Could anyone please lend us a satnav for tomorrow Sunday

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Mon 25 Jan 2016, 19:02

Just for the record, I can tell you that I have recently used this app with OSM in Cambodia and Vietnam and they seemed to be remarkably accurate there as well as here.
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the app when you've had a chance to try it out, Kathy. It gives me different directions from the TomTom satnav in our main vehicle, but that may just be that the settings are also different. However, it always gets to the place I want.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 25 Jan 2016, 16:03

Graham - if you look at the map key you'll see that the pink splodges on the Sandford Park footpath mean "private access", so that information is indeed already in there.

russell robson
👍

Mon 25 Jan 2016, 15:45

Oolitic Valley

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Mon 25 Jan 2016, 15:22

I took a quick look at Charlbury in OpenStreetMap and see that what seems to be a public footpath is indicated through Sandford Park. This is incorrect, as the two paths in Sandford Park are private.

Is it possible to find out who added that information?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 25 Jan 2016, 14:30

You may be amused to learn that Charlbury has a pivotal place in the development of the OpenStreetMap project - I wrote the editing software that people used to create the map data for many years, while Artem Pavlenko, who lived here until recently, wrote the software that turns this data into pretty-looking maps. So when you use OSM-based maps, you're using technologies partly developed here in Charlbury, not just far-flung Silicon Valley!

Kathy Broughton
👍

Mon 25 Jan 2016, 14:03

Thanks for the tip, Andrew. I just downloaded the app based on your recommendation.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sat 23 Jan 2016, 20:13

If you have a smart phone running android it is worth installing the totally free satnav application at play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en

I use it a lot and have downloaded the free "open-street-maps" maps which for the UK are great as a guide.

Liz Reason
👍

Sat 23 Jan 2016, 17:42

Wonderful Charlbury! Plea satisfied in less than 5 minutes!!!

Liz Reason
👍

Sat 23 Jan 2016, 17:34

We have to drive my very elderly stepmother from Harrow to East London without one of us to help navigate. We'd really appreciate a voice telling us where to go if it is possible simply to move it to another car. We'll come and collect. Many thanks

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.