Punctured tyres...

Andy Godfrey
👍

Wed 16 Sep 2015, 06:15

Wesley, it happened a few months ago & it was reported on 101. I spoke to one of your colleagues at the time who encouraged me to do so.

Paul Butler
👍

Tue 15 Sep 2015, 18:56

I think people in Park Street, Market Street and Church Street will have known about damage taking place for several years. I lived in Park Street for 6 years and we had 2 aerials bent and removed, 2 tyres punctured using slithers of carefully cut Stanley knife blades, windscreen wipers pulled off and a mirror removed. We reported most to the police and I would urge townsfolk to do the same, that way a pattern may become apparent and the perpetrator (my view it was the same person between 11pm and 6am. This dangerous damage not only causes lots of inconvenience but is very expensive.

Rod Evans
👍

Tue 15 Sep 2015, 18:03 (last edited on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 18:04)

A 'dart puncture' was just how the tyre supplier described those on my sister's car (see below). It ended up costing her £190 - a not insignificant sum for someone on a limited pension - and less than the excess on her insurance policy so she can't claim it.

If there were incidents around the town over the weekend, that suggests to me more the 'bored teenager' syndrome than someone with a grudge about commuter parking, incomers etc - particularly as it was the weekend. I'm not sure where that gets us but I for one would be loath to see a place like Charlbury festooned with CCTV cameras just to catch ----(fill in the blanks as you choose).

It's possible whoever is/was responsible will hear of these posts and look at them. If he (unlikely to be a she - but not impossible!) or they do read them, please just stop and think about how you would react if it was your mother's or grandmother's car that was trashed - and her safety put at risk.

Wesley Smith
👍

Tue 15 Sep 2015, 14:31 (last edited on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 16:17)

Hello MR Godfey, could you please contact me on 101 and ask our operator to put you through to PCSO Wesley Smith shoulder number c9837 at Chipping Norton. Thank you.

Andy Godfrey
👍

Tue 15 Sep 2015, 06:18

It's not only the Market Street/Dyers Hill area that have been targeted. There were incidents on the Slade at the weekend, & a flat tyre on my car was the result of what looked like a dart puncture. The car was parked outside my house on Nine Acres Lane.

Mark Sulik
👍

Mon 14 Sep 2015, 10:50

would the introduction of CCTV in one location just move the problem to another ?

i notice a white van with a camera in it regularly parked on The Slade extracting money from drivers and increasing their insurance premium , maybe they are able to use such technology to stop this criminal activity ?

Susan Way
👍

Mon 14 Sep 2015, 10:23

I'm glad to see that the police are taking this seriously as there have been so many attacks on cars over the years. I think it is someone with a long standing grudge against those they perceive as commuters and Charlbury residents who don't live on Market Street and who have the audacity to park there (joke). I don't know what needs to be done to introduce CCTV on Market Street to catch or deter the culprit but I would now support it - would other residents?

Rod Evans
👍

Sun 13 Sep 2015, 22:48 (last edited on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 09:51)

It's not only Porsches being damaged (see news item). My sister parked her elderly and decidedly non-flashy car (not even sure what it is!) on Dyers Hill today while visiting for lunch. Sometime in late afternoon the sides of her 2 nearside tyres were punctured in about the same place by something obviously sharp and thin.

I've also had a couple of punctures recently. I can't be sure how they happened but one resulted in a shredded tyre on the Oxford bypass - not fun. My sister will report hers to the Bill but more for insurance reasons than in expectation of catching the person (was going to use a rude word there...) responsible. Who I doubt very much will read the forum, but just in case - my sister is in her 60s, could very easily have tried to drive away and had an accident. Whatever gripe you have with the world, please try and get your head around that before you cause damage to a person not just an object.

And suggest everyone else have a quick check before getting in your car. So tedious...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.