Southill hedge cutting

Alan Wilson
👍

Mon 15 Feb 2016, 09:49

Harriet, as one of the volunteers I can assure you that the organisers had indeed carried out a risk assessment and that we were given a health and safety briefing.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Sat 13 Feb 2016, 10:39

Whoever is organising this voluntary hedge planting needs to look at their risk assessment, or perhaps even do one. It's good you have them in high vis,but the tree planting/men at work signs should be either side of the areas the volunteers are working on, not being used as markers for the parking area. It's a fast road, bad weather conditions, if you're going to use volunteers for things make sure you're not endangering their lives.

Johan Pretorius
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 19:13 (last edited on Mon 8 Feb 2016, 19:22)

Why concentrate on solar power when wind power can produce enough juice for the whole of Oxfordshire? Not that I'm against solar power, its great, but its like wanting fish and chips when there is a gourmet meal staring you right in the face. Just a thought.
Why complain about the sight of a solar farm in the first place when in the morning you open your curtains to see your neighbour scratching his balls? I mean there are much worse things to complain about than that. Like people in Citroen Picassos, talk about spoiling the countryside.

Tim crisp
👍

Thu 4 Feb 2016, 16:31

We will be planting out the gaps in the hedgerow on Saturday 13th of February, in conjunction with Cornbury Estate. We are looking for 8-10 volunteers to come and help with this exercise that we are calling 'Wear Your Wellies Day'.
Anyone wishing to join in this community activity in support of Southill Community Energy please contact Guy Parker, our resident ecologist and planting advisor, on 07976 779986 and / or guy@wychwoodbiodiversity.co.uk
Many thanks, Tim

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 3 Feb 2016, 20:10

The planting will be done this week or next.

Alan Wilson
👍

Wed 3 Feb 2016, 17:27

I wonder whether it is worth reminding people that work on new hedge planting needs to take into account that it is an offence against the Wildlife & Countryside Act to disturb nesting birds. Although the Act does not itself define the period that is covered by this, regulations on hedge-cutting assume that 1st March is the relevant start date. (Whatever the arguments about whether or not ground-nesting birds can be expected to be nesting in the field itself, I think it would be prudent to assume that hedgerow-nesting birds will want to use the hedge.)

So the sooner the better for planting new hedging, I think - especially since it needs to be in place before work can begin on the solar farm itself if the conditions of the planning consent are to be met.

Liz Reason
👍

Mon 11 Jan 2016, 13:02

Very witty Charlie! You'll be delighted to hear that the hedge-cutting is the estate preparing for new planting so that those involved in the effort have an easier job. Thank you Cornbury Estate for its active cooperation with Southill Community Energy.

Heather Williams
👍

Mon 11 Jan 2016, 12:52

Hedge cutting is always done this time of year. It is being done on the Charlbury road leading down to the station as well. The hedges then thicken up and are kept tidy, they are usually contracted by the Highways or the farmer., I would much rather see these hedges kept tidy then going straggly and overgrown.

Leah Fowler
👍

Mon 11 Jan 2016, 11:53

Although I am not in favour of the Solar Farm, I think using puns on people's names is the height of rudeness.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Sun 10 Jan 2016, 14:12

visibility through hedging nil in summer months and will thicken up after the winter cutting.

Charlie Peacock
👍

Sun 10 Jan 2016, 11:26

Visibility through the hedging in winter months after leaf drop and thinning by cutting!

Geoff Belcher
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2016, 21:31

When I went pass it had only been cut on the road side leaving the height still there

Charlie Peacock
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2016, 14:41

On my way to Witney on this bright and Crisp morning I noticed the cutting of hedges along the boundary of the proposed Solar Farm. In future, this will surely mean that the solar panels, during winter months, will be clearly visible from the road despite repeated promises that they would be completely masked by the hedges.
What is the Reason for the hedge cutting?
Perhaps someone from the "Solar" team will give us a Clew!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.