Light bulb test bank - can it extend to energy monitoring de

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 22 Jan 2007, 12:41

The power meter is in the light bulb library which can be borrowed for 3 days at a time.
Please contact Louise Spicer to borrow the lightbulb library by phoning 01608-810745.
The library has been organized and funded by the Charlbury Area Waste Action Group in conjunction with Sustainable Charlbury (SusCha).

Kate Smith
👍

Mon 22 Jan 2007, 09:50

the meter sounds useful but the sort of thing you'd only need to use once or twice to check your current set-up - is it available to rent ot or only to buy does any one know?

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍

Sun 21 Jan 2007, 19:42

I suspect real answer is this. The manufactures that make incandescent bulbs are not going to subvert their own revenue streams. So if a Low-energy light bulb lasts 12 times longer, your customers will not comeback as frequently as they do with an incandescent bulb. So why not make is…

Long post - click to read full text

graham W
👍

Sun 21 Jan 2007, 17:52

Can someone please explain WHY all these eco friendly items are so expensive?. I would like to go green on a lot more things but cost prohibits.

Oxford Environment Centre
👍

Sat 20 Jan 2007, 07:31

WE are supplying some equipment to cut down power use on computers and fridges by at least 30% or more. We are also supplying Solar chargers for LapTop. We have some power monitoring equipment also in Sheep Street, which measures appliance draw of power. All good gadgets at affordable prices. Come in and see us. 37A Sheep Street

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 15 Jan 2007, 21:23

Malcolm,
I'm not sure about the reuse of old PCs as firewall or router because I suspect that much smaller low power devices are now available a specially to the home and small business user. This assumption relies on some sort of equation (which still eludes me) between the energy…

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 12 Jan 2007, 20:14

A mini ITX board (I'd forgotten what the VIA chipsets/boards were called) with that sort of ram and disk and consuming only 21 watts - impressive.

But what is its embedded energy cost compared to my idea of utilising older generation laptops with duff screens or keyboards (the usual items…

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 12 Jan 2007, 17:56

Malcolm thank you for the positive feed back. There is already a energy meter in the pack see the bottom of the pdf.

http://www.cwag.org.uk/uploads/File/List%20of%20Low%20Energy%20Lightbulbs.pdf

This server http://www.cwag.org.uk/ is running on a Kubuntu Dapper, mini ITX eden 500Mhz with 512mb of ram, using 21watts of electricity from a Southern Electric green tariff.

Wattage and Current Meter
Particularly useful to see how much electricity is being consumed while an appliance (e.g. a TV) is in
standby mode or by a transformer when the appliance (e.g. a radio) is switched off. The current drawn by a
mobile phone charger is likely to be too low to register but according to O2 only 5% of the energy used by a
charger is actually used to charge phones – the rest is used (i.e. wasted) when the charger is left plugged in.
Plug meter into a socket and plug an appliance into it. Press the Function button to change mode:
Mode 1=Voltage in Volts 240V
Mode 2=Current in Amps Minimum registered is 0.02 A (i.e. 20mA)
Mode 3=Power in Watts Voltage x Current (USEFUL MEASUREMENT)
Mode 4=Operating duration
Mode 5=kWh
Mode 6=Cost
Mode 7=Change electricity price (set to 10p/kWh)
Reset cumulative values by press SET button for 5 seconds

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 11 Jan 2007, 18:22

The light bulb bank is excellent and I will be hotfooting over there soonest.

I'm also wondering if the bank includes any electricity use meterage devices or could be extended to provide such?

I'd like to do an audit of our lekky hit, particularly as we have quite a few…

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.