Southill Solar new planning application

Mike Williams
👍

Mon 1 Jun 2015, 22:20

Or, as well.

John Werner
👍

Mon 1 Jun 2015, 21:46

Just as it's so windy outside right now - how about a couple of wind-turbines instead?

Liz Reason
👍

Mon 1 Jun 2015, 19:01

Charlie Peacock drew attention to the fact that households now pay £68/year to subsidise energy projects. I was merely pointing out that at least that cost is transparent. The other subsidies that are listed are not explicit in bills but are nevertheless being paid by electricity consumers, and taxpayers.

Tim crisp
👍

Mon 1 Jun 2015, 14:36

Apologies for the delayed response, the explanation for the panel height variation is as follows:
The planning application form was submitted on 28th April. Although we had been advised of the likely drop in panel/array height to between 2m and 2.2m we didn't yet have the final drawing. The 'up to 2.5m' was a safety guard, knowing we would achieve a significant fall in the height of the arrays without knowing the specific height. The final drawing, which can be viewed on the planning portal, arrived on 1st May confirming the panel/array height as 2097mm. WODC planning are aware of this.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 1 Jun 2015, 09:51

Decommissioning costs at Sellafield would not seem to be terribly relevant to a planning application for solar panels in a local field. On the other hand, Mark's original question appears to me to be entirely relevant, and I'm increasingly concerned that no one will answer him. It is up to people to decide whether a difference of half a metre would be significant, on the basis of accurate information.

Alan Wilson
👍

Mon 1 Jun 2015, 08:39

By all means make the case for solar energy on the basis of CO2 emissions (though the case is less strong than it might appear at first glance when you include the impact of manufacture, construction, etc rather than just generation), but trying to make it look less subsidised than conventional electricity just undermines your credibility.

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 27 May 2015, 17:11

Environmental Audit Committee findings in December 2013:
An estimate of total annual fossil fuel consumer and producer support in the UK of just over £7 billion
The nuclear hangover from power stations operating in past decades is currently requiring over £2bn a year in producer support and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority has to deal with liabilities estimated to be at least £50bn
Producer support of £3 billion targeted at renewable energy technologies

The Public and Accounts Committee found that clean-up costs at the Sellafield nuclear power plant have risen to an astonishing £70 billion, with the possibility that costs will rise further.

Tim crisp
👍

Wed 27 May 2015, 15:04 (last edited on Wed 27 May 2015, 15:06)

The annual return to investors remains at 5%. The annual donations to good causes has been reduced as a result of the reduced size of the scheme and is forecast to achieve approximately £50,000 a year on average. Investor returns are modelled to begin in year 2 allowing a significantly increased initial community benefit in year 1.

With regards subsidies and levies, I would very much like to take this opportunity to highlight that the subsidy for ground mount solar has fallen from 34.65p/pkWh in July 2011 to 4.44p/pkWh from 1st July 2015. By anyones standards this is a substantial fall in subsidy.

I would also like to point out the often overlooked subsidy that is paid to support the fossil fuel economy. In 2012 there was $544bn subsidy for fossil fuels compared with a much smaller $101bn subsidy for renewables (Source International Energy Agency - IEA). In 2013 total annual fossil fuel subsidy in the UK was $1.2bn.

Charlie Peacock
👍

Wed 27 May 2015, 14:28

I understand that the proposed area of solar panels has been reduced and I would ask Tim Crisp how this would affect a) the annual return to investors and b) the annual donations to "good causes" in and around Charlbury.

Also, I would draw attention to an article in The Telegraph dated 27th May 2015 that states " every household now pays £68/year to subsidise renewable energy projects such as solar panels and that a new government analysis shows green levies on energy bills will more than double by 2020 and treble by 2030.

Amanda Epps
👍

Tue 26 May 2015, 11:44

The residents of Charlbury were in support of the initial plans for a solar farm but there is little evidence of this in the comments on the WODC website. Come on Charlbury, back this attempt to provide the community with sustainable, renewable energy.

Mark Hofman
👍

Sat 23 May 2015, 22:03

Sustainable Charlbury says on its website and in e-mails that the height of the proposed solar panels has been reduced, since the first rejected planning application, from 2.8m to 2.0m. The new planning application says that they will be up to 2.5m high. Could we have an explanation, please?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.