Market Street - Road Closure 20 June - 8 July 2016

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 29 Jun 2016, 13:47 (last edited on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 13:55)

Since the work now seems to have been completed the results of the survey are available here in PDF format
drive.google.com/file/d/0B67OfH41hZf_NWdaZHJXZHhwdWc/view?usp=sharing
If you have any problem reading this please contact me
So 57 responses and a lot of very useful views and comments

Mark Sulik
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 22:01

I am sure that the residents of Nine Acres Lane and Thames Street are equally pleased to have a reduction in the volume of traffic . Having been a resident of Market Street it is difficult to speed as he road is so narrow. Until a few years ago it was the bus route through the Town . Let's hope that the cyclist don't continue to ride up Market Street the wrong way and that the pavement is used for its intended purpose.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 18:30

Indeed - as I mentioned on 10th June, our drain (near the Post Office) had partly collapsed and that does appear to be one of the areas that has been fixed.

It was lovely while the road was closed though - lots of people walking and cycling safely down the road without having to worry about speeding or careless traffic.

Mark Sulik
👍

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 17:21

As of today ( Sunday 26 th ) Market Street is open to traffic and it looks like the works have finished. If this is the case then the time frame for executing he works was much less than originally thought. Large areas of new Tarmac are laid in areas that do not correspond to the location of the new development - so they were not to blame ! The confusion and impact of the diverted traffic will redistribute traffic flow to all the roads that service the town and routes through it

russell robson
👍

Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:41

1st world problems

Elaine Newbold
👍

Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:53

Thanks Tony if it was closed the turning round point would not be the Post Office we have already had one insurance claim from someone who in the past drove into our post causing a lot of damage .

Tony H Merry
👍

Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:24

Once more I would like to thank all those who responded to the survey - 52 now!
I was also very impressed by the useful comments made

as I said the results will be published in a couple of weeks time but it clear that some important points have come out

Firstly the poor signage during the present closure

Secondly the need to consider all knock on effects in other parts of the Town

To be clear the suggestion of permanent closure to through traffic would still allow access, parking outside the shops and deliveries. Of course some place to turn round would also be required.

Heather Williams
👍

Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:03

Will it be closed again next Monday when they start work again?

Elaine Newbold
👍

Sat 25 Jun 2016, 09:51

Market street is now open

Jean Adams
👍

Fri 24 Jun 2016, 20:41

I don't know where Ross McKenzie is coming from, but Park Street and Church Street and Sheep Street are still open. You can also park outside the Chemist and Corner House and go to The Post Office, if there is room which entails reversing to leave. The confusion is caused by a sign which says ROAD CLOSED at Fiveways. Please will someone remove it or there will be an accident.

Tony H Merry
👍

Fri 24 Jun 2016, 17:16

Yes Harriet the signage is very poor. In addition to the places you said there are also no signs on the Enstone Road at the crossroads or on Browns Lane at the playing close which also cause confusion. I have mentioned this to the Town Clerk who will try to follow it up.

Alan Cobb
👍

Fri 24 Jun 2016, 13:41

There are several houses, shops and businesses with access off the eastern end of Market St. They all have a need (and a right) to pass the Road Closed signs.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 24 Jun 2016, 04:46

Actually, if cars come down dancers hill and along Pooles lane, there are no signs. So they won't know Market Street is closed. And I haven't been down to the centre to look since but on Monday there was a sign by the rose and crown indicating market Street was closed that was only visible to cars coming the wrong way up sheep street.

Ross McKenzie
👍

Thu 23 Jun 2016, 23:18 (last edited on Thu 23 Jun 2016, 23:34)

To all who keep driving past the Road Closed sign leading to maket street, the road is funnily enough closed and you'll be one of about 20 cars to attempt to get passed. Just go the long way!

Bob Khosa
👍

Thu 23 Jun 2016, 20:14

Around 18:40, a car pulled out of The Bull car park (which has a direction sign at it's exit indicating one way) and sped up Brown's Lane the wrong direction. From the speed, I would bet the driver knew what they were attempting.
At the same time, a female cyclist was approaching Brown's Lane from Poole's Lane. Had she not been a safe, cautious cyclist, and relied on there being no cars coming from the right, would have easily have continued into the path of the car.

