Campaign "Leave Charlbury Post Office Alone " HELP URGENT

Elaine Newbold
👍

Mon 8 Jun 2015, 18:33

Campaign continues - Radio Oxford is doing a programme tomorrow morning on the breakfast show about PO in Oxfordshire around 7.30am

Still had no further contact from the Post Office or David Cameron !

Alan Wilson
👍

Wed 20 May 2015, 14:28

Regarding the proposed relocation of Charlbury, I think the idea may be to move the town so that it is no longer next to the proposed site of a solar farm!

Simon Walker
👍

Wed 20 May 2015, 13:36 (last edited on Wed 20 May 2015, 13:40)

Having written from The Charlbury Society to the aforementioned Sarah Lambert, I am pleased to be able to report that I have now received not one, but two identical boilerplate letters - posted on 12th and 19th May respectively. For what it's worth, the first one was delivered in a plastic bag, the envelope having been chewed up by some postal sorting machine, while the envelope containing the second had not been sealed, so was wide open.

Oh yes - and the title on each was "Re: Proposed relocation of Charlbury". Does the Post Office know something us Charlburians (old and new) don't? Hmmmmm......

john h
👍

Fri 15 May 2015, 16:40

Shame the picture does not fit the story!! JH

Liz Leffman
👍

Fri 15 May 2015, 11:20

My understanding is that the Co-op isn't interested in taking on the Post Office

Kate Smith
👍

Fri 15 May 2015, 10:53

This piece specifically says: "if a branch chooses not take up the new model, we will seek out alternative viable sites. However, no move will take place unless there is a retail outlet nearby which can offer longer-term viability and this move is always subject to a public consultation.' - so if the Coop is the only viable alternative has anyone contacted them about their intentions? Surely this is the most effective place to lobby as their local customers must have some weight?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 15 May 2015, 09:05

Here's the piece on the Daily Mail website.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 15 May 2015, 09:00

Todays Daily Mail page 4 an article about Charlbury Post Office

Elaine Newbold
👍

Thu 14 May 2015, 21:15

Daily Mail -
Keep your eyes peeled for this publication either tomorrow or over the weekend, articles on Network Transformation of the Post Office will be produced. I had the Daily Mail photographer out today at Charlbury Post Office

Roy Coates
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2015, 18:17

I sent an email asking several qustions to NT Questions with copies to
Angela Morris; Paula Vennells (PO Managing Director)
For what its worth I received the identical respnse this morning as sent to Andrew Chapman This came from:.
Sarah Lambert
Senior Relationship Manager
Network Transformation
159 Clapham High Street
3rd Floor
London
SW4 7SS
NTExecutiveCorrespondence@Postoffice.co.uk

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2015, 17:15

Some people have been asking for an address the correct address is :-
Angela Morris/Alan Ridoutt
Post Office Limited
3rd Floor Admin
159 Clapham High Street
London SW4 7SS

(Sorry I have given the old address to a couple of people they have recently moved it will still get to them)

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2015, 16:19

Thanks Liz -- We also have an article in todays Witney Gazette

Liz Leffman
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2015, 15:47 (last edited on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 15:49)

I'm sure people will be pleased know that we have the backing of the District Council. I presented my motion today and they unanimously agreed that the Council will write to the Post Office in support of Elaine and our branch. They will ask them to reconsider their plan to relocate the Post Office and downgrade the service. I will be working with the Cabinet member with responsibility for communities to draft a letter. We will also be writing to the next Post Office minister to ask for the strategy for rural post offices to be reviewed.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 28 Apr 2015, 23:01 (last edited on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 23:11)

BBC South here is the link to Charlbury PO (about 7.26 mins in)
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05s2hbh/bbc-oxford-news-28042015
thanks everyone for their support

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 28 Apr 2015, 19:08

It is possible -----

22nd April 2015

After over 1,000 people signed a petition to keep Steeple Claydon's post office where it is - it's staying!

The Post Office have old Mix96 that Trevi's, as it's known, will keep their services going, after a few months of uncertainty.

The group had been looking at moving it to the co-cop, sparking the petition.

But a Post Office spokesperson has exclusively told us:

"The Post Office can confirm that Steeple Claydon Post Office will continue to operate from the current location with the postmaster remaining on the existing contract.

