Petrol Scammers are back

Mike Williams
👍

Wed 20 Jan 2016, 12:59

The sting is that the story is convincing and takes people in. The worthless goods appear to be a genuine offer in exchange for some petrol money. Because the story is convincing people don't look closely at the goods. That's how scams work!

nigel rosser
👍

Wed 20 Jan 2016, 00:15

I see. Not a very compelling sting then.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Tue 19 Jan 2016, 22:26

They try to get you to give them money for worthless supposedly gold rings.

nigel rosser
👍

Tue 19 Jan 2016, 10:36

what is the actual scam, please?

Trevor Taylor
👍

Mon 18 Jan 2016, 17:18

This has now been reported to the police. If anyone else spots this character it would be helpful if you too could report it to the police and even better if you manage to get a car reg number, model and make - which I failed to do!

Catherine Kimmance
👍

Mon 18 Jan 2016, 16:08

Believe I passed same person flagging cars down in front of us - in the lay-by just before first Leafield turn beyond the station. Charlbury station that is.

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Mon 18 Jan 2016, 15:54 (last edited on Mon 18 Jan 2016, 15:55)

Trevor, if you have not yet done so, I would strongly recommend that you report this incident to the Police by calling 101, even if you do not have all the car details.

Trevor Taylor
👍

Mon 18 Jan 2016, 15:21

It's getting closer. I was stopped by a character who claimed to be Turkish from Istanbul. He said he needed money to buy petrol to get to a hospital in Sheffield. He offered a ring in exchange for money. He was parked in a lay-by just outside Spelsbury on the Chippy Road. His patter rang a bell with this forum entry and so I drove off. His car was white but I'm afraid I failed to get a make, model or registration number. Be warned.

Wesley Smith
👍

Wed 18 Nov 2015, 09:27

At this time we have had no reports in the Chipping Norton area, however if they are as close as Banbury they tend to drift out this way eventually. Should anyone encounter these roadside scammers, do not stop and try to obtain a registration plate number and contact police immediately.

john h
👍

Tue 17 Nov 2015, 22:46

If the reg number is real,or not, then the police should be informed,as Mark suggested. John H

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 17 Nov 2015, 20:56

Mark, if that is a serious comment, then please either drop me a personal message with your concerns or use the Admin board. If not, then please don't try to cause that sort of argument - it's not really how we try and run the forum! There are lots of forums out there where you can debate wider political and religious issues. Thanks.

Mark Sulik
👍

Tue 17 Nov 2015, 19:59 (last edited on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 22:38)

What about the behaviour of Political group postings on the forum.?. With that registration number behind noted, anyone informed the Police who can simply find the registered keeper in less than 30 seconds with a DVLA check.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 17 Nov 2015, 19:20

[I'm not entirely comfortable with attributing behaviour to on a particular ethnic or regional group so have removed one comment and edited another. Thanks for the report of the scam though! --Richard]

Elaine Newbold
👍

Mon 16 Nov 2015, 22:18

Beware scam operating around the area - people stopping cars asking for money for petrol to get home, dark blue or black vehicle KF03 NZB
They offer rings in exchange and have given a business card too. seen in the Banbury and Tysoe area's

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.