in what was a hastily arranged event.

Perhaps there is a strand here, 'What Next?' that might continue to deal with all of these issues, which are growing in complexity with each passing day.

Thanks to all for coming, I hope this demonstration of amateur politics on my part was worthwhile.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 21:14 (last edited on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 07:17)

Thanks Craig. A very interesting meeting. (I've deleted the rest, to save going off piste.)

john h
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 16:22 (last edited on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 16:22)

At least it means we do not have to enter The European Song Contest !!!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 13:45

I have, but that's only my friends.

Craig Richardson
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 13:21

Dear John, this was organised yesterday, there is a little poster outside the Corner House but we are dependent on word of mouth. If you could put it on Facebook I'd be really grateful.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:51 (last edited on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:52)

Not everyone reads the forum! Are there any posters? No one has shared it with me on Facebook.

Neil Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:15 (last edited on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 14:21)

The Corner House book shop will be open this evening for people to browse before and after the debate.
Please bring along any books you would like to donate. All proceeds to the Corner House.

Craig Richardson
👍

Tue 28 Jun 2016, 09:33 (last edited on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 09:33)

Tue 28 Jun: What Next?

An open, non-party political discussion and debate on the significant outcomes of the Referendum on the UK's EU Membership.

All views are welcome.

7.00 - 8.00pm, Tuesday 28th June
Morris Room, Corner House

Nick Johnson
👍

Mon 27 Jun 2016, 12:27

I'm afraid I can't attend and am probably still too angry and the narrowing of my children and grandchildren's life choices to make a rational contribution.However, I think we will all start having to look at www.eureferendum.com/documents/flexcit.pdf which is apparantly what civil servants are being recommended to read.

Craig Richardson
👍

Mon 27 Jun 2016, 11:01 (last edited on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 19:56)

Dear respondents, the meeting is not a rerun of the last six weeks, whatever your views then or now. However every commentator agrees this is a momentous decision. The intention of the meeting is to ask and discuss What Next? What Happens Now?

I'm hoping we can hear from all views, whether you were for Leave or Remain, whether you think the Referendum should have been held, or is decisive, or is the best type of representation.

Whatever your views everyone is free to express these viewpoints - and many others - in what I hope will be a courteous, informative and lively meeting.

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Mon 27 Jun 2016, 09:57

I think Craig's message says - all welcome.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Mon 27 Jun 2016, 09:28 (last edited on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 09:45)

So the meeting is only for those who wanted to remain in the EU as its currently constituted and direction of travel?

Also isn't it obvious from the political fall out in the Westminster bubble, MP's in all parties are out of touch with the majority of the electorate?

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Mon 27 Jun 2016, 08:52

My guess as to why is possibly because a number of people are feeling a sense grief over the result and want to come together to share their feelings, at the same time exploring any means of influencing the outcome of negotiations.
The referendum is not binding on Parliament - I never wanted a referendum. I have always believed in the supremacy of Parliament. I feel it was a mistake for the referendum not to have a higher threshold of success than 50%; too many people do not want to leave - including the majority of MPS - to be ignored. If a referendum was necessary in the first instance, then we surely need to vote again, when we know the result of the negotiations and our new relationship with our EU partners.

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 27 Jun 2016, 08:27

Genuine question - Why? and why as soon as possible?

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 20:20

Does the article mention Charlbury?

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 20:03

Astonishing article in De Welt mainstream German newspaper today - A must read!

Die Welt Calls For Merkel's Resignation, Slams "EU's Gravedigger"
www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-26/die-welt-calls-merkels-resignation-slams-eus-gravedigger

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 19:53

67 percent of Charlbury residents voted to Remain. Scotland only got 62 percent for Remain and they will surely be getting another vote to be free of Westminster (with its undemocratic Commons and an appointed Lords - sound familiar?) Is Charlbury independence on the agenda?

Thank you Chris. That information is interesting.

Craig Richardson
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 12:11

Dear Charlbury residents, I will book the Morris Room in the Corner House, from 7 - 8pm on Tuesday 28 June. I have three stewards and the room accommodates 60 people.

The intention of the meeting is to discuss and discuss the implications of the UK's membership of the European Union and the decision to leave. The decision has implications for Parliament's duties, leadership of the main political parties, European relations, and the relation of the four countries of the United Kingdom.

The meeting is not intended to be party political but to enagage with the widest possible attendance.

All welcome.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 10:37

Craig, I have just messaged you about the various room availability - they are all clear, although the Hall has badminton at 8pm. Stephen

Liz Leffman
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 09:14

Thanks for organising this, Craig. Sorry I can't be there, I will be away.

Chris Tatton
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 00:09

I attended the local count in Witney with our District Councillor Andy Graham, you may be interested to know that Charlbury voted 67% to remain

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 25 Jun 2016, 22:17

Good work Craig

Craig Richardson
👍

Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:42

I am planning an open, non-party political discussion and debate on the highly significant outcomes of the Referendum on UK's EU Membership.

The rapidity of events means this is best held as soon as possible, from 7.00 - 8.00pm on the evening of Tuesday 28th June 2016 is a sensible option.

I hope to book the Memorial Hall or Corner House and awaiting the office reopening on Monday to book.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.