Computer / Tablet training for beginners

Andy Faulkner
👍

Mon 21 Dec 2015, 19:30

Hi Simon I would welcome your help in learning how to use a iPad

Clare Carswell
👍

Mon 21 Dec 2015, 09:50

I am currently visiting three ladies in their homes and helping them with using their tablets. I have helped them so that they are now happily using email, online calendars, doing online shopping and they are now about to start using Skype and Facetime so that they can chat online with grandchildren. I advise on digital photography, how to use the right settings on your camera to get the best pictures, how to download the pictures once you have taken them and how you can format them for attaching to emails or if you want to print them, what the things are that you need to remember to do to get the best results. I show how to organise and store pictures on an external hard drive or cloud so that you are not clogging up your tablet or camera with them. I explain things clearly and simply and I am happy to visit anyone at home and to give this tuition in small groups or one-to-one. I can supply references.

Meryl Smith
👍

Sun 20 Dec 2015, 10:05

I have just come across the following information which may be relevant: AgeUK Oxfordshire are going to be involved in a new partnership project themed around digital inclusion, called One Digital, funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund. One Digital will be testing different ways to increase the confidence of older people in using computers and other digital technology, supporting people to overcome any fears or concerns that they may have. A key part of the project will be to work with volunteers and organisations to support people along their digital journey. Age UK Oxfordshire will recruit 75 'Digital Champion' volunteers to work throughout the county in a variety of settings to engage with and assist 1000 people over the next year. Digital Champions do not have to be 'techy' people, and we welcome interest from everyone, from amateurs to experts. We provide training and support, and we will operate from one of our many outreach sessions around the county to meet and engage with potential learners. For further details contact Sara Fitzgerald at the AUK Banbury Centre on 01295 278040.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 20 Dec 2015, 08:53

The Library, in conjunction with Age UK, already run volunteer training courses. Please contact the librarian if you want to get involved.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 19 Dec 2015, 12:38 (last edited on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 12:42)

Google have just launched a new free training service which looks interesting The Digital Garage digitalgarage.withgoogle.com/?gclid=CKrCt5j458kCFQkIwwodNFwAWg
Make the most of the web.
Get the digital skills you need to grow your business, your career or just your confidence. We'll set you up with a personal learning plan, completely free.

From what I have seen so far looks like its aimed more at people who want to run a business though than general topics.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 19 Dec 2015, 09:47 (last edited on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 11:53)

Trouble shooting is my problem, when the computer and the tablet won't do as they are told !! And then they go into Computer talk which I can't understand.
I believe they are hoping to do something at the Library.

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Fri 18 Dec 2015, 22:13

Thanks Tony. Will keep you informed.

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Fri 18 Dec 2015, 22:12

I'd be happy to come to people's houses to do it. Several elderly people have asked if I might help them so I feel that there must be others out there.

Leah Fowler
👍

Fri 18 Dec 2015, 22:08

How many older people will want to turn out in the dark cold ( perhaps) evenings of January? I know I don't.Otherwise it is a good idea

Tony H Merry
👍

Fri 18 Dec 2015, 19:03

Hi simon
Something I was also thinking of proposing and I would be very happy to help with this if you find a demand

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Wed 16 Dec 2015, 09:43

Hello everyone,

I've been considering running an evening course early in the New Year to help people who are new to having a computer, tablet etc. I'd like to tailor this specifically for elderly people who maybe have been given such a device for Christmas or are just getting on line. I suspect they are not reading this, so will be posting adverts around the town too if people suggest there is some interest in this. Are there people you know who may be interested?

The sort of thing I think would be good to cover would be

- getting on line for the first time. Selecting an internet provider, getting an email address etc
- sending and receiving pictures to / from family
- internet shopping

Please let me know your thoughts

Simon

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.