Name of large tree in St Mary's churchyard?

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 8 Jun 2016, 07:51

The branches were hitting the top of the hearse.

Peter Bridgman
👍

Tue 7 Jun 2016, 20:34

If you let so-called tree surgeons start lopping bits off this wonderful tree you will almost certainly ruin it. Conifers of this type will not regenerate from lopping and you will end up with an ugly mess which will probably result in the tree being felled completely. PLEASE let it be. It worries me that branches have already been removed, why? Every time I come into the churchyard I stand and admire this remarkable tree.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Tue 7 Jun 2016, 12:04

It would be helpful if some significant top growth could be taken out as well. Magnificent conifer specimen as the tree might be, it is in a direct line from our house in the dip in Park Street to the Walcot transmitter, so even with new digital transmission, and extra height to our aerial pole our pictures and radio are increasingly breaking-up. The tree apparently grows up to 60m

Brian Murray
👍

Mon 6 Jun 2016, 22:45

The tree has clearly received some recent attention from arborists who have lopped several of the lower branches. Presumably the work will have been commissioned by the P.C.C., so perhaps the P.C.C. might ask the expert contractors for their considered opinion.

stephen cavell
👍

Mon 6 Jun 2016, 07:33

Once we get it confirmed I suggest it is labelled.

Peter Bridgman
👍

Sun 5 Jun 2016, 23:03

This magnificent tree is definitely a Thuya or Thuja but it needs a conifer expert to decide whether it is T occidentalis or T plicata. My guess is that it is plicata, but it is only a guess.

Jenny Chambers
👍

Sun 5 Jun 2016, 18:40

If you are talking about the big tree near the main door into the church, I believe it's a Thuja. The clue is in the smell of the crushed leaves, which is pineapple-like.

Angus B
👍

Sun 5 Jun 2016, 17:43

Surely not taxus - the leaves are wrong and the tree's the wrong shape! Looks more like a cupressus to me, with my limited knowledge.

Julie Penny
👍

Sun 5 Jun 2016, 14:44

Without seeing the tree is difficult to name, but Taxus or yew is very common in church yards and can live for 1000 years or more.

marion coates
👍

Sun 5 Jun 2016, 13:28

Please does anyone know the botanical name for the large tree in St Mary's churchyard? During Artweeks we were asked by several visitors, and had to plead ignorance, other than, " A type of cypress...?"

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.