4" of Snow - Charlbury is silent as a grave at 6.00hr

John Munro
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2007, 18:51

Are there any (ex-)GIs remaining in Charlbury? Would be interested as I am the son of a GI who was stationed at Lakenheath back in 1956 and now run a website and organisation that helps people trace their GI fathers/families!

scott blodgett
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2007, 15:37

Jeff Hudson, no I didn't know him, the only other american, or Yank, living in Charlbury that I knew was Mike Arata, who was my roomie and co-worker. Mike married Lisa Stickley (I hope I spelt that right, she has been Lisa Arata to me for years)from Charlbury.
As I spent most of my time off at the Bull, when Bill and Maggie owned it, if Jeff had a different local I probably never met him. I looked on classmates.com, as they have a large number of military there by where they had been stationed, but I did not find him registered there, Sorry. Scott

john h
👍

Tue 13 Feb 2007, 22:53

Scott
Did you know of a Jeff Hudson, airman living in Charlbury late 80's

John

scott blodgett
👍

Tue 13 Feb 2007, 03:04

4 inches!, I remember 1 storm way back in the mid 80's that pretty well shut down everything around Charlbury. It was made even worse as I was just moving into Charlbury from RAF Upper Heyford at the time and the hills on the road to the base were quite a challenge to drive. Hope all is as well there now as it was 20 years ago. Scott

Julie Negus
👍

Sat 10 Feb 2007, 16:25

Nice to Charlbury made it onto GMTV because of the snow!!

graham W
👍

Thu 8 Feb 2007, 18:21

Pain killers Malcolm, then Tobogganing with your history - bit radical, are you sure that it wasn't Illinois rather than Ontario!? After all that were all the ill cockney people go!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 8 Feb 2007, 13:41

I've put a handful of photos over on the galleries here.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 8 Feb 2007, 13:14

Having just completed a walk around Charlbury I would estimate the average snowfall to be between four and six inches. Isn't it blissfully quiet without any motor vehicles moving around? Perhaps the best way to reduce carbon emissions in the UK would be to blanket the country with six inches of artificial snow all year round! All forms of transport (with the exception of shanks's pony) would just grind to a halt...

marie
👍

Thu 8 Feb 2007, 12:59

Well i measured 8inches of snow as an average in my back garden at 12.30 today

John Munro
👍

Thu 8 Feb 2007, 12:13

Pretty, isn't it?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 8 Feb 2007, 07:40

Eeery quiet. Nothing moved since waking at 5.30 - yes, spinal pain meant only 2 hrs sleep for me tonight, alas.

Is Charlbury School closed?

I've taken a morning 3x normal dose of painkillers, thus breaking my rules, so anyone out with a toboggan or cardboard box to do the Hundley way hill? Might be a bit late into school if it IS still open!

Best wishes all.

Tho' as a lad who grew up in the Erie Snowbelt area of Ontario, Canada, I still chortle with delight after even 30 years here at the British capacity to jam solid with 4" of snow.

Never ceases to amaze me!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.