"Because Steeple Claydon Post Office did not automatically qualify to for community branch status it was necessary to review nearby outlets; this has been completed, and we apologise for the period of uncertainty this has caused."

Paul Rassam
👍

Tue 28 Apr 2015, 18:54

I received the same bland and slightly weasely reply. I've emailed back to ask why this particular branch might not be 'viable and sustainable' and therefore require a 'solution'.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Tue 28 Apr 2015, 15:51

Unenlightening but not entirely negative response from Sarah Lambert of the Network Transformation team:

Thank you for your recent email about the Network Transformation Programme and specifically Charlbury Post Office.

I would first like to stress that the Network Transformation Programme is not a closure programme and that those areas that currently have a Post Office service will not be left without a service as a result of the programme.

The aim of the Network Transformation Programme is to ensure that branches are viable and sustainable in the future. Our plans are about maintaining the network and ensuring that no community is left without Post Office services going forward.

Any change to the way in which we operate our network, whether in rural or urban areas would be subject to our Code of Practice, as agreed with our independent Watchdog, Citizens Advice (CitA). Under this Code we will communicate our plans for branches to local elected representatives and ensure our regular customers are advised by means of posters and leaflets in branch. During consultation the feedback from all interested parties are noted as part of the process and their comments on service issues are taken in to account.

Over the coming weeks we will be working closely with the postmaster of Charlbury to find the best possible solution for Charlbury Post Office as we progress through the Network Transformation Programme.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 28 Apr 2015, 14:55

Many thanks to everyone who turned up for the BBC filming today much appreciated - it will on tonights BBC News South - hopefully I will be on Radio Oxford around 5.30 -

Suzy M-H
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 20:32

You can also sign the petition online on this link
https://www.change.org/p/the-post-office-leave-charlbury-post-office-alone?utm_medium=email&utm_source=pp_fulfillment_email&utm_campaign=pp_fulfillment_email&tk=kEpv4A0ARLIft9euMy2uhUXDKkMFHi1p6Pf47y_SlYI

Angus B
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 19:48

Must be a burning issue, then, Mark…!

Mark Sulik
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 19:44

my wife and i went and singed the petition on Saturday in the Post office.
More names are needed -

Pearl Manners
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 10:27 (last edited on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 15:44)

Well that's a surprise that Angela will now accept emails afterall, the fact she emailed me to say she had forwarded mine to ntquestions@postoffice.co.uk last week. Feeling annoyed.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 09:47

around 2pm they are setting up at 1.30 one main person can't make it until 2pm so around 2pm would be good thank you

Elaine Newbold
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 09:42

just had this message from Angela so please use angela.morris@postoffice.co.uk

I think it would be best if you just let people use my e-mail address so there is continuity.

Paul Rassam
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 08:59

What time would you like people to turn up on Tuesday for the BBC, Elaine?

Bob Khosa
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 08:27

Try this as the contact email address: ntquestions@postoffice.co.uk (from the PO website)

For those who like direct targeting or copying in board members, the CEO's email address can be found on this useful site:

www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=9554&c=Post%20Office%20Limited

Charlie M
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 08:27

I sent my response to the "nt" email and to the "Angela" woman. I do not care if she "does not like" all the emails! I don't like her organisation's wishes to close or change the post office in Charlbury. It's time that these bureaucrats got off their high horses and started to listen to the common people! End of rant.

Helen Holwill
👍

Sun 26 Apr 2015, 20:58

Just a thought, but it might be more effective to send a relatively short email asking a specific question, so that they feel they have to reply and could even be taken to task if they didn't. An email that just expresses an opinion could, perhaps, be more easily/legitimately left unanswered.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Sun 26 Apr 2015, 19:18

I will investigate - It is never easy with the Post Office as you all can see !

Roy Coates
👍

Sun 26 Apr 2015, 18:22

I tried sending a message to ntquestions@po.co.uk this morning but is nas now bounced back as undeliverable. Any suggestions please Elaine

Elaine Newbold
👍

Sat 25 Apr 2015, 17:20

The best avenue to lobby is the Network Transformation team of the Post Office and David Cameron the more we can get the message across to them both the better

Kate Smith
👍

Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:46

Does this mean if they can't find a local supermarket that is willing to take the PO they won't close it? If so then shouldn't we be lobbying 5-ways and the Coop NOT to offer to take it? or does that mean we lose it altogether?

