O2 network down?

Trevor Taylor
👍

Mon 3 Aug 2015, 17:01

BBC now carrying an update on O2 service.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/oxford

Trevor.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Mon 3 Aug 2015, 13:56 (last edited on Mon 3 Aug 2015, 16:02)

I am a PAYG customer and emailed O2 complaints and last week they concluded that this level of service was within their Terms and Conditions, but as a goodwill gesture they said that they would extend my free text allowance and data access for a further 30 days, as it was about to run out. I said that this was not good enough, and they have today credited my account with my typical PAYG payment, so it is equivalent to a month's rental credit.

Trevor Taylor
👍

Mon 3 Aug 2015, 12:41

O2 offer rebates - at last.

I have had a long talk with O2 and they have agreed to offer Charlbury customers a month free because of the ongoing work and loss of service. If the service takes longer than a month to sort out then customers will be compensated accordingly.

They accept the Charlbury mast is not working correctly and that many people are not receiving the service they are paying for. Unlike Vodafone they will not confirm when work is due to start nor will they say when it's due to be completed. They are offering to release customers from their contract early if the service does not improve. Currently there is limited 2G service - 3G and 4G services are either non-existent or poor, say O2. It appears only those customers very close to the mast are getting any service.

Refunds are not automatic, you need to claim them.

Contact O2 complaints on complaintreviewservice@o2.com to claim your line rental refund.

Good luck with the claims and if you have any problems let me now as I am collating experiences to update the BBC.

Trevor.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 1 Aug 2015, 12:03

Apparently according to Vodafone the work will start on 1 September but they could not tell me how long this would last.

Katie Ewer
👍

Sat 1 Aug 2015, 11:20

Just spoken to 02 who say there are still faults on the mast and so service will be reduced until engineers can get there to resolve them. They have offered to reduce my bill accordingly once service is restored. Unfortunately, they couldn't say when the engineers might get there. We are in Fawler and currently have no service at all.

Gary Walker.
👍

Fri 31 Jul 2015, 18:54

I've been a Vodafone customer for about 18/19 years, I complained about the recent outage, and they offered me a goodwill payment of £35. I already get a 25% discount due to lack of 4G coverage, so my bill is about £24.

So that's almost 6 weeks credit to my account!!

ps - I actually live in Chippy too!

rosemary galli
👍

Thu 30 Jul 2015, 17:20

Hi, haven't yet tried my phone as yet but I have signals. O2 phoned me today and gave me £10 compensation.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 29 Jul 2015, 10:28

I have been compensated £10. by Vodafone.

Trevor Taylor
👍

Wed 29 Jul 2015, 09:32

Harriet,

It appears that where there is a strong signal the service has improved with faster speeds. However, if you are in a poor reception area then it is now worse than before the 'upgrade'. We too live in an area with poor reception and we can no longer make voice calls and even text messages take ages to get through. I think there needs to be a combined approach to O2 and possibly Vodafone. Isolated complaints will not have much effect but if we all band together and make representations as a group we stand a better chance of getting reception improved.

There are two issues: poor reception in some areas and compensation. Vodafone require individuals to claim compensation. I understand they offer a pro rata rebate plus 50% based on the number of days without service. So far O2 has declined to offer compensation. I think with a concerted effort we will be able to get them to change that policy...otherwise there will be a substantial migration from O2 to Vodafone.

I am happy to represent Charlbury mobile phone users to the mobile operators and would like to hear from those still with a poor or unusable service.

Trevor.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Wed 29 Jul 2015, 09:09

The reception on mine is worse than before the mast upgrade right where it's needed most (in the event of a power cut it will be used to call emergency help). Am I right that since the phone is registered there the provider has a responsibility to sort the problem or refund the contract? Everywhere else in Charlbury it's much better though.

Jenny Chambers
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 15:44

Vodaphone signal seems to be ok now too.

mark s
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 14:54

Properly back up and running now... Charlbury now has a decent phone signal and 4g network..!! Well worth the wait.!

Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 12:30

It's been up for me for the last hour or so, I'm on Tesco Mobile on the o2 network, I get 3G with an H, which means enhanced 3G while in Charlbury town. Enhanced 3G should be about 5-10 times faster than 3G. My phone is 4G compatible but I don't have a 4G subscription so can't test 4G at the moment.

