Fresh, local milk to the doorstep

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 23 Aug 2015, 20:10 (last edited on Sun 23 Aug 2015, 20:10)

I also had my milk delivered from Charlbury Dairies for many years. I'm not sure that the decision to sell the land for development was primarily because the dairy was not a going concern. The current milkman also originally worked for Charlbury Dairies & does a sterling job, including in the most awful weather.

I really appreciated the milk deliveries last year when I broke my foot and was unable to walk or drive. Don't be too quick to resort to supermarket milk. I would rather try and pressurize Dairy Crest (soon to be Muller's) to change their policies. And glass bottles are so much better for the environment (and also for taste!) than those awful plastic cartons.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 23 Aug 2015, 07:06 (last edited on Sun 23 Aug 2015, 10:09)

I did have my milk delivered from Charlbury Dairies for many years Graham also when it was Pratleys before Mike took over.!
The only reason I am now with this company is because it was offered at the time when they unfortunately retired, I for one was very sorry when that happened.

graham W
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 22:04

Why didn't everyone rally round years ago when Charlbury Dairies was was a going concern!!!!!!!

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 21:07 (last edited on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 21:08)

Do Waitrose actually sell milk in Glass bottles? I do shop there sometimes and I don't think I have ever spotted any.

Peter Evans
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 20:11

I believe that Waitrose pay 32p per litre so maybe, very unfortunately, it's time to ditch the doorstep delivery. At 81p per pint that's a significant uplift on the 22p per litre that Dairy Crest apparently pay to the farmers.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 17:42

I have signed as well, and have already written to Dairy Crest asking them to explain their pricing policy for organic milk, which we buy.

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 17:39

Thank you for that information Christine I have signed the petition.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 21 Aug 2015, 16:53

I really appreciate doorstep deliveries of milk. So I am really sad to discover that they have cut the price paid to British farmers by 1.4p to just under 22p, way below the 30p guide.

I am also extremely disappointed to learn that in 2016 the last Dairy Crest glass bottling plant will close with a loss of 200 jobs. From then on their doorstep deliveries of milk will arrive in disposable plastic rather than reusable glass bottles. This is environmentally unfriendly & also counterproductive in terms of taste.

There is a petition here for those who would like to ask Dairy Crest to reconsider their decision: www.thepetitionsite.com/528/269/998/keep-the-glass/

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 9 Apr 2015, 23:35

ChOC showed The Moo Man too. You can get it on iTunes for £4.49 to rent, £7.99 to buy. I agree: well worth watching if you are interested in dairy farming and where your milk comes from (or doesn't!).

By the way, I think all the milk in the Coop, Waitrose and Lidl is British. All sell organic milk too, of course. The Coop has non-homogenised organic milk from a Gloucestershire (I think) farm, as well as its own brand of homogenised.

Heather Hill
👍

Thu 9 Apr 2015, 20:45

I signed up and with 2 weeks the price went up 10p a pint. It worked out a lot more that supermarkets. I am all for supporting local businesses but when you're on a budget it isn't easy. It's the same with farmers markets.

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 9 Apr 2015, 07:56 (last edited on Thu 9 Apr 2015, 07:57)

Thank you for all that information Christine I was not aware of any of that, please keep us updated on the situation.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 8 Apr 2015, 10:45

At the moment Milk&More use only British Milk, even if their call centre is in the Phillipines. The German firm Muller is wanting to buy the dairy side of the Milk&More business, but the sale is currently under review by the Competition and Markets Authority.

I am posting this info so that people know that you are also supporting UK farmers by ordering doorstep deliveries (in glass bottles) through Milk&More. I would personally really regret it if Milk&More no longer delivered in this area or stopped using British (pasteurised) milk.

That might change in the future. Muller has said that it will keep the doorstep deliveries going if the sale of Milk&More goes through; but Muller has also decreased the price it pays to UK dairy farmers. And this had led to protests by UK farmers & the fear that they will start delivering milk from outside the UK.

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 8 Apr 2015, 08:53 (last edited on Wed 8 Apr 2015, 10:12)

Oh really Ian, I didn't follow that through I was just looking for the Hook Norton connection, silly me, that's not actually local is it. I wonder who the actual local milkround for that is then perhaps Megan could send me the contact details please in case I don't get the rep. round this way. I've had milk from 'milkandmore' for years since Charlbury Dairies closed as I do like my milk in glass bottles but it doesn't say from local farm.

Ian Taylor
👍

Wed 8 Apr 2015, 07:54

Hook and Son are based on a farm in East Sussex; one of the few producers selling raw milk. There is a documentary film about them called "The Moo Man", which I urge you to see if you can. It was shown in Chippy a bit back where they also had a Q&A session with the farmer, who has a name for every cow!

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 7 Apr 2015, 21:46

Thanks Diana for the info have now signed up , especially useful as the Co-Op is so often out of semi skimmed milk .

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 7 Apr 2015, 21:01

I have milkandmore but if it's Hook Norton I googled it and I think it's more likely to be Hook & Son Raw Milk which I've never had. Sounds very interesting, get it from BigBarn.co.uk. No one has been to my door as yet.

Diana Limburg
👍

Tue 7 Apr 2015, 20:52

Assuming it's the same milkman that brings our milk, you should be able to sign up on milkandmore.co.uk

Megan Bell
👍

Tue 7 Apr 2015, 20:39

They're going door to door.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 7 Apr 2015, 20:00

How can you sign up ? I would be interested

Megan Bell
👍

Tue 7 Apr 2015, 19:46

Sadly the local milkround may not be viable without more customers. A dairy rep is going round signing up more customers. I signed up - had intended to anyway but not got round to before. The milk is local (Hook Norton) and you can still get it in glass bottles if you wish. Plus supporting the milkman keeps a valuable community service going, especially for older/housebound people. Hope a good few sign up!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.