Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 21 Feb 2016, 00:04

Am working on it!

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 20 Feb 2016, 21:19

Yes, we definitely need the 'like' button tonight Richard. :)

Paul Butler
👍

Sat 20 Feb 2016, 20:49

Brilliant. At last, something to make me smile on the forum. By the way, where do I go to complain about particularly fast pedestrians spotted in Pooles Lane earlier?

Charlie Peacock
👍

Sat 20 Feb 2016, 19:18

I had a bad experience recently when two young ladies knocked on my door and said they were doing a bread survey. When I informed them that I only ate white bread they proceeded to lecture me for about an hour on the merits of brown bread.
I think they were Hovis Witnesses.

Lucy Mitchell
👍

Mon 15 Feb 2016, 08:59

Thanks for the replies. I agree Chris and Amanda, it is sad that I could not be more trusting, but I've have had quite a few bad experiences after giving money to strangers, and as I was alone at home with my toddler and he did not have an identity card (and it was dark!) I didn't really feel it was right to go any further with the conversation. If we had been called upon in daylight hours then it might have been a different story! There have been many scams of this nature (just google it), so you do have to be careful yet I'm not saying that everyone is scamming, not at all! I was more worried about the elderly community in any case, as I have seen elderly family members taken advantage of in this way, and it's not nice at all.

chris emsden
👍

Thu 11 Feb 2016, 22:34

The boys/young men have knocked at my door a couple of times over the years, selling things from hold-alls, they are polite & show there identity card, there stuff can be a bit expensive, but as Amanda says they are trying to get on after either having a bad start in life, or having made mistakes (haven't we all!), I always buy something, give them a break! I had a young girl/student knock on my door a couple of years ago, she was a beautiful girl but she was deaf, she had her Art portfolio with her, various subjects & they were fantastic! She spotted a couple of my dogs were Springer Spaniels & she had a picture of a Spaniel with its Puppy, pencil/shaded drawing & it was brilliant, I bought it off her for £10 which is what she asked for it, she was over-joyed so maybe she not had a successful day!

Amanda
👍

Thu 11 Feb 2016, 17:56

Isn't it sad how everyone automatically thinks the worse of strangers these days! We have had young men selling house hold items out of their holdalls for years 15 years, most are trying to rebuild their lives after being homeless street children. We have also had deaf people selling art door to door again to assist them in their abilities to learn the skills to get a job and live in a community. We have not been burgled (touch wood). I hope that people just use their common sense and if they don't want to open the door then fine but I don't feel everyone has to panic because someone attempted to sell door to door! Not everyone in this world is a burglar or worse!

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 9 Feb 2016, 10:34

Also a house belonging to an elderly lady on the Playing Close. The local Police have been informed. Advice is, don't open your door or put a chain on the door.

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 21:20 (last edited on Tue 9 Feb 2016, 09:25)

The chap also called here in Ditchley Rd. He said he calls round once a year, and somebody like him has certainly called before.

Pearl Manners
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 21:01 (last edited on Mon 8 Feb 2016, 21:05)

Someone was going round Hughes Close this afternoon about 4.30ish only I didn't get downstairs in time then saw him going next door. I normally just go window in first instance then you can decide how feel.

Lucy Mitchell
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 20:54

Hello, did anyone else have a man knocking on their door tonight, talking about his dyslexia and asking to show some "things"? I was on my own and it was getting quite dark so I didn't want to go into conversation. Just made me feel a little uncomfortable.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.