Dame Vivienne Westwood drives tank to David Cameron's house

James Styring
👍

Wed 7 Oct 2015, 18:17

Richard - we really need a like button on this forum!

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 20 Sep 2015, 10:01

I think more to the point, a reading of Jeremy Leggett's The Winning of the Carbon War tells you just how much money is being lost by fracking companies in the States with the Saudi ability to keep oil prices low apparently infinite.

Charlie M
👍

Sat 19 Sep 2015, 08:43

I apologise, Hamish; I should have been more specific and said "Ulstermen"!

Hamish Nichol
👍

Fri 18 Sep 2015, 13:33

Just to keep things factually accurate:
"Under the common law of England and Wales, all mines and minerals which lie beneath the soil of the land owned by the landowner belongs absolutely to the landowner. There are a few exceptions to this rule I.e. coal ( by which S.9 Coal Industry Act 1994 vests in the coal Authority). All the rights in petroleum including mineral oil and natural gas found beneath or on a landowners property are property of the crown under S.2 Petroleum Act 1998. The Crown is also entitled to all gold and silver found in gold and silver mines on or beneath anyone's property."
Source: www.inbrief.co.uk/land-law/land-ownership.htm

I'm sure 1998 was during the Blair era?? And it would only apply to Irishmen if they're living in Great Britain! :-)

Charlie M
👍

Fri 18 Sep 2015, 13:14

As far as I was aware, until recently an Englishman's home was his castle (also applies to Irishmen, Welshmen and Scotsmen!). But then the vile Cameron and his cronies took away that fundamental right, allowing the fracking vandals to burrow under our land at will, should they so wish. If Vivienne Westwood wants to demonstrate against this fundamental violation and removal of a basic right, then good luck to her!

nigel rosser
👍

Thu 17 Sep 2015, 15:45

Fracking has had quite a bad press.

Tony Morgan
👍

Thu 17 Sep 2015, 13:15

Not if you think we need fracking to stop the lights going out

Liz Reason
👍

Thu 17 Sep 2015, 11:44 (last edited on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 13:04)

Imagine what you are trying to achieve - publicity - and a picture is even better. So actually quite sensible and effective.

nigel rosser
👍

Wed 16 Sep 2015, 11:16

Bit silly though.

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 16 Sep 2015, 08:20

Heaven forfend that anyone should be inconvenienced by someone using a stunt to draw David Cameron's attention to the need to take action on climate change. Driving a tank on to his lawn - very good!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:46

I'd blame it on the autocorrect. Although I suppose that's the work of (software) engineers...

David Court
👍

Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:33

Sadly engineers aren,t always that good at spelling but it is nice to be a first!!

Andrew Chapman
👍

Sun 13 Sep 2015, 09:15 (last edited on Sun 13 Sep 2015, 09:16)

Duncan Forbes
👍

Sun 13 Sep 2015, 09:12

Westwood's protest is about fossil fuels. The Government accepts the overwhelming scientific consensus that fossil fuel extraction must be drastically reduced if catastrophic climate change is to be averted. At the same time Government action has been to phase out subsidies for wind energy and assistance for the solar power industry, whilst going all out for fracking. Something puzzling here.

James Styring
👍

Sun 13 Sep 2015, 00:03

Richard - we really need a like button on this forum!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sat 12 Sep 2015, 22:28

Splendid. I think that's the first instance of Muprhy's Law we've had on this forum.

David Court
👍

Sat 12 Sep 2015, 21:16

As a retired engineer who has been involved in works using techniques similar to tracking I would be amazed if Vivienne Westwood even knows how to spell the word let alone understands the massive benefits tracking could provide the UK

Mark Sulik
👍

Sat 12 Sep 2015, 18:23

So........ Where is the closest Fracking site to Charlbury ?.
I would only be outraged if the cost of obtaining a tank ( a minimum of £2000.00 just to hire it ) and the following entourage was being funded by the Green Party from spurious donations. It would have made a great Video to post on the website.

Miles Walkden
👍

Sat 12 Sep 2015, 17:16

I love that a huge issue like Fracking is raised and 'new potential potholes' is the topic of outraged Charlbarians... Charlburyites... Charlbrar... the people of Charlbury.

James Styring
👍

Sat 12 Sep 2015, 10:25

Mark you kind of ran out of words there. Good effort though!! Apparently tanks on roads use rubber tracks not metal ones. But Westwood and her chums raised some very good points - whether here it in Westminster, who cares? Less disruptive in Dean I guess - and what a thrill for us all.

Mark Sulik
👍

Sat 12 Sep 2015, 10:07

Tank, with metal tracks on minor roads not constructed for this purpose, go on make some more pot holes for us locals to mash our wheels into when the winter comes !

No road inspection taken place by me, too busy . Maybe some of our council tax will be spent sending an engineer out
Do tanks have to pay road tax ?

I am sure the Police and security people that follow our P M were on overtime , when a crazy old woman wants to be in the news , to sell more of her overpriced designs. Don't see many people in Charlbury wearing Westwood creations

Had to follow the thing and the traffic back up .

Tim crisp
👍

Sat 12 Sep 2015, 09:52

Exactly what chaos was caused and how much damage to the roads was done? And if you are really concerned about pollution to the air then I suggest you should be more sensitive to the efforts of the anti-fracking organisations who very clearly have this at the top of their agenda.

graham W
👍

Sat 12 Sep 2015, 09:38

Agree with you Mark.

Mark Sulik
👍

Sat 12 Sep 2015, 09:28

Chaos for local people, damage to our roads, pollution to our clean air and how much did this all cost ?

Who paid for this , or will it be from her off shore account , or set against her company as a business expense.

Where does she live , a protest in London would have had more impact

James Styring
👍

Fri 11 Sep 2015, 23:07 (last edited on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 23:11)

There are some great photos here.
gu.com/p/4cb5v

James Styring
👍

Fri 11 Sep 2015, 16:10

Watch out for this if you're in the Enstone/Dean area! Hilarious.
www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/13714774.Dame_Vivienne_Westwood_drives_tank_to_David_Cameron_s_house_to_protest_over_fracking/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.