Trevor Taylor
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 11:37

O2 Update.

The BBC has just told me that O2 has told them the Charlbury service is expected to be restored by 1800 this evening (Tuesday).

You can track events and O2's comments on BBC News Online. www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/oxford

It appears O2 is resisting any compensation payments while Vodafone make it a policy. I plan to challenge this stance.

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 10:39

10.38.No Vodafone reception here.

Neil V.
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 09:49

I had 3G about 30 mins ago (Vodafone) but now GSM. I'd guess there'll be a period of testing and general flakiness until the work is complete.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 09:23

Just able to make call on my phone (Vodafone) But no 3G

PJ Honey
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 09:10 (last edited on Tue 28 Jul 2015, 10:55)

My Vodafone signal is back in the town centre too. 3G instead of gprs to boot.

Update - Spoke too soon, it went again shortly afterwards. Although it does look to me like they're doing final tweeks to it.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 08:39 (last edited on Tue 28 Jul 2015, 08:49)

My O2 signal just kicked in 5 minutes ago. The first message in was news of my best friend's first baby (maybe O2 rigged it that way to distract me from making a compensation claim)

My office phone (on Vodafone) is still without signal though.

Oops, just as I'm typing, the O2 signal has gone again. Must still be some work to do on it.

I notice BBC Oxford's van is in the Spendlove car park interviewing someone, presumably about phone signals.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 21:32 (last edited on Mon 27 Jul 2015, 22:05)

As co-organisers we reckon it is the 25th anniversary of the Charlbury Street Fair Fun Run this year - 10am on Sunday 20th September. You are all welcome to attend with suitable emboldened tee-shirts...and apart from donating any hard-earned compensation, please encourage O2, Vodafone and Tesco to donate and/or sponsor the event.

Trevor Taylor
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 21:04

Coverage on BBC 1, Oxford News this evening.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b063cf4p/bbc-oxford-news-27072015 spool through to 8' 20"

BBC Radio Oxford plan to be in Charlbury tomorrow morning around 7am for an update.

Trevor .

PJ Honey
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 19:21

And still no Vodafone signal either.

Ian Lewis
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 18:57

Still no signal from O2 tonight.

mark s
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 17:08

all is good once again.

Liz Reason
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 15:54

Steve found in on BBC news as well (local I assume)

justine crook
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 13:13

I got in touch with O2 last night about the outage, and was given £5 credit on my mobile bill for the month.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 12:36

Oxford Mail article: www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/13501531.Charlbury_residents_could_see_end_to_mobile_phone_nightmare/

Mark Sulik
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 12:21

As i drove to various places out of charlbury to get coverage.....over the week end i did not notice any activity on Saturday , Or Sunday of any work being undertaken at the Fire Station, where i assume is the location of the works ???

may be , if they were trying to resolve the issues, they actually get someone on site to do the work. in a service industry , people do have to work week ends !!!!

Mark Sulik
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 12:17

I have had confirmation from Vodafone.......the leading Mobile Phone network ?, that " it is expected to be back to normal by 6 pm on Tuesday 28th July.

Why did they not provide a Temporary mast , like they do at sporting events ?

Article in the Oxford Mail ??? maybe they will cough up some community support money if the PR people get involved -

Jackie Hague
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:23

This news item has been posted on the BBC Oxford website:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-33672478

Thank you to Trevor for contacting the BBC; maybe we'll get some action/answers now.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:06

I'm also with Tesco Mobile:
hans: I have not been able to make calls for a week, the network is down. Postcode OX7 3LR
Akash: I am extremely sorry to know about this.
Akash: Our Network modernisation programme to improve 2G and 3G coverage and roll out 4G has reached this area. It does mean that you may experience intermittent service on your mobile device while our engineers 'do their thing'.
Akash: We're sorry about that, but we'll do our best to minimise any impact to your signal.
Akash: Please don't worry. We are working on this on high priority basis. I'll now forward your post code to our dedicated team who will take care of this and will sort this out on priority basis for you.
Akash: I am sorry Hans. I know we will not be able to compensate you for the loss of your important time. However, I assure you that we will surely compensate you for the number of days you are unable to use the services.
Akash: You can keep this chat as a confirmation for this. You have my words. I personally don't want our customers to be paying for something that they have not even used.

