Wilderness Local Tickets update

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:55

Wilderness Local Discount tickets have almost sold out so almost last chance to purchase at the special price

Elaine Newbold
👍

Sun 21 Feb 2016, 00:26

We have now sold around 86% of Adult tickets so only a few left now . We do have plenty of Young Persons tickets .

Elaine Newbold
👍

Thu 18 Feb 2016, 12:08

We have already sold around 65% of adult tickets so selling fast - we have also received a further supply of children tickets and car park tickets for those that are waiting to collect - Sorry for those who had to wait in a long queue to get tickets on tuesday thanks for everyone's patience .

Alison Wright
👍

Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:52

There is a limit of four adult discounted tickets per house and this was reiterated at the public meetings. There was no suggestion that the allocation per household would increase this year. The reason for the limit per household is so that as many people as possible in Charlbury have access to the discounted tickets.

Trevor Taylor
👍

Sat 13 Feb 2016, 14:41

Stephen,

It's not me you need to make happy but the Wilderness management. As four of the six tickets would be going to people who live outside the OX7 3** local area Wilderness may well feel the non-residents would not qualify even if they were to make a concession and allow you to purchase six local tickets.... which, I guess, is unlikely. The rules are there for a reason.

John Munro
👍

Sat 13 Feb 2016, 11:39

Would there be anything wrong (morally) in buying local tickets as a genuine local and then offering them to another genuine local wanting additional ones?

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sat 13 Feb 2016, 11:38 (last edited on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 11:40)

Trevor, At the festival meeting the other week, besides saying that the local tickets would cost £100, Rufus, on behalf of Wilderness, stated that not only were they increasing the overall OX7 3** local area allocation, but that they were going to increase the allocation per household. My two grown up children and their partners are planning to attend the event with Liz and I as we all did last year - they all live in rented accommodation elsewhere, but their permanent address is still here at our house in Charlbury. Happy now?

Trevor Taylor
👍

Sat 13 Feb 2016, 10:56

So, someone wants six discounted local tickets not four. The allocation is four per household, if Wilderness makes an exception for one they must make an exception for all. Are there really six adults living at this one house or are some tickets to be used by people from outside the OX7 3** area? If the latter then they will be depriving legitimate local residents from getting the discounted local tickets. Is that fair? The discount is generous as is the allocation -" let's not be greedy.

John Munro
👍

Sat 13 Feb 2016, 09:41

According to the GWR website, the line between Didcot Parkway and Oxford will be closed from 30 July to 15 Aug for flood defence work.......

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Sat 13 Feb 2016, 09:27

I have been given a poster from the wilderness organisers that is now in my shop window regarding Local Wilderness tickets and all relevant info you need to know, one thing to remember is that when you go to the festival it says you need to take proof of address and I.D to exchange ticket for a wristband something you will need to remember to take with you, also please note that only the Charlbury post office sells the local tickets think your gonna be busy Elaine have fun.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 12 Feb 2016, 23:49

just got a letter from GWR 3-7th August 2016 railway will be closed between Oxford and Charlbury for bridge repair work ie Wilderness weekend was this a friday funny from Jon Morgan project manager GWR or is he really closing the railway it on what must be the busiest weekend of the year for Charlbury ??

Miles Walkden
👍

Fri 12 Feb 2016, 09:41

I really love having this festival on my doorstep. It's a highlight of the summer for me. While the adding of £25 per ticket is really steep I will buy as always. However, I think that the festival has to keep local people happy and one way to do that is to get people who would not usually go to such an event to put on their wellies and have a look. at £80-£90 I think they may do that, at £115 I think they will not. Locals are the people who generally don't park, don't camp or use many of the facilities. They take up their kids and spend money and come home. Probably the lowest maintenance and highest spend visitors Wilderness gets. So I am not complaining about the cost but suggesting that the point of the local tickets is get people who will never pay £100 to go to a festival up there and build the goodwill needed from the town.

Susie Burnett
👍

Fri 12 Feb 2016, 08:15 (last edited on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 08:22)

Just by way of comparison, children under 12 were admitted free to last year's Big Feastival while teens were roughly half the cost of the associated adult ticket. I don't recall the OX7 discounted price, but do remember it seemed very reasonable. The cost for a younger teen at Wilderness (i.e. up to 16 years old) does seem steep, especially when factoring in that most local families don't actually camp, but obviously end up spending money whilst inside the festival. I do find it a little unfair that a child as young as 11 should be paying almost as much as an adult!

Tim Gosling
👍

Thu 11 Feb 2016, 23:01

Why would you offer to pay in cash? Just curious.

Craig Richardson
👍

Thu 11 Feb 2016, 22:16

Dear Rufus, firstly Wilderness is brilliant and I feel very lucky to have such a great event in our neighbourhood.