Suzy M-H
👍

Sat 25 Apr 2015, 09:58

Our campaign to save our Post Office in it's current form made front page of the Oxford Mail. Here's a link for the full story m.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/12913690.Residents_back_post_mistress_after_changes_threaten_shop/
BBC South Today is coming to Charlbury on Tuesday afternoon.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 21:37

The Londis store is too far from 8 Market St for the PO to consider at the moment

Nancy Whitfield
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 21:30

I sent a long email to Angela Morris this afternoon, but am I right in thinking that the two options they could move you to, are -

1- The Londis shop on the B 4022, which I explained to her was an outer ring road used for all heavy traffic, barred from the historical town centre.
2- The small Co-op Convenience Store at the Spendlove Centre, which I explained was not big enough to accommodate the Post Office.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 20:12 (last edited on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 09:49)

A article similar to this should be in the next chronicle explains a little of the situation

Charlbury Post Office is amongst the first tranche of Post Offices across the Uk to receive a letter from the Post Office informing the Postmaster that the Post Office wants to move into a larger retail outlet and that if they find a willing partner then the current Postmaster will be sacked and the service moved into a supermarket using a new style of PO called a PO Local model.

This model has no defined service area all transactions will be performed at the supermarket check out by the existing supermarket staff with no dedicated Postmaster.

Up until recently these changes have been voluntary with the Postmaster choosing whether or not to engage with the PO's transformation program this has been the case for the last 5 years. But due to low take up the Post Office in an unannounced and surprise move have started to compulsory close traditional PO branches and move them into supermarkets.

There appears to have been no Government permission granted for this change from voluntary to compulsory several MP's including David Cameron have been contacted asking what do they know about this latest move by the Post Office but to date no MP has been able to answer this question and appear to be as in the dark about this move as everyone is.

Anyone who is concerned further information from Elaine at the PO and urged to sign the petition and to write to their MP David Cameron and the PO at ntquestions@postoffice.co.uk to express concern about this sudden change of policy by the PO

Mark Sulik
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 19:34

To loose this vital service will have a massive impact on so many people. This is more of a community asset than other issues that have been raised on the forum. The number of hits received regarding the Bull, or the Russhy bank site got people hot under the collar and the post office field adviser does not like receiving e mails in relation to this situation !!!!!

What is the best way to get maximum impact . All e mail poor old Angela Morris, may be she would take notice . What is her role in the orginisation ?

How about a standard letter that is delivered to each house , where people fill in their details and return to the post office so they can be sent in as a bulk protest. I am sure the delivery post men and women would put these through each and every door as they deliver to our houses.

Wake up people of Charlbury ....we only have one post office, but 4 pubs

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 18:04

Update - BBC South Today are coming to film on tuesday around 2pm any support would be welcome -- thank you

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 17:26 (last edited on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 09:48)

The correct email is ntquestions@postoffice.co.uk - just had a phone call from Angela she does not like all the emails ! so please use this one she will forward all the other ones she has received

thanks everyone

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 17:02

The email address to angela.morris seems to have worked ok Elaine.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 14:55

The network field advisor is Angela Morris try angela.morris@postoffice.co.uk that will get to them

Andrew Chapman
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 09:15 (last edited on Fri 24 Apr 2015, 09:15)

I have just written an email to that 'network transformation' address and unfortunately it bounced back - do you know of another one, Elaine?

Elaine Newbold
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 23:52 (last edited on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 23:57)

Some people have asked who they should write to express their views. The address is Post Office Ltd Network Transformation 148 Old Street London EC1V 9HQ email Network_transformation_team@postoffice.co.uk

The village of Steeple Claydon look to have saved their Post Office yesterday by letters to this team , we could try do the same if everyone contacted them we may just get noticed.

We could also contact David Cameron Waterloo House 58-60 High Street Witney Oxon OX28 6HJ
witney2015@gmail.com

The following article gives details of Steeple Claydon m.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/news/more-news/village-post-office-saved-before-petition-hand-in-1-6703650

Thank you Elaine

Elaine Newbold
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 15:30

Yes many thanks for all your support , this is just the beginning .

