Double Glazing efficiency

Heather Hill
👍

Sun 7 Jun 2015, 19:30

Hi Simon, I can concur as someone who does work for a double glazing firm (and I'm not trying to sell you any lol) that not all old Windows need replacing. However I would suggest you contact a company who offers free advice from somewhere like checkatrade.com. That way you know they are a reputable company who aren't going to do everything in their power to sell you Windows you don't need.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 22:25 (last edited on Mon 8 Jun 2015, 08:37)

The seals are readily available either as DIY or the trade www.euroseal.co.uk/repairs-renovations.htm

These people are based in oxford and talk about their repair and refurb capabilities www.aandcglazing.co.uk/upvc-window-repairs-oxford

www.mybuilder.com/questions/v/240/can-the-rubber-sealants-be-replaced-around-double-glazed-window-units-rather-than-replacing-the-whole-window-windows-installed-at-least-15-years-ago

Simon Walker
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 21:14

Adding on to Hans' comment about making sure you get the right size of hinge. Also make sure you have one person outside on the ladder to hold the window, and another inside to see that everything aligns properly. Those units need two hands to hold them, and that doesn't leave any for the screwdriver and screws!

Hans Eriksson
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 19:38

I should also add that it is a very common for window fitters to say new windows are needed when only the hinge needs replacement. We got the tip from a window fitter in Cornwall.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 19:33

Simon - I assume you have casement windows? And there is an air leak around the perimeter? Very often it's not the seal, it's the hinge! The weight of the window makes the hinge bend over time, and you can't seem to get a tight seal any longer. Simple solution: Screwfix Witney stock these: www.screwfix.com/p/mila-ideal-window-friction-hinges-side-hung-311mm-pack-of-2/7268g Only £ 6.39 for the pair. Make sure you get the right size. We did about 4 windows for a neighbour, it was easy and with excellent result.

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 16:34

Thank you folks _ i've sent them a message. Fingers crossed they don't tell me I need complete new windows like everyone else has...

Si

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 13:45

Definitely Fairmitre is the place to go to!

Phil Morgan
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 12:38

Fairmitre is the place to go. Andy Gomm has done all my windows and doors in PVC and has done virtually all my neighbours on Sturt Road over the years. Good results and no complaints as far as I know. It always makes good sense to use your local supplier/fitter in my view. Less white vans travelling from Wolverhampton or Milton Keynes - he is just up the road and gives all his 'locals' priority service.

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 11:51

Charlbury Fairmitre fitted pvc windows for us so they don't just work in wood. I can recommend them.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 11:12

You could give Charlbury Fairmitre a call (http://fairmitreconservatories.co.uk/) - although they work in wood and you mention your windows are plastic, they might be able to advise you if there's a generic solution.

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 10:45

Thanks Simon and Kim.

Its only the seals on the frames which have compressed so much they no longer really seal. All the glass window units are perfectly sealed with no fogging at all. Every company I've spoken to so far is trying to sell me a completely new set of windows and I don't think that is necessary. My assumption here is that with minimal expenditure I can get back efficient windows, rather than the huge expense of complete replacement.

This replace not fix world we live in is really annoying me...

Simon Walker
👍

Thu 4 Jun 2015, 23:31

It looks like Kim may be talking about something different. If the seals that keep the vacuum between the glass panes have gone, then the windows will fog up inside. That's new glazing units, no question. If it's just the rubber/plastic seals that are supposed to keep the window tight against the frame, then those should be replaceable. Google 'double glazing repairs Oxfordshire' and see what comes up that might be of help. Or try WindowGeeks - I've seen their van around here in the past.

kim collery
👍

Thu 4 Jun 2015, 19:45 (last edited on Thu 4 Jun 2015, 20:36)

Simon, doubled glazed windows(IG)are manufactured with a vacuum within the two pieces of glass containing an inert gas either argon, xenon or krypton with a silica strip to absorb any tiny amounts of moisture. Replacement is the only way out!
PS it may be possible to replace just glazed units.

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Wed 3 Jun 2015, 17:42

I'm keen to seek the advice of someone not out to sell me windows and wonder if anyone here knows someone who may be able to give us some impartial advice.

We have some fairly old double glazing in our property. On most of the windows the seals have shrunk and they let draught and noise in.

I'm of the opinion that replacing these seals will bring the otherwise apparently intact windows and frames back to the spec that they were when new. And that this is a much more financially sensible thing to do than rip out good plastic and glass and replace with new windows.

Is there anyone local who may be able to do this work, and maybe do a cost analysis for us so I can weigh it up properly.

Thanks

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.