Woodstock Road Closure

Philip Ambrose
👍

Fri 8 Apr 2016, 08:28

Was a road closure really necessary for a bit of patching and white lining?
2016 Elfin Safety probably says yes, but for 10 days? Was the work conducted by one man with a barrow of bitumen? I was expecting to see a few miles of nice new blacktop! The patching is quite bumpy compared to the rest of the road surface, but better than potholes. When do they come to Charlbury itself? Plenty of scope for improvement.

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 24 Mar 2016, 21:29

I believe according to some posts here that it was due to re-open by Good Friday, perhaps they are a little ahead of schedule.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Thu 24 Mar 2016, 21:04

I think it has been opened fully now; it was certainly open at 1:00pm today and still open at 7:30pm, with no sign of any cones or workmen's paraphernalia to be seen anywhere.

Nick Millea
👍

Thu 24 Mar 2016, 17:40

It looked to be fully open this morning when I cycled through.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 24 Mar 2016, 13:31

Yes, you can drive along it after the workmen have gone home for the day. I'm not sure if it's open in the mornings though.

NADINE MILLS
👍

Thu 24 Mar 2016, 09:01

Came back that way yesterday at around 4pm - all open then.

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 23 Mar 2016, 18:25

Seems to be open again now. Anyone know for sure?

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 21 Mar 2016, 18:27

I wonder if one is committing a criminal offence by driving along a road that is officially closed?

Jackie Hague
👍

Mon 21 Mar 2016, 11:50

Woodstock Road is closed again.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sun 20 Mar 2016, 14:57

Thanks Nadine, just about to set off.

NADINE MILLS
👍

Sun 20 Mar 2016, 14:54

Went to Oxford today and Woodstock road was open all the way!

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sun 20 Mar 2016, 14:53

Is the road still closed?

Katie Ewer
👍

Thu 17 Mar 2016, 09:19

The increased traffic through Fawler is a bit of a nightmare. Drivers seem to think that they can apply the same speed limits on the diversion as they would on Woodstock Road, although there is actually a 30mph speed limit. Walking the dog with the kids at the moment is particularly perilous, especially when cars come flying down Stonesfield Hill and then realise there is a sharp bend and pedestrians to contend with. Thank goodness it's only a short-term diversion.

russell robson
👍

Wed 16 Mar 2016, 21:58

Loads of signage today

Angus B
👍

Wed 16 Mar 2016, 14:00

On Monday evening we made our way to Charlbury from Oxford and turned off, as normal - as there was nothing to say we shouldn't ?" at The Duke Of Marlborough. At the Stonesfield junction a sign told us to go straight on ?" which in itself is confusing as the main road doesn't go straight on ?" so we did go straight on and followed the road towards Stonesfield having seen the notice to follow the Diversion Signs. We didn't see any. Having threaded our way through Stonesfield, which is not that familiar to us, we came out at the T-junction by The White Horse. Undecided which way to turn we went left as we thought ?" correctly - that that would take us past Callow Farm and out on to the Charlbury ?" Woodstock Road. There was no indication in Stonesfield to suggest this was an unwise move but, when we arrived at the junction we found we couldn't turn left as the road was closed! So, turning round, we retraced our way to Stonesfield and came to Charlbury through Fawler. On our way to Sheep Street we saw no Diversion signs between Ditdhley Gate and Charlbury except one at the end of the Fawler Road to tell us we'd have to reach the A44 (I think) via Enstone.

It seems to me that Oxfpordshire County Council has been very economical with its signage. Fortunately we are fairly familiar with the area but I dread to think what some strangers might've encountered.

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 15 Mar 2016, 18:15

Will those in the know please post something here when it's open again as I use it for my daily commute? Thanks!

Tony H Merry
👍

Mon 14 Mar 2016, 18:06

Charlie - OCC Highways make decisions such as this and the contact for Further information regarding the works may be obtained by contacting Simon Marsden, OCC Highways & Transport on 0845 310 11 11.

Charlie Peacock
👍

Mon 14 Mar 2016, 13:34

Yesterday, when travelling towards the A40 via the Woodstock Road I noticed the yellow markings indicating the road surface areas to be repaired and/or replaced.
I would say that condition of the vast majority of the latter areas appears to be far superior to many of the substandard roads in Charlbury that need urgent attention and wonder whose decision it was to take this action.

Christopher Betts
👍

Sat 12 Mar 2016, 15:06

The letter sent to Woodstock Rd residents over the signature of Simon Marsden says the work is for 'up to nine working days to complete'. Questions to him on 0845 310 1111. Access preserved, we are told, to properties our end. The notice the other end is just by the turning to Stonesfield (via Callow Farm).

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 12 Mar 2016, 08:51

I read it on the Charlbury Website, you should read it sometime, it's very imformative

Alan Wilson
👍

Fri 11 Mar 2016, 09:36

There is no hint on the signs that have been put up that the estimated length of the closure is being measured in working days rather than the more natural interpretation of the word "days".

Janet Burroughs
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 22:43

Closure of Woodstock Road is for 9 working days from 14 March as per the Oxfordshire CC letter we received this week. So should be open again Friday 25 March - which is, wait for it, Good Friday!

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 21:00 (last edited on Thu 10 Mar 2016, 21:03)

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 21:00 (last edited on Thu 10 Mar 2016, 21:03)

Stand corrected Leah!

Leah Fowler
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 19:40

10 working days

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 16:40 (last edited on Thu 10 Mar 2016, 16:56)

In Charlbury news it reports as from 14 March for 10 days.

sharon
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 15:57

I think it's closed as from the 14th March

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 15:12

Is Woodstock Road still closed?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.