Akash: Is there anything else I can do for you?
hans: Is it possible to say when service will be restored?
Akash: I am sorry, We won't be able to comment on this. However, I assure you that it will be resolved for you on high priority basis. You will be notified via text once the services will be restored.

Jennie Grierson
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 09:32

I'm with Tesco Mobile and received this reply on their live chat..."A mast close to your location is experiencing a high level of demand for service. This can cause intermittent service for calls, texts and data. We're working to improve it as quickly as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience. Our engineers are working as quickly as they can to fix them and the signals would be up soon but we can not comment on exact time. Please contact us again once the signals are back and we'll refund you for the time you are not being able to use the services."

sarah routley
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 09:07

Virgin and EE still going strong..although I have to admit to enjoying the peace as no one is texting me!!

Jenny Chambers
👍

Mon 27 Jul 2015, 07:59

TalkMobile, which uses the Vodaphone network, will also give an appropriate refund for lack of service. But each customer will have to ask for it. And it's probably worth pushing them on what is 'appropriate'!
Have to say, I've enjoyed the peace and quiet! It's felt somewhat akin to the lovely peace and quiet in the skies during the volcanic ash cloud a couple of years ago!

Andrew Chapman
👍

Sun 26 Jul 2015, 19:35

Giffgaff (which uses the O2 infrastructure) has promised compensation (after I asked) in line with the number of days without service.

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 26 Jul 2015, 19:31

Ha ha. Only because Steve got a message telling it was all functioning properly at 13.00! You couldn't make it up.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Sun 26 Jul 2015, 13:52

Just got a very helpful email from o2:
"Hi

We're sorry; our engineers are still working to fix the network issue you contacted us about.

Thanks

O2

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 26 Jul 2015, 13:31 (last edited on Tue 28 Jul 2015, 06:54)

Mark on the vodafone web site for 'planned maintenance' it says Mon 27 @ 8am start and TUESDAY at 6 for completion.
Which has just been confirmed on 'live chat' on line so we shall all see if that is going to be the case. Yes John I do still use my house phone particularly for 08 numbers.

mark s
👍

Sun 26 Jul 2015, 11:54

27th seems a good bet, just asked Vodafone and their confident this will be the date and got another £5 off ... Gift that keeps on giving..

mark s
👍

Sun 26 Jul 2015, 09:59

John h, you beat me to it with your last comment, I was just strolling through Cornbury mumbling to myself about having no phone signal and actually realising it's not all that bad, I quite like the idea of not being pestered, but then thought I could always dig out the old phone from under the stairs and just use a land line... Win Win, money from Vodafone and a device I can call folks on..

john h
👍

Sat 25 Jul 2015, 18:24

Thank God for the good old land line,thats if anyone but me still use one!!

George Ogier
👍

Sat 25 Jul 2015, 18:08

Vodafone say work was completed at 6pm last night but also that more work will commence on Monday morning until Tuesday evening.

George Ogier
👍

Sat 25 Jul 2015, 18:00

Vodafone appear to be oblivious to the fact that anything is even happening any more. I just get told to check the website coverage page and that says it's all fine when clearly it isn't. I was initially told this would be fixed 24 hours ago.

Trevor Taylor
👍

Sat 25 Jul 2015, 15:50

It's getting beyond a joke. Having just left the area my wife received a text from O2 saying the Charlbury service is "now working fine." Oh no it's not - it's still non-existent. There's strength in numbers and so may I encourage as many people as possible to make a formal complaint to O2. Here's the email address: complaintreviewservice@o2.com

In the meantime I am contacting local media to expose the appalling indifference shown by O2 (and probably Vodafone) to their customers.

Ian Lewis
👍

Sat 25 Jul 2015, 12:59

Yesterday evening (friday) received a text from O2 (when I went out of Chralbury or I wouldn't have received it!) warning of upcoming upgrade work over the next few days and that service might be intermittent ....just like the last 5 days then.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Sat 25 Jul 2015, 11:51

6pm on Tuesday is certainly what O2 told me a few days ago.

