Stolen Jack o'Lanterns

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 13 Nov 2006, 10:29

Far from advocating passive forms of entertainment (BTW,since when is bowling considered a passive activity?), my point is that there could be more resources in Charlbury devoted to cultivating interests that teenagers actually have; instead of what we think they *should* be interested in.

Cricket, Football, Drama and walking around muddy farmer's fields are fine for people who already enjoy those activities, but I'm willing to guess that the age group under discussion might have other interests beyond that scope.

A Youth Centre as part of the proposed Community Centre wouldn't be an unreasonable way of meeting those needs.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 9 Nov 2006, 17:38

Don't forget the Cricket Club Igor - we have over 150 registered members (girls and boys) in our youth section. Although I accept that cricket is primarily a summer activity, we also run some net sessions in the spring and some of our youngsters take part in an indoor league in the winter. Therefore, at least to some extent, cricket in Charlbury can be described as an all-year-round activity.

When children claim that "there is nothing to do" I suppose that what they are really seeking are "passive" forms of entertainment such as the provision of bowling alleys, multiscreen cinemas and branches of Macdonalds and Burger King, all of which would be totally inappropriate in a small rural community such as Charlbury. What's wrong with making your own entertainment? I had to do it when I was a child! Surely the greatest "entertainment" asset we have in Charlbury is the thousands of square miles of glorious countryside on our doorstep. I spend a lot of time cycling and walking in the local countryside but very rarely do I see any young people taking similar advantage of this amenity. Presumably the media-peddled perception that every hedge and tree is harbouring a paedophile is partly to blame for this...

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 3 Nov 2006, 16:07

I ment the £15000 school money

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 3 Nov 2006, 10:02

Same ole same ole.

I have allot of sympathy for the teens of Charlbury.
Apart from Football and Drama, there's not allot for them to do or places to go in Charlbury, especially during the winter months.

I know that some people's response to the recent media reports that British youth are the worse behaved in Europe is to demand the return of birch flogging, fear of authority and other 'traditional' remedies.

But I'd like to suggest a remedy along the lines of seeing the Community Centre resources tilted towards providing space and activities for teens.

IMHO

Paul Taylor
👍

Wed 1 Nov 2006, 20:34

Not again stealing from kids?

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 1 Nov 2006, 16:47

I know it's not that big a deal and all that's really been stolen is the transitory enjoyment of some Charlbury kids.

I just think mentioning the incident might bring some of the 'smiling angels' back down to earth.

Good and bad, just like everywhere else.

Julie Negus
👍

Wed 1 Nov 2006, 13:59

Do you know what thats awful..
We had 2 pumkins, halloween lights and a stereo with a spooky Cd on outside last night.It' s still there this morning. And thats in a London Borough! Just goes to show.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 1 Nov 2006, 13:13

You're not alone. Someone nicked our large pumpkin from the front of our drive last night, which the kids had tenderly nursed to a goodly size in our garden and then spent ages carving nicely.

When I were a lad in Canada - where halloween was a big thing even 45 years ago - never ever heard of this sort of thing.

Or am I just lamenting a passing golden age as I grow into Meldrewish middle age or indeed even elderlyness...

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sun 29 Oct 2006, 21:05

OK, regardless of my usual reminder that Charlbury is subject to the same laws of physics as anywhere else in Britain, I'd still like to know why anyone whould think it was wise or practical to steal all of the pumpkins from our informal Halloween celbration at the 3 Horseshoes tonight.

I mean, these were merely the efforts of a dozen 5 - 10 year olds who woud have liked to take the product of their efforts home with them.

Why wouled you want to deprive them of that?

However, the backhanded compliment of liking their efforts so much as to steal their efforts is not a 'nice thing to do'

My daughter would like her pumpkin back.

Welcome to Charlbury.

Fact.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.