Steam Trains Through Charlbury

William Crossley
👍

Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:01 (last edited on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:04)

Nancy, no sign of video from Charlbury yet but there are some on YouTube showing the train in Worcestershire, passing through Kingham station and at Oxford and near Hanborough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYjwgqZXzeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhsnF-Yy_cM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJZJjKBgaiw

Nancy Whitfield
👍

Sun 22 Nov 2015, 11:24

Thanks to William Crossley and Brian Murray for posting details of the 1930's steam train yesterday. We were lucky as the 12.42 coming up the single track line meant that the steam train halted for about 10 minutes at Charlbury station! So everyone had lots of photo opportunities, even though it stopped a long way down from the Charlbury platform. Does anyone know who was standing with a tripod filming it, and can we watch it? It was named Tilly's Birthday Express, the granddaughter of the MD of Vintage Trains, from Birmingham to Oxford, with an excursion to the Christmas Fair at Blenheim Palace, if you got off at Long Hanborough station.

chris emsden
👍

Thu 19 Nov 2015, 16:05

Thank you for that info, I will take my 10 year old son down to see it (obviously using that as an excuse to go back down memory lane to my own childhood!) The night time would also be worth going to see, be a lovely site to see it pass through with all its lights on in the Carriages, & to see the Driver & Stoker lit up in the cab! I bet I'm not the only 1 on here that at some time dreamed of being a Engine Driver!

William Crossley
👍

Thu 19 Nov 2015, 00:24

Saturday's steam train is booked to pass Charlbury at 12.44, travelling towards Oxford. The locomotive planned to haul the train is GWR No 4965 Rood Ashton Hall. There are quite a few extra minutes built into the timing along the Cotswold Line in case of delays earlier in the journey, so it could well arrive a bit earlier than that - and may have to wait at the station anyway for a train towards Worcester to clear the single track section from Oxford.

The excursion will also be running on the Cotswold Line on the return journey from Oxford to Birmingham but this will be in the dark, passing Charlbury at 18.02.

Full timings are here www.uksteam.info/tours/t15/t1121c.htm

Note that the second steam train I mentioned previously, that was planned to run to Worcester on Saturday November 28, has been cancelled.

William Crossley
👍

Sun 11 Oct 2015, 13:43

Next dates for steam trains on the Cotswold Line are Saturday, November 21, the Oxfordshire Explorer tour from Birmingham to Oxford and Saturday, November 28, the Worcester Christmas Market tour from London to Worcester.

Timings should appear at www.uksteam.info/tours/trs15.htm nearer the time - scroll down the list of trains to November - and will also be at www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced - put in Charlbury or CBY as the location and select the date and a time slot from the What Time? dropdown menu

Molly Watson
👍

Mon 5 Oct 2015, 09:33

Thanks very much for this info! Train mad toddler loved it and immediately demanded 'more'!

John Munro
👍

Sat 26 Sep 2015, 10:06

Rats - it was 6 minutes early!

Rod Evans
👍

Wed 23 Sep 2015, 11:37

I won't mind too much if it doesn't stop - the sight and sound last year of a train with a 'Mallard' style loco clattering through at high speed was (as my daughter might say) literally awesome! So thanks for the timetable Steven.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Wed 23 Sep 2015, 09:00

The full timetable for tomorrow's train is here: www.uksteam.info/tours/t15/t0924a.htm

Presumably the stations where it doesn't stop are just mentioned for reference - there's no chance it will even pause at Charlbury? I just wondered, as it lists Charlbury but not e.g. Kingham or Hanborough.

Brian Murray
👍

Wed 23 Sep 2015, 08:08

Thanks for Saturday's time, Naomi. Tomorrow, Thursday sees a steam train pass through Charlbury at 12.08 with an excursion from London to Worcester.

Naomi Berger
👍

Tue 22 Sep 2015, 09:24

According to the timetable it looks like a steam train is passing through charlbury at 10.10am on Saturday.

Brian Murray
👍

Mon 21 Sep 2015, 23:17

To the young mum and the train-mad toddler who I met on Pooles Lane - there should be a steam hauled train running through Charlbury on three occasions over the next few days; Thursday 24th, Saturday 26th and Saturday 3rd October. I don't have details of times but perhaps someone will be kind enough to keep us informed please.

Brian Murray

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.