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 21:03 (last edited on Fri 24 Jul 2015, 21:09)

So it could possibly be Tuesday at 6pm then if what I have read is correct in the Vodafone web site.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 20:56

On a chat with vodafone
I have checked details and can see that we have extended maintenance time to 27th July 2015 with request number CRQ000000310640 -

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 20:36 (last edited on Fri 24 Jul 2015, 20:42)

In vodafone website for our area it says 'Work Completed' Mon 20 July - 6pm 24 July.
In 'Planned Maintenance' it says 8am 27 July until 6pm 28 July .

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 20:02

Very disappointing on the up side decided to visit chippy to get a signal as the Mill Cafe are now open later in the evening and looked at the new Co-Op must say looks very good very impressed with the new look as not visited in ages !

Liz Reason
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 19:36

So I reckon that we could indeed be waiting until Monday. Unbelievable.

PJ Honey
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 18:43

Well, it's past 6pm and still no Vodafone service.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 16:36

I was told that most mobile phone companies have a clause in teh small print which as Trevor says allows them to sever service for network reasons without compensation or notification, but the friend who told me this is getting in touch with someone she knows who works for trading standards to see what they say because my phone doesn't just run my business, it is also the sole point of contact for medical help for my family and is essential right now.

Jean Adams
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 15:08

I have just spoken to Vodofone and they have information that we will be reconnected at 6pm today. For compensation after reconnection ring 191

Susie Burnett
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 11:40

The postal address is: O2 Complaint Review Service, PO Box 302, Dunstable
LU6 9GN

Susie Burnett
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 11:39 (last edited on Fri 24 Jul 2015, 15:37)

I have spent days waiting for a live link to O2's chat line - it's always busy. Having finally got through, the most they would do was to give me an email address for making a formal complaint and forward my concerns to their 'Network Investigations Team', signed off with a smiley face (!), which is hilarious given we already know the network is down. In fact, I suspect what little we know is actually more than O2! The email address is: complaintreviewservice@o2.com

Kate Smith
👍

Fri 24 Jul 2015, 11:04

Trevor what address did you complain to? Like Liz I got an unhelpful and unsympathetic response from the O2 online chat, and am happy to complain, as the lack of service is getting very frustrating with no indication of when it may resume.

Trevor Taylor
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2015, 20:49

The response from O2 and Vodafone appears to differ. Vodafone accept there's a problem and offer compensation while O2 told me the small print of their contract allows them to sever service for 'network reasons' without compensation. I have made an official complaint to O2's management, as suggested by Ofcom. If that does not bring a satisfactory response then I'll crank up the media machine. I suggest that any O2 customers who have suffered this loss make a formal complaint. Strength in numbers etc.

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2015, 17:46 (last edited on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 19:45)

Vodafone signal is improving as I am getting a few texts now some even from abroad and I even managed to respond to them but mine take ages. I have also been getting marketing texts from M&S and Waitrose over last couple days. I have a feeling all will be well by tomorrow.

rosemary galli
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2015, 13:58

Hi Liz, I also tried a chat conversation this AM and like you was terribly frustrated with the stock and unhelpful answer. I looked at transferring to Vodaphone, which had some attractive packages but was just told by my neighbour that it's also down. At least she can make emergency calls! Does anyone have any advice?

Liz Reason
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2015, 12:27

I complained on O2 chat that I had received no message from their website which describes the maintenance work. "You'll get a message when it's over" she said. But I want to know NOW when this outage is expected to be over, not just told when it's ended. For a communication company their communications strategy is hopeless.

Nick Johnson
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2015, 10:36

vodaphone still not back though they can still send me a text telling me that my monthly bundle runs out tomorrow. I tried to find out what was going on via the vodaphone website which was inpenetrable. Only the Charlbury website gave me useful info.
My inconvenience has been minor but others have had serious effects on their businesses and the elderly or sick could be at serious risk. Why no warning, apology not to say compensation?

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 23:27

Vodafone told me the 24th earlier today - very frustrating have to take phone out of area to get messages ! lucky I did as I had an important message can't reply until tomorrow when phone get's taken out of Charlbury ! what did we do before mobiles !