Suzy M-H
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 15:03

There was a fantastic turnout for the Oxford Mail photographer this morning! I hope Elaine feels supported by the people of Charlbury who clearly appreciate what a lot of hard work has gone into giving us our wonderful Post Office. Long may it continue.

Amanda Epps
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 12:01

The Town Council have been consulted about the possible closure. They will be discussing it next Wednesday, the 29th. Anyone who wishes to address the meeting can do so. They should contact Roger Clarke on 810608 beforehand.
I was in the village shop in Stonesfield which now has the Post Office. The poor owner was trying to serve shop and post office customers. The man waiting at the post office counter looked put out that she was serving me!
The more letters that flood into Cameron's office the better. He needs our votes on the 7th.

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 11:13 (last edited on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 12:25)

Sorry Suzy it's 2pages so not easy to detail. I've only just got back I need to try make it to support photo so I'll email you later.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 10:44

The photographer is booked in for 11.30 should only take a couple of minutes

Miles Walkden
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 09:53

Is this still on for 11:30. if this could be updated for those who are working and will run down for 15 mins so need to know the best time.

Suzy M-H
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 09:41

What does the letter say, Pearl?

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 09:22 (last edited on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 12:49)

Well if it's any help I have a letter from Prime Minister David Cameron's Office last time there must have been talk of change to post office procedure and we were asked to save our local Post Office, it's dated 5 April 2012.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 08:58

Yes Mr David Cameron has been kept informed .The last letter to his office that he received was on the 13th April . I did ask when the change to the Network transformation program was lawfully approved by Parliament given that it was launched by Parliament as strictly voluntary program on part of the Postmasters, before my public campaign to save Charlbury P O is launched . I have not had a reply (yet) hence our campaign

Charlie M
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2015, 08:27

Has Cameron been contacted about this?
Surely as our MP, the preservation of Charlbury Post Office is something that we should expect and require his support over?

Suzy M-H
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2015, 18:18

Can we all try and round up as many people as possible for the Oxford Mail photo tomorrow outside the Post Office at 11.30 am? Will pop up a poster outside school, pre-school and any other notice boards I can think of.

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2015, 16:03

I have an X Ray at 10.30 but should be able get back.

James Styring
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2015, 15:10

I'll be there.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2015, 14:44

The Oxford Mail are coming tomorrow at 11.30 so anyone available for a picture would be great to show support from the locals

Elaine Newbold
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 16:03

I will keep everyone informed . Today the press is busy with another News Story regarding the Post Office www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32377013 so hopefully later in the week we may get interest.

Helen Chapman
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 15:55

Elaine, let us know if there is likely to be a press photo and I'll definitely come along if I am able to.

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 11:46 (last edited on Mon 20 Apr 2015, 11:47)

According to the Post Office's own code of practice, they have to conduct a six week consultation before they make any major changes to the service. As yet I see no sign of them consulting on this even though they have advertised and I will be taking this up with them.

Charlie M
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 10:31

I would also urge people to sign the petition to save Charlbury Post Office:
www.change.org/p/the-post-office-leave-charlbury-post-office-alone

Charlie M
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 09:55

Charlbury Post Office in its present form does a most superb job, and should remain in its present form to allow it to continue serving Charlbury so well. I presume that the Post Office's wish to downgrade it is a by-product of its scandalous privatisation. Can we expect any support from our MP in the efforts to retain the Post Office as it stands? I would tend to assume not, but I suppose he should at least be asked, although having experienced his dumbed down and patronising replies on other topics, I would not hold out any great hope. I will end by wishing this campaign the very best of fortune. Charlbury needs a PROPER Post Office.

Nancy Whitfield
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2015, 21:10

I have just quickly written this on Liz Reason's link to
Change.org, under "Comments" -

"This Post Office is our link to almost 10 banks, with our closest actual bank over 7 miles away in Chipping Norton or Witney. It is mostly retired persons who have this Charlbury Post Office as their lifeline, and who use it regularly through the week - to receive their pensions, and to pay their bills, like tv license, council and car tax, as well as stamps, parcel collections, etc and all the usual postal/Royal Mail facilities."

Was there anything left out that could be mentioned?
You don't say what are the likely chances that we will lose our most prized possession in Charlbury?

Good luck Elaine!

