Warning! Shards of glass in baby/toddler area of 9-acres pla

Geoff Belcher
👍

Tue 26 Dec 2006, 10:58

I think you should look at the original title of this theme.
Meg was concerned about warnining other parents about the shards of glass which could cause serious injury to todlers, she was not asking for new ideas or new equipment. It will not matter what you put up there climbing frames or an East Cowley Wall, the problem will still be there ie: the underage drinkers who insist on leaving ther rubbish botles etc and who smash them on the kids play stuff.
strange most of these were using all this equipment not that long ago
if you know who they are get them involved in any new build in this area. Thanks Meg for bringing this to the attention of responsible parents.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sat 23 Dec 2006, 22:54

The Cowley Road playground in East Oxford has an excellent climbing wall that is in constant use by children of varied ages every time I pass it.

I wonder how you could get one for Charlbury?

derek
👍

Fri 22 Dec 2006, 11:55

MB.
I took no offence at your USA comment, i just didn't have the answer for you.
I must say though the USA fellows were a great laugh and very patient with us un/semi-skilled workers.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 21 Dec 2006, 13:38

Oh, heavens Derek - don't get me wrong about the reason for the USA import - it wasn't a comment aimed at Finstockians!! Not at all!! Sorry to give the wrong impression!

It was aimed at the broader question of why British industry and providers of play equipment couldn't "compete"…

Long post - click to read full text

derek
👍

Thu 21 Dec 2006, 09:56

MB. You may know or picked up from posting thta i am in fact a resident of finstock, please don't tar and feather me though!!!

There was a very good reason that they used a USA company, the reason escapes me byt i'm sure a quick e-mail to Mick Peck (see link) would answer your question.
I must say though that lots of people from outside the village use the playground and in my opinion they are more than welcome to as WODC gave money to the project in a way residents of charlbury have paid there bit.
it's interesting to see what WODC have granted money to though http://www.westoxon.gov.uk/living/outdoorgrant.cfm
i also understand that chadlington has been given £9500 towards the £19500needed to redelop thier play facilties, on top of the £1800 for they had for a new roundabout (do they really cost that??)

So why should charlbury not have the same.

p.s I built the baby swings, and am very proud of them even if i do say so myself!!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 20 Dec 2006, 18:00

Not bad and gives a flavour, and well worth dropping in on en route back from Witney with the kids, for example.

The whole thing was a community led initiative that went up over a few days with a lot of people pitching in to help with the construction. Its…

Long post - click to read full text

derek
👍

Wed 20 Dec 2006, 11:22

not the same as seeing it in the 'flesh' but

http://www.finstock.org.uk/Playground/Playhome.htm

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 19 Dec 2006, 23:13

Have you seen what they've done at Finstock? Well worth the visit, and an inspiration.

Megan Bell
👍

Tue 19 Dec 2006, 08:48

I think it's quite well cared for and a wonderful facility to have. I was so concerned though because it was glass which was lying around and, more to the point, in the baby area where it could do most harm. Anyone picking up litter would be unlikely to notice such pieces as they were so small. I removed what I could but some bits were stuck. Just hope bottles don't get broken there again!

Natasha Merriman
👍

Mon 18 Dec 2006, 16:22

It's not true to say that this area is uncared for, I know of at least one person who gives time to litter collecting there every week. However, he does it on a voluntary basis, it would be great to see a few other people doing the same thing. Maybe the people who use the facility could get together, each person could do it once a month. It's always easy to get frustrated because no-one does something without considering that perhaps WE could do the thing that frustrates us.

Alex Westbury
👍

Sat 16 Dec 2006, 23:13

I have only taken my children down to the play area at nine acres once and I will not take them down again. It is so un-cared for and there was all sorts of rubbish lying around (no glass on the occasion I was there). It is such a shame to have a potentially great facility for our children to play on but because it is misused by others it is dangerous.

Megan Bell
👍

Fri 15 Dec 2006, 16:49

To any parents of crawling babies, watch out when they go on the baby hut/slide at nine acres as we found bits of glass all over it today! I removed all the pieces I could see and get at but some were stuck in crevices, a real hazard for tiny hands & knees. Also, if anyone sees teenagers/whoever hanging out with bottles in this area, please ask them to move on or at least not break their bottles there, it's SO dangerous! Thanks.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.