Jackie Hague
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 22:33

I've just been told by O2 that it will be fixed by the evening of Friday 24th.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 22:04

everyone seems to be told a different time . hope it is tomorrow we shall see

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 20:58

I also have just been 'chatting' with Vodaphone - I was informed that it will be rectified tomorrow and that I will be refunded for each day's line rental it has been down.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 20:18

Just been on the Chat facility with Vodafone and they did not give me a date when it would be completed by. When I asked about compensation they said that I should send a copy of my chat to them and they would then assess the level if compensation to give.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 19:53

and a P.S. to my own post - the O2 man said affected customers will receive a text or e-mail when the service is resumed, at which point we should contact them to claim compensation. I was amazed it's not automatically given.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 19:51

I spoke to someone on the phone at O2. He was apologetic, confirmed that the new mast isn't due to be working until 18.00 on 28 July, and said that O2's compensation policy is not to pay out until the service has been resumed (he explained that Ofcom rules mean compensation has to be calculated on the actual number of days' service outage).

But from chatting with a few people in town today it's clear that O2 do sometimes give out sweeteners/freebies/credits to customers too, presumably if the customer kicks up enough of a fuss.

Susie Burnett
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 18:40 (last edited on Wed 22 Jul 2015, 18:41)

Lucky you! With O2, there is no 'complaint' option on their telephone line, so you have to go for anything but then get put on hold for ages. Conveniently, their online 'chat' facility has been 'busy' all afternoon. Has anyone managed to get through to O2 regarding compensation, and if so how?

mark s
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 17:23

just had a quick 'Online' chat with Vodafone, says it'll be back up and running on the 24th, got £15 knocked off the bill, didn't even have to ask.Bonus.

Susie Burnett
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 15:38

And to add insult to injury, you have to pay a standard rate to call from a land line to complain that you can't use your mobile!

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 12:44

I can't believe that O2 is not required to give warning of an outage of this length.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 10:24

Ofcom will expect the phone company's own complaints procedure to have been exhausted first. So do carry on making the complaints and compensation requests to Vodafone / O2.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2015, 09:51

I have just spoken to vodafone it is planned to finish 6pm 24th July you need to contact them if you want a credit for the time the system has not been working

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2015, 16:28 (last edited on Tue 21 Jul 2015, 17:00)

I had an online 'Chat' with Vodafone this morning and they said it would be up and running by 25th. 'fingers crossed'.

Exactly Phil, I was thinking that.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2015, 16:25

28th ! I have been offered £5 by vodafone if it is the 28th I will be asking for more -

Trevor Taylor
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2015, 15:11

No O2 service and O2 has just told me that the service is due to be restored by 28th. July. We have lost service but O2 is making no offer of compensation for service we are paying for but not receiving. I think Ofcom should be told.

PJ Honey
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2015, 11:58

I checked on the Vodafone website, which confirms this planned maintenance, and they claim that everything will be back to normal by 6pm on the 24th July...

Phil Morgan
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2015, 10:43

Yes, Vodaphone and O2 went down yesterday at 1pm when the mast on top of the Fire Station was removed. It is being reinstated now for improved service. I have just spoken to the Carillion chaps who are working on the Fire Station tower. They estimate that both networks will be restored by tomorrow evening.
Would have been nice if Vodaphone and O2 could have texted everybody to explain what was happening.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2015, 09:24

We have two phones on vodafone and neither are working in Charlbury since yesterday

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2015, 08:48

O2 has a status checker online here: status.o2.co.uk/ Here's what it says for us:

Live results for Charlbury, England, Oxon, OX7 3RR

Sorry we're currently working on a phone mast in this area

You might experience problems making calls, using the internet, or sending/receiving emails.

Our Network modernisation programme to improve 2G and 3G coverage and roll out 4G has reached this area. It does mean that you may experience intermittent service on your mobile device while our engineers 'do their thing'.

We're sorry about that, but we'll do our best to minimise any impact to your signal.

Julie Ward
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2015, 08:20

Yes, we have two phones in our household with O2 and we've had no service on either since at least lunchtime yesterday.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2015, 07:30 (last edited on Tue 21 Jul 2015, 07:32)

Has anyone noticed that the O2 phone network is either down or weakened over the last few days? Apparently they are working on a phone mast in the area.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.