The right to roam

Liz Puttick
👍

Fri 8 Apr 2016, 08:43

I find a bull is quite an effective deterrent to keep people orf one's land.

Tony H Merry
👍

Thu 7 Apr 2016, 22:10 (last edited on Fri 8 Apr 2016, 18:24)

For those who would like to have a right to roam you are all welcome to join the Parish Boundary Walk on May 1st
As usual Lord Rotherwick is allowing us access to parts of his private estate on this day. We also have permission to use other paths not normally open to the public
You will have to join our organised walk but we will allow time to appreciate the views and tell you interesting facts along the route
All are welcome and we start at the boundary oak at the top of Forest Hill at 10.00 on Sunday 1st May
I will!be leading this walk and everyone is welcome to cone along for a good days walking. We stop for luch at the farm at Ditchley and it is possible to join or leave at any point where we cross a road
It is possible to join and leave the walks at various points and I will post details
So come a?long and have a nice walk and also follow a very old tradition as it is important to mark the Parish Boundaries. We do stray into Spelsbury at one point but don't tell anyone!
Please contact me with any questions

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 7 Apr 2016, 20:09

Thank you Richard

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 7 Apr 2016, 18:16

England got a right to roam in 2005 (Scotland has long had it, as Russell says), but what's not so well-known is that it only applies to "mountains, moors, heaths and downs" and a small amount of common land. Dyers Hill and Nine Acres Lane do not qualify as a mountain, even if they might feel like that when trudging off the last train.

There's a full explanation on the Ramblers' website: http://www.ramblers.org.uk/~/media/Files/Go%20walking/AccessFactSheet-FS8.pdf

I suspect that, in these cases, the walkers had heard about the reinstated right but didn't know of its limited scope.

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 7 Apr 2016, 18:05

I agree, we know it was abolished but others obviously do not We have experienced people who have walked across our field and when we met them they said, but there is a gate (locked)so there is a 'Right to Roam'. The couple on Sunday evening similarly walked across private land.

russell robson
👍

Wed 6 Apr 2016, 21:32

I think you'll find the right to roam was largely removed in 1845, be it here or any other part of England. The legislation in Scotland is and always has been different.

Peter Bridgman
👍

Wed 6 Apr 2016, 10:51

At risk of being accused of wingeing, I agree with Liz Puttick. I have lived in Charlbury for more than 40 yrs. In the whole of this time we have never had the right to roam around here. Hemmed in by the estates of Ditchley, Cornbury and Blenheim you walk on designated footpaths and don't you stray from them, or you will be assaulted by some gun carrying jack booted gamekeeper! My roaming days are over but I have plenty of past experiences.

Liz Puttick
👍

Wed 6 Apr 2016, 09:31

"Right to Roam"? You're having a laugh.

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 5 Apr 2016, 20:18

This does not include the Blenheim fields this side of the railway, where there are new lambs and horses in the adjacent field.
If you are new to Charlbury please consult locals who know the form.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.