Dead tree in Wigwal nature reserve

john h
👍

Wed 31 Jan 2007, 18:53

Wigwell is indead managed by the Town Council, if you have a promlem please contact Roger Clarke on 01608 810608. Who will be pleased to help.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 29 Jan 2007, 01:19

It's managed by the District Council I believe, so that's one stop (West Oxford District Council). However, last year I spotted a tree which had dropped a branch very dangerously onto a gatepost of a bridge across the stream in Wigwell, and contacted the Charlbury Town Clerk ... Roger err err I can't seem to find his name or number on the website, am I going blind? Nothing under any search for Town Clerk, Charlbury Town Council, comes up with a phone number??

Anyway, this tree branch was sorted quite quickly, and it and much of the rotten old tree it departed chopped and left on the ground to gently decay into habitat for the creepy crawlies.

Dead trees are an important wildlife resource, and if its the one I think it is, "yours" is a good size. Perhaps they can leave the main trunk standing in large part once any branches are lopped - standing trunks are particularly rare habitat nowadays. Countryside is way too neat much of the time. We need lots of well rotted stands as well as stuff on the ground if we hope to achieve some better ecological balance (along with a return to highly managed pollarding etc. More variety woven into the tapestry the better).

marie
👍

Sat 27 Jan 2007, 18:33

My garden backs onto wigwal,There's a dead tree situated the other side of my fence.With the strong winds quite a few branches have snapped off.Does anyone know who i need to contact about the possibility of having cut down before it does any damaged to my garden?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.