I do think there's some kind of weak message though being sent here in relation to younger people's ticket prices, £80 is the cost quoted in the local people discounted price, while the main website shows a price of £80 for 11 - 17 year olds plus approx £8 booking fee. So there's not much difference, in fact it rather reads that Wilderness is removing the discount entirely for 11 - 17 year olds.

It's the middle of the School holidays, the Festival is noted for its diverse and educational activities, as well as giving a chance for younger people to get exposure to a range of artforms. It's actually through reducing the younger people's ticket price that you would find the deepest benefit as well as passing on a bit of help to families who, if they want to attend Wilderness, of course must bring their children.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 11 Feb 2016, 19:03 (last edited on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 19:18)

Hi Rufus, Welcome to the Forum.

I am a local resident, and I do not want or need a car parking space or camping. We will either walk or cycle via North Lodge. What I do want is 6 discounted tickets at the expected price of £100 each. I will pay in cash if you like. Do not hesitate to contect me on stephen.andrews@phonecoop.coop

Rufus Lawrence
👍

Thu 11 Feb 2016, 17:52

Dear Charlbury Residents.

Rufus from Wilderness here. I hope you don't mind me commenting on your local forum, but I would like to make make sure you have all of the information surrounding local tickets:

This year there have been some increases in price for all customers due to unavoidable cost increases including card charges and bookings fees. Some, but not all of these costs also apply to local tickets. We have worked to keep these as low as possible and maintain a cost in the region of £100 as discussed. However, if this was not made clear, and as a gesture of goodwill - we would like to offer one free car parking pass per household purchasing local discounted tickets.

Regarding allocations per household: We have looked at 2015 sales and spoken to a number of local residents specifically regarding this question. We felt there was more interest locally in having more discounted tickets available for more households and increasing the allocation per household would reduce the number of households able to benefit, with more tickets being passed on to those from outside the local OX7 3** area.

I am always available to discuss these points further, it remains a priority of ours to work more closely with local residents and local interests. Please do not hesitate to contact us on info@wildernessfestival.com

All the best

Rufus Lawrence

Alison Wright
👍

Thu 11 Feb 2016, 15:37 (last edited on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 17:52)

The price will be £115. As I recall at the public meeting they said there would be an increase this year, but at the time of the meeting, the price hadn't been set. The adult ticket price online, if you include standard postage is £179. So the saving on the local tickets is in fact £64, you are right, not £70. The adult ticket price online with secure postage is £182.25 so in that case the saving is £67.25. One of the reasons for the price increase is so that the organisers could offer a far greater number of discounted tickets, as so many people were disappointed to miss out last year.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 19:29

It is still a fabulous and entertaining weekend for the price.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 19:27 (last edited on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 19:28)

Does the £115 perhaps include the £15 car parking fee? I don't see how otherwise the information makes sense given that the cost of a ticket for general camping is £175.25 -- i.e. certainly not the £70 discount for local residents that is claimed. Last year, I think, parking cost £10, so there is also a rise in parking costs. And, of course, not all local residents want to park!

Jackie Hague
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 17:17

Re. Wilderness Ticket Prices, in the News Section above it states, "Prices have risen a little to £115 in order to increase the number available, and to allow more people access to the £70 discount on full price adult tickets."

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 15:29

My memory was that they said there would be a £10 increase across the board for discounted & standard price tickets, so last years £90 discounted price increased to £100 this year would be correct.

Charlotte Prew
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 15:24

Vickie I too appreciate that local Charlbury residents receive discounted tickets, however, I agree that they are now expensive. Personally I feel this years increase to be rather steep considering last year they were £90. Especially in light of the organisers' own statement a few weeks ago that local discounted tickets will not be over £100. What is the point in making these statements if they do not intend to follow through with them?

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 15:06

I separately understood from the meeting that they were going to increase the allocation per OX7 3* household. Perhaps that could also be addressed when Alison responds.

Vickie J
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 15:03

It's a big increase from last year's ticket price. I appreciate that we get discounted tickets but they are getting very expensive!

Ruth Brice
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 14:53

That was my understanding at the meeting too, Vickie. It's a shame Wilderness couldn't provide us with the right information...seems slightly pointless having a locals meeting if they can't.

Vickie J
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 14:47

I am sure they said they were going to be £100 at the meeting they held.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 12:27

Alison
I understand that the price will not be that which we were advised previously. Can you please clarify.

Alison Wright
👍

Wed 10 Feb 2016, 09:51 (last edited on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:02)

The Discounted Local Tickets for Wilderness 2016 will now be available from Charlbury Post Office from 16th February, a day earlier than previously advertised! All the details are on the news section of this site and at the Post Office.
Please note: the Discounted Local Tickets are for adults, limited to four per household and require proof of an OX7 3** postcode at point of purchase. Young Person tickets are already discounted, so there is no additional discount and therefore there is no limit per household.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.