On the plus side, it was a lovely, white Jag, and good to see British engineering still holds its own.

Mark Sulik
👍

Thu 23 Jun 2016, 14:10

A,lot of traffic diverted to the only alternative route , causing congestion at the junction of Nine Acres and Thames Street. Is this the start of the Charlbury By Pass campaign.

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 22 Jun 2016, 17:56

Thank you all for the good response to my informal survey - 25 so far
I will leave this open for the next couple of weeks and then share results and comments (quite a few of these so far and very useful)

Simon Walker
👍

Wed 22 Jun 2016, 13:49

Not to mention some bright lads in a van going the wrong way up Sheep Street just after 1.15. Despite traffic coming the right way in front of them, no intention at all of reversing back ....

emma carroll
👍

Wed 22 Jun 2016, 12:03

this am I saw 3 cars drive up browns lane the wrong way rather than going round by fishers lane so people beware

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 22 Jun 2016, 09:00

I thought it would be useful to get peoples responses to the closure in a survey.
Please note that this is a personal initiative and not linked to the Town Council or the Neighbourhood Forum and is for information only
If you would like to take part this is a link to the Survey www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/A737G/

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 18 Jun 2016, 10:39

Thank you Rosemary.

Rosemary Jodko-Narkiewicz
👍

Tue 14 Jun 2016, 10:14

Just wanted to agree with the good comments made by Rosemary Bennett on June 11th.

Susan Way
👍

Mon 13 Jun 2016, 20:01

I've posted a notice in the News section - we had a note from OCC which confirms Market Street will be closed for up to three weeks from 20 June 2016. Nothing from Thames Water!

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 11 Jun 2016, 10:50 (last edited on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 10:58)

We also have heavy traffic within inches of our windows, with the consequential breaking up of the road surfaces that are patched up from time to time. My point here was that the WEIGHT of the trucks, lorries, flatbed hoists with deadweight loads, sewage collection vehicles, and all of those heavy-materials delivery vehicles that are related to house building, have added exponentially to the burden on the streets. How much does a house weigh? Hence the use here of Market Street as a prime example of what happens when the planners do not rise to the challenge of a small town with antequated sewage systems, poor road surfacing and overwhelming volumes of traffic already (and here are your buses, coaches and the like) being subject to any amount of infill development without attention to the infrastructures supporting all of it. I am pointing out that this could serve as a wake-up call to the planning department, because if you just think about it, the closure of a main street for three weeks, just because brand new houses are being swamped with sewage, is farcical almost beyond belief.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 10 Jun 2016, 21:26

I don't think you can uniquely blame construction traffic. I often see heavy traffic driving a few inches past our front windows, going straight over our drain cover on the pavement (which has indeed collapsed and which Thames Water's contractors have had to attend to twice), but it is by no means all associated with the building works. There are coaches, courier lorries, you name it.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 10 Jun 2016, 18:48 (last edited on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 18:58)

It's completely obvious that the road is collapsing because of the volume and WEIGHT of heavy traffic over a long period of infill building of houses on both sides of the road. One of the brand new houses has been having sewage piped out on a weekly basis because of the obvious inadequancies of the existing sewage system. I wouldn't mind betting that Highways passed the planning application for all this new house building in exactly the same way that they have just passed the Pooles Lane development.

Liz Leffman
👍

Fri 10 Jun 2016, 07:59

I've asked our county councillor if he can find out from Highways what is happening about access etc

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 9 Jun 2016, 23:04

No, nothing. Good news if they're really fixing the collapsed sewers on Market Street, though I suspect it will continue to happen as long as lorries mount the pavement!

Elaine Newbold
👍

Thu 9 Jun 2016, 20:22 (last edited on Thu 9 Jun 2016, 20:22)

It looks like Market Street is set to be closed from the 20th Jun - 8 July not a word from Thames Water who are needing to do the work, has anyone be notified by Thames Water ?we did have a chap come in from WODC warning us and had expected us to have been notified but we have not . he had no idea about access ....
"Location:
Old Post House
Description:
Sewer Failure --works intended to include first time permanent reinstatment within same phase"

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.