Dead animal on Park Street

Helen Chapman
👍

Wed 9 Sep 2015, 14:17

Sometimes I wish you could "like" posts on this forum...

Kerri Steer
👍

Sun 6 Sep 2015, 07:53

I met the lady who put the m&s bag over it's head her words were 'I didn't want anyone to recognise him!'

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 27 Aug 2015, 18:54

Anyway the badger eventually disappeared - a man from the council came round on Monday but couldn't find it. It was presumably removed by some public spirited person who saw it at bagged up the end of the Cornbury drive. Thanks to whoever that was. And in case anyone thinks that council money was wasted on a special trip to pick up the badger, the man concerned did have other jobs to do here that day.

russell robson
👍

Thu 27 Aug 2015, 15:24 (last edited on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 04:07)

I think you are conflating two different issues there Liz. There is little health implication or environmental impact of a dead badger on the "wrong" side of the road. Bagging and leaving it at the top of Cornbury drive meant every curious person investigated it.

By the way there should be no need for dog bins either. Just pick it up and take it home. As for refuse collections........

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 24 Aug 2015, 08:46 (last edited on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 08:49)

There is a difference between finding dead animals and birds way out in the countryside and an animal a few steps away from the nursery school. The council comes to clean out the dog bins - collecting a dead badger is probably quite pleasant compared with that. But then perhaps we shouldn't be wasting resources on emptying dog bins or collecting people's rubbish.......

russell robson
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 23:01

That'll be a mamouth, they've killed off all the wooly rhinos.I haven't seen one around here for years.

Katrina Ross
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 22:34

If it hadn't had a carrier bag over its head in the first place then maybe it wouldn't have been hit by a car!
There is something dead and very decaying in the trees at kings wood (just before callow farm turning) as there is a very strong smell of rotten animal there, I think WODC may need need more than a carrier bag for that one!

russell robson
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 21:48

If we want the council to collect dead wild animals from our roads what do we expect them to do when they haven't got funds for other services. Its a badger, hardly an elephant or small whale (though I believe they have better road sense). Surely, we can allow a little biodegradation in Charlbury. If not my cycle ride around west Oxfordshire revealed 5 rotting deer carcasses, 6 badgers, a crow a magpie, numerous rabbits and quite a few former things now squashed out of recognisable shape. If Liz, you feel this is best use of local authority resources, I can map these for you.

Katrina Ross
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 18:40

It appears someone has kindly moved the badger into a bag and left it at the top of Cornbury drive!
Stinking and covered in flies, so when the council come to collect it they won't be able to find it!!

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 18:03

PS thank you Liz for reporting it.

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 18:02

I'm glad it wasn't a dog. And yes we've seen hedgehogs recently around the Pooles Lane area.

russell robson
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 14:08 (last edited on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 20:23)

Seen three hedgehogs in the last month in Charlbury and reports of many others from local residents

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 11:17

Well Peter, possibly because in a short space of time it will become a fly-infested, stinking lump of rotting flesh, quite capable of stinking out Park Street and more!

Peter Bridgman
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 10:35

Why all this fuss over a badger? It is my opinion that the big increase in badgers is the reason that hedgehogs have disappeared. I( have not seen a squashed hedgehog on the road for years now, but it is common to see dead badgers by the road side. I counted five in a recent 50 mile journey!

Liz Leffman
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 08:53 (last edited on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 08:59)

Have found it - it is a badger. I will report it to WODC - they are responsible for removing it. Has anyone reported it to the Badger Trust?

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 08:31

If it is a badger then it should be reported www.badgertrust.org.uk/threats/report-a-dead-badger.aspx

sharon
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 07:53

I think if you ring the council they will come out and remove it.

Edward Fenton
👍

Thu 20 Aug 2015, 21:56

Hello Helen - I saw it earlier, sadly, and was sorry to see that it was a badger. Another resident commented on it as she came down Park Street in the opposite direction. She said that sometimes she takes it on herself to bury dead animals, but that she wouldn't feel able to do so on this occasion, because of the size of the animal. I suggested ringing the council, but am not sure about the procedure. So it's certainly not someone's dog - but it is an animal that will need some attention.

Helen Chapman
👍

Thu 20 Aug 2015, 21:24

I noticed a dead animal, with its head in a plastic bag, on Park Street a little up the hill from the Preschool (towards the Cornbury entrance) at about 1.15 today. It looked a bit like it might have been a dog, but it was hard to tell with the bag being there. I wonder if someone ran it over and moved it...

I hope it's not someone's dog but thought I would post here just in case.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.