"Twin Beatrice" anyone??

Rod Evans
👍

Wed 8 Apr 2015, 17:32

Thanks Andrew - a useful googling tip, I didn't get past those pics (but didn't look at them, honest!). If it sparked interest anywhere else, the full item can be seen here:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-BEATRICE...Stove...-/311133111650

The bit I found is the hinged base of the stove part, hinged to allow access to the burner underneath. But perhaps I won't bother searching for the rest of it!

Andrew Chapman
👍

Tue 7 Apr 2015, 14:41 (last edited on Tue 7 Apr 2015, 14:44)

A bit of googling suggests Twin Beatrice was a range of portable paraffin stoves in the 1920s/30s (search for "Twin Beatrice" in quote marks and also try an image search - there are various models you can see if you scroll through past the pictures of tennis player Eugenie Bouchard and her twin Beatrice!).

There's more if you search for (in quotes) "Twin Beatrice stove", eg www.ehow.co.uk/facts_7631831_history-beatrice-twin-kerosene-stove.html

Rod Evans
👍

Sun 5 Apr 2015, 21:36

Dug up a couple of days ago, it's iron (I think!), measures roughly 6" x 5", looks like one half of a hinged container for two (hence twin of course) bottles or similar. Nothing I can find via that goo-y thing - can anyone shed light?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.