Meraud Ferguson Hand
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2015, 15:40

A further problem with putting a counter in another shop is what happens if *that* shop goes out of business/closes for other reasons, as does happen reasonably regularly in Charlbury. In addition, a second till in a normal shop provides less security for the staff, which should be a concern, I think.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2015, 12:04

Happy to have a petition in my shop when there're available we don't want to lose any shops in the town centre.

Mark Sulik
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2015, 11:49

This , if anything in town , should be an asset of the community as it is a service for all of Charlbury.

Liz Reason
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2015, 17:27

Thanks for the encouraging posts and offers of help. Would anyone be willing to make some hard copies of the petition to put in the shops and pubs of Charlbury? Charlbury Deli has already offered to take one, indeed suggested the idea.

Paul Rassam
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2015, 13:06 (last edited on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 14:09)

I'm heartened to hear of your motion, Liz. A proper post office, with helpful and knowledgeable staff, is an important amenity and ours is also a very useful shop, regardless of whether or not it satisfies the Post Office's criteria. The kind of replacement envisaged is invariably unsatisfactory by comparison, especially for anyone needing a dedicated post office for their business. I'm afraid I come under that category so I may be accused of being slightly biased but for me the point about the post office is that it's part of the underpinning of Charlbury as a thriving town. I think safeguarding its future is at least as important as that of a pub.

I do hope that a large number of us will support whatever action group is formed. I am certainly very happy to help in whatever way I can.
There's also a link to a petition in the News section of the website.

Liz Leffman
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2015, 12:50

I am proposing a motion at the next council meeting on April 29th, which reads as follows:

"This council supports the Government's strategy for maintaining post office branches that are within 3 miles of 99% of the population. However, it also notes that in West Oxfordshire, this strategy has resulted in the down-grading of a number of rural branches, so that for a full range of services residents have to travel to the main centres of population, which are often considerably more than 3 miles away.

This council therefore resolves to write to the Minister with responsibility for Post Offices in the new government, outlining the difficulties that rural communities face when their Post Offices are closed or downgraded, and requesting a review of this policy.

Further, Council resolves that, in relation to the Post Office in Charlbury, it will request the Post Office to reconsider its plan to downgrade and relocate the service, and to conduct research into the needs of the local community before taking further action"

Let's hope that the council agrees!

In the meantime, I am doing some research into what has happened to the PO Local counters around here - Finstock and Leafield for example. There are rumours that because they are small and offer a limited range of services, they are not all viable. That is what is being proposed for Charlbury. Even assuming that someone could be found to offer a home to a counter (and that is doubtful)it could turn out not to be viable because of the limited range of services. Then we face the prospect of only having post offices in Chipping Norton and Witney.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2015, 10:07

Many thanks Suzy

Suzy M-H
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2015, 09:57

That's terrible, Elaine. You've created a fantastic thriving post office, one of our focal shops. I'm happy for you to put my name down as a contact. I think it would be helpful if others who want to help with a campaign could put their names on this thread or let you know their contact details.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2015, 09:36

I need a person who is prepared to be a point of contact for the media the group in reality does not have to be formed as long as my customer's are prepared to back me and show their support to the media etc.

The P.O. are seeking to move the P.O. counter from Market Street . any new PO would be a small counter next to a retail till so very different to as it is now. Long Hanborough and Bloxham have recently converted if you wanted to have a look are good examples. The feed back I am getting getting from Hanborough many customer are not happy with this big change ie only one counter with queuing all around the shop.

The present premesis will not be available because I do not have a big enough retail to meet the P.O .criteria to convert to a P.O .new local contract so they are seeking to sack me and remove the P.O.

Brian Murray
👍

Fri 17 Apr 2015, 23:53

Yes,Elaine, I echo Suzy's request for more info, as the Post Office ad makes it clear they wish to have a P.O. in Charlbury and also states that the present premises will not be available.

Suzy M-H
👍

Fri 17 Apr 2015, 23:33 (last edited on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 09:52)

Suzy M-H
👍

Fri 17 Apr 2015, 23:31

Could you say more about what's behind the need for an action group, Elaine?

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 17 Apr 2015, 12:07

Is there anyone who could front up an action group ? They would only have to be a point of contact, a group doesn't actually have to exist in reality as long as Post Office customers get behind it when local press come to take pics etc.

Thank you

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.