Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 12 May 2015, 18:02

If someone gives me some photos!

john h
👍

Tue 12 May 2015, 17:39

Also in the gallery section of this web site,question to site admin,is this section going to be updated?? John H

Ruth Williams
👍

Tue 12 May 2015, 13:38

There are photos of The Talbot Inn and other Charlbury photos in the Chippy Museum

Ray Marshall
👍

Mon 11 May 2015, 21:09

I can remember the Talbot from my childhood days and it was at the time the only place to get your Sunday papers and in my case, comics. The large front door opened out to a passageway where the newspapers were laid out for you to pick whichever paper you wanted.
My comics were the Dandy, Beeno, Lion and Eagle.
Anyone remember when the Talbot did milk deliveries? They had a milk churn on wheels and various measures and would do the round filling up peoples milk bottles or jugs left by the front door.

Tony H Merry
👍

Thu 7 May 2015, 21:19

Thanks Richard
Realised that later

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 6 May 2015, 21:32

That's not written by the owner (who's referred to as the Landlord in that posting) - the owner rents it out sometimes. We rented Armada Cottage for a year when we first moved into Charlbury. It's a delightful little house.

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 6 May 2015, 19:30

Thanks
Leah
yes please
I did come across this article from the owners of Armada House thisvillagelife.wordpress.com/2010/05/16/this-old-house/

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 6 May 2015, 12:49

I have a copy of Lois Hey's book Tony, if you want to borrow it.

Amanda Epps
👍

Wed 6 May 2015, 12:04

The Kibble book just mentions the Dog in a list of the local pubs. There is more in the Lois Hey book, A History of Charlbury.
"The Elizabethan building in Thames Street (earlier known as Dog Street) opposite Nineacres Lane was probably an inn for centuries. Variously called The Greyhound (one of the supporters on Queen Elizabeth's coat of arms);The Talbot, a large white hunting dog with long ears (badge of the Earls of Shrewsbury); the Spotted Dog (a Talbot with spots, that is a Dalmatian); or just the Dog, it must have incorporated Armada Cottage, and possibly a blancing wing at the other end."
There is more and Tony there should be copy in the Library, open today between 2 and 5pm and also 5.30 to 7pm.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Tue 5 May 2015, 19:45

I would be very happy to donate my proffesional expertise in assessing its significance and historic/architectural/archaeological values if it would be helpful. It's what I do for a job and I've often walked past them and though that they are of great importance and interest. Message me if interested.

Tony H Merry
👍

Tue 5 May 2015, 19:15

thanks Linda and Pearl
I will follow this up. The object is to get a change in Listing to Grade2* which would make it easier to get protection for the oldest house in charlbury!

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 5 May 2015, 19:04

There is a book by John Kibble who used to live at top of Pound hill many years ago which is a wonderful book of Charlbury, we used to have one but unfortunately my Sister has mislaid it. I wonder if there may be one in Charlbury Library.

LINDA HILSDON
👍

Tue 5 May 2015, 18:30

Jon Carpenter may have some useful literature wychwoodpress.co.uk

Tony H Merry
👍

Tue 5 May 2015, 17:44

Yes Andrew I read that thank you
Yes I do Pearl apparently also known as the Dog at some time

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 5 May 2015, 17:19

Do you mean The Talbot Inn down Thames Street Tony? which is believed to have closed in 1951.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Tue 5 May 2015, 15:32

You've probably seen this already but the Victoria County History has a little bit about them: www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol10/pp127-157

Tony H Merry
👍

Tue 5 May 2015, 15:16

I am wondering if anyone out there has any more information on the history of these?
All I have been able to find says that they were once one house and that the date is probably accurate as well as mentiontion of the Talbot Inn but I would like to know more

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.