Tidying of Churchyard

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 1 Apr 2015, 19:03

Quite. Perhaps it needs gates at either end that cycles won't go through. I lived in Oxford for many years and can assure you that (lots of, if not quite all) cyclists will ride anywhere they can. Polite signs get you nowhere.

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 1 Apr 2015, 17:47

Anybody who is a resident of Charlbury of any religion, denomination, or none is a parishioner and therefore entitled to use the church yard path (even to go to the station) however they are not entitled to cycle through as the owners have stipulated this.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 1 Apr 2015, 11:00

Thanks for the conversation Leah. I can confirm that the path through the churchyard is NOT marked as a public right of way on the Ordnance Survey mapping. I conclude that members of the public have no right at all to be in there! (Unless buried, of course…).

Angus B
👍

Tue 31 Mar 2015, 21:42 (last edited on Tue 31 Mar 2015, 21:42)

Angus B
👍

Tue 31 Mar 2015, 21:41

I walked through the churchyard this morning and appreciated all the hard work that had gone into making it look so tidy. And the primroses were delightful.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 31 Mar 2015, 08:21

Thank you for maintaining a public right of way that is also a passing point of peace and brief reflection.

Duncan Forbes
👍

Sat 28 Mar 2015, 17:55

A big thank you to all who wisely ignored the weather forecast and turned up this morning (Saturday 28th) to help with maintenance of the churchyard. The path edges have been re-cut, huge amounts of ivy removed from trees and graves, gullies cleared, and many other jobs done. Several gravestones which were grown over can now be seen and read again. Thanks to those who provided cake and